Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Some help on graphics cards

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new graph card, so i can run counter-strike source at a solid 70-200 fps and cs 1.6 at 100+, so I was wondering if u guys knew any good graphics cards for around $100-$140. My comp specs r as follow,

HP Pavilion 522n
Processor- Intel Pentium 4 2.6 ghz speed
Ram- 512mb DDR SDRAM
Hard Drive- 160gb
Graphics card- a crappy integrated Intel 82845G 64mb of memory
Power Supply- I donno, prob less than 300 watts tho.
I also got window xp home edition

I saw some GeForce 7600's on newegg.com, they seemed good, but I pretty much know nothing about graph cards, so i dont know, heres a few links

Please help me out guys, thanks.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention i got a AGP slot.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
im currently running the HIS ATI Radeon X1300 256MB, has'nt gone wrong since i got it. i can play any game on high without any problems so its well worth the price tag

a quick link i found, within your price range

but if your willing to part with a bit more cash then go with either the BFG GeForce 7800 GS or GeCube ATI Radeon X1950

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You need to first determine what connector you have for a GPU, AGP or PCI-e. Then you have to find how much wattage your PC is currently using and how much it will use with a new card and find out if you need a new PSU or not. I also recommend getting more RAM

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i own a gigabyte 3d1 (google it)
i had bought it about 200E and i am very happy with the results

Reaction score
If all you play is old games like that then a cheap 6600GT will do you well. Any brand will do.

And if you want to know. Your brain wont tell a difference from anything above a solid 60fps. ;)

If you want to play slighly newer games like CS:S and thoes types then the 7600GS you have there will be better. But if you don't care about new games then the need for the extra power is useless.

I would also sugest you picking up more RAM. 512 just isn't enough. With 1gb of RAM it will be much more benifictial then you may think.

Also make sure your motherboard has the right slot for the card. Given your specs then you are limited to AGP and there isn't much AGP cards around so look for that. And if you don't have an AGP then good luck trying to fine a decent PCI card as there isn't many. I think tehre may be a PCI version of the 7300 but not to sure. (I'm talking about PCI and not PCI-Express, two different things)

NoPeace - out

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I would also sugest you picking up more RAM. 512 just isn't enough. With 1gb of RAM it will be much more benifictial then you may think.

Also make sure your motherboard has the right slot for the card.

You need to first determine what connector you have for a GPU, AGP or PCI-e.

I also recommend getting more RAM

>_< No comment

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you have no comment then why post "no comment"? Just spam.

And I was futher reinforcing what you said there. =P

Well, the point was that you said just about exactly the same as me, but seeing as that second sentance in that quote explains it... XD

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yeah, going from 1.5 gigs -> 2.0 gigs i noticed a huge difference.
And upgrading my older pc from 256 -> 768 i also noticed a massive difference again.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1.5GB to 2.0GB? I doubt you would see any boost with that much except if your running Vista. I use WinXP Pro fully tweaked (till my pc screwed me over) and I never go above 1GB (I have 1.5GB in)

Reaction score
Unless you are working with large video and image files, running games with large ammounts of textures, or running a server with a large data base there wont be much of a difference between 1.5-2.0gbs.

The only time I ever go over 1.2gb of RAM (and that's when I'm playing most demanding games or editing large pictures) is when I play the game Company of Hereos which itself eats up that much RAM.

And since you are running Linux I doubt very much you can pull that off since it uses very little resources.

NoPeace - out

Back