Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Help me pick a new system

Reaction score
I'm in desperate need of a new windows PC but I've got a serious problem with buying the best of the best when I probably don't 'need' the best.

This PC will be used mostly for programming and playing MMORPG's such as Black Desert Online and similar MMOs.

This is my 'ideal' system which of course is on the higher end of the spectrum but it's a lot of money to spend which puts me off, especially if I can get away with a lower spec PC

This was a cheaper alternative I was thinking

Or you can pick me a perfect one to suit my needs from the list here

I have never really owned a decent gaming PC so i've got no idea how each graphics cards perform, i'm more of a software person.

Reaction score
If you are able to build your system I would go with that route, pre-builts are pretty much always rip offs.

Thanks for moving the thread, I realised after posting :love:

When you add all the prices it's literally $50 more to get it prebuilt I just find that easier than doing it myself and ordering all the parts

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
AUD - if it was $150-200 more then I wouldn't order prebuilt but it saves me a lot of hassle

Ok, AUD, I understand your issue now aha.

If you want to be able to play games for the next year or two without upgrading (GPU) as such;
Great system with high fps (GPU) maxed on literally every game (for quite a while);

Last edited:
Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Assuming your budget is around almost a 1000 AUD.

Check this out.

You can buy the parts, and get it assembled by a local tech.
Do a bit of youtubing and decide yourself, which one do you want to buy. It is not necessary "what is expensive will be the best"

Reaction score
Assuming your budget is around almost a 1000 AUD.

Check this out.

You can buy the parts, and get it assembled by a local tech.
Do a bit of youtubing and decide yourself, which one do you want to buy. It is not necessary "what is expensive will be the best"

Thanks, my budget is basically $3100 as per my first choice but I kinda don't want to spend more than $2000 but I want to be able to run MMOs with good FPS. It's a lot of money to spend on a PC that I only really want to use for MMORPG's and programming so if I can get good performance out of a cheaper machine that would be perfect.

I could assemble myself if the savings was worth it.

Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thanks, my budget is basically $3100 as per my first choice but I kinda don't want to spend more than $2000 but I want to be able to run MMOs with good FPS. It's a lot of money to spend on a PC that I only really want to use for MMORPG's and programming so if I can get good performance out of a cheaper machine that would be perfect.

I could assemble myself if the savings was worth it.

You can get 60 FPS easy in high end games.
I wouldn't spend the whole 2000$ instead build a 900$ gaming pc and save the rest for future upgrading. And you will not get good performance with a 900$ build you will get a great performance.
If you can do a of bit research yourself as you will learn something new and also it is fun.

Send us your list of the parts you want to build. Good luck :thumbup1:

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
MMOs are more CPU bound than anything, the i5-4460 will get you a decent fps on Black Desert Online however the game actually uses quite a bit more GPU than most MMOs so a R9 380 should be fine. In general though you will want a better CPU over GPU specifically for MMOs. i5-4460 is still a very capable CPU. Just a note, I have played Black Desert Online CBT2 and it's very well optimised, just don't expect a constant 60FPS when around a lot of people within the main cities.

Modified version of Riizq's PCPartPicker link:

Some notes:
  • Changed the processor to a 4790 is a locked processor which means no overclocking. If you want overclocking just let me know and I'll update the pcpartpicker link.
  • Changed the case to an NZXT S340 Black since the H97 motherboard has USB 3.0 headers and yet the case provided by Riizq didn't.
  • Threw in an R9 390 since it's a brilliant card and should get you better performance than a R9 380. Just in case you wanted to play more demanding games.
  • Changed the RAM to 16GB since, personally, I feel 8GB is too limiting for heavy multi-tasking.
  • Added a CPU Cooler, Hyper 212 EVO, excellent CPU cooler.
  • Changed the WD Blue to WD Black (1TB).

The processor is a little bit overkill and it's basically a i5-4690 with hyper-threading but it multi-tasks a lot better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MMOs are more CPU bound than anything, the i5-4460 will get you a decent fps on Black Desert Online however the game actually uses quite a bit more GPU than most MMOs so a R9 380 should be fine. In general though you will want a better CPU over GPU specifically for MMOs. i5-4460 is still a very capable CPU. Just a note, I have played Black Desert Online CBT2 and it's very well optimised, just don't expect a constant 60FPS when around a lot of people within the main cities.

Modified version of Riizq's PCPartPicker link:

Some notes:
  • Changed the processor to a 4790 is a locked processor which means no overclocking. If you want overclocking just let me know and I'll update the pcpartpicker link.
  • Changed the case to an NZXT S340 Black since the H97 motherboard has USB 3.0 headers and yet the case provided by Riizq didn't.
  • Threw in an R9 390 since it's a brilliant card and should get you better performance than a R9 380. Just in case you wanted to play more demanding games.
  • Changed the RAM to 16GB since, personally, I feel 8GB is too limiting for heavy multi-tasking.
  • Added a CPU Cooler, Hyper 212 EVO, excellent CPU cooler.
  • Changed the WD Blue to WD Black (1TB).

The processor is a little bit overkill and it's basically a i5-4690 with hyper-threading but it multi-tasks a lot better.

Thanks for the detailed post, is the Radeon R9 better or not even comparable to something like the GTX 970? Also is SSD necessary or just useless extra expense?

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed post, is the Radeon R9 better or not even comparable to something like the GTX 970? Also is SSD necessary or just useless extra expense?

I, personally, would not build a computer without an SSD. I have my OS on one of my SSDs and it has yet to show any form of slow down. For gaming the benefit is minimal unless it's games like GTA V where the loading times are over a minute and a half with a HDD.

If you want a serious break down between the R9 390 vs GTX 970:

Preparing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Okay we can see clearly that 'nobrains ' has brains xD ( y u keep such usernames!! baaad boi !! )

I am not much into gaming, so I will pass the video.

I agree with nobrain on the part about SSD. It will cost few extra dollars but totally worth it.

"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, with the latest DirectX 12 benchmarks available, AMD is massively ahead of current Nvidia cards in terms of raw performance and fps stability. I have yet to see any AMD Vulkan API benchmarks. With DirectX 11 AMD was always behind Nvidia. DirectX 12 and Vulkan are basically the future of API's so there's something to think about.

Back