Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Need help picking a MOBO

Reaction score
Hello ragezoners!

For christmas I am planning to build a budget gaming PC:laugh:

So for the processor I picked this one :

If you can think of a better CPU + MOBO then this one then feel free to post a suggestion

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

For the motherboard I did choose the msi 890GMX motherboard but they don't carry it anymore on newegg:thumbdown:

So I was wondering if you guys can help me pick a mobo for around $100.
I will be using this computer for gaming and working.

The case will also be the antec 300 case :

I will also be putting big graphic cards such has the gtx 560 ti or the gtx 550ti so keep that in mind. I would also like HDMI on the mobo and HD audio:blushing:. Please keep in mind where the PCI-1.0 slots are because I might put in a wifi card and I don't want the GPU to block it!!!

Any suggestions? I prefer buying everything from newegg.ca

Last edited:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't know about others...but in my personal opinion..I wouldn't go with MSI. I purchased one brand new and it only lasted 3 months...I started getting BSOD's all the time so I returned it to the store and the found out it had bad component connections...they tried to give me the same one but I used the amount towards the price of a Gigabyte mobo...it's but running smooth now for nearly 3 years with no issues whatsoever.

This is the one I have...

It comes with HDMI on the HD 4250 integrated graphics, and 5.1 HD Audio.

And with its Hybrid technology you can Crossfire the Integrated graphics with an add on card...but the only if you can find a compatible card....

Another good thing is that it a AM3+ socket..meaning it can use the Sempron, Athelon, Phenom and even the FX series later when your ready to upgrade.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Personally, if the build is mainly for gaming, I'd go for i3 (3220).

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
^ Indeed.

For Mobo's, you need to ask yourself what connections it needs; Socket type, USB 2.0/3.0, how many PCI slots, what SATA type and so on. Then choose a good brand (Gigabyte and Asus are both good). Lastly find the mobo that has all the required connections and simply pick the cheapest one. Unless you're really into high performance stuff you won't notice the difference between a $80 or $300 Motherboard.

Goodluck

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Unless you're really into high performance stuff you won't notice the difference between a $80 or $300 Motherboard.

Goodluck

Not necessarily true...some mobo's use higher quality components which means they have a longer life.

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
True, but as I said, when buying a brand like asus or gigabyte you are almost 100% certain of a long lasting MoBo.

Reaction score
Ok so this might be my final build instead of getting the AMD!

~Intel core i3 2100 3.3 Ghz intel HD 4000 graphics :
~GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard :
~G Skill ripjaw 8gb ram 1600 :
~Antec Three hundred black :
~The graphic card will come last but I think I'm going to go with the gtx 560 ti :

Toal cost should come to around : $510(with shipping and all that)

*I already have a 650w cooler master power supply
*Also have a 1tb seagate hardrive and 250gb hardive and lastly I have a dvd writer/burner

Any suggestions or parts to make this build cheaper/better?

Last edited:
butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Seems alrighty. It's all compatible so I'd say go for it. Unless anyone can find it cheaper or 'better' parts for the same price.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you edited and steered away from MSI. You would have been dissapointed I'm sure :)

Reaction score
Thanks, my only concern about this build is how the I3 will perform with application's. I saw when it opens applications it's pretty bad compared to the i5.

Also just a quick question but which is better, sandy bridge or Ivy bridge?

Reaction score
Uh, just wondering if this i5 would perform better then the i3 because I will be running application and video editing.

Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Obviously it will run better than the i3. It's clocked higher, has double the Cache and double the Cores. If you want a future-proof build I'd go with the i5. If you have the money obviously.

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Will the stock fan keep this cool enough or should I buy another one?
Why would they include a fan that wasn't fit for purpose? Providing you don't overclock the stock fan is fine.

Back