Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Help Tweeking Computer

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It used to be bearable, but it's gotten pretty bad lately. Before, I was able to play games like WoW on high graphics just fine, lagging only when I'd go into heavily populated areas. Now, I lag on the lowest of settings, while in areas where there's no one. Same with games like MapleStory. I lag whenever I use any kind of skill. I'm not entirely sure why it's doing it, or how to fix it. I never really "tweeked" my settings on my computer to get the maximum output of it so any help is appreciated. Here's what I have.

Processor
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]3.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 260[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]256 kilobyte primary memory cache[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]64-bit ready[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Multi-core (2 total)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Not hyper-threaded

Motherboard
Code:
[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Board: ASRock 880GM-LE [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Bus Clock: 200 megahertz[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.20 06/18/2010

[/COLOR]ATI Radeon HD 5670 [Display adapter]

4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB (serial number SerNum00)
Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB (serial number SerNum01)

This is Windows 7. I'm cleaning out a lot of the junk programs in it that I don't use anymore like Netbeans and such, but I don't see much of an improvement. I also moved my 900 gb of movies to the external hard drive, still no difference. One thing I have noticed though is when I start up my computer, there's two "windows 7" selections, and the only one that can be chosen is the bottom one.... how do I get rid of that?

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Assuming the second Windows 7 option is either a dual-boot or most likely a Windows.old, that can be removed using Disk Cleanup and by selecting to remove previous Windows installations. Disk cleanup cleans up a load of old, safe to remove temporary files, so that should give you a wee hand. As always, defrag your PC at least once a week, use tools like CCleaner, virus scans, usual basic maintenance stuff.

Reaction score
CCleaner to remove temp files & registry clean
Defraggler to defrag your HDD
Both can be found at

And yea Disk Cleanup to remove that other Windows installation it "thinks" it has.

Also keep in mind the WoW engine has updated from a few years ago so what was playing on High then will run on Low now.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
spybot <-
virus scan

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
To be honest, unless I am there and specifically working on your computer by hand, there is only so much that can be done without being an expert in the area of 'tweaking' a computer.

As above, use a few of those programs, clean out any old software. DONT install add on toolbars for browsers, get rid of internet explorer and all its addons. Get rid of all your icons on the desktop, make everything as clean as possible. Also, check your Startup folder, and make sure no crap is in that area. Install the latest GPU drivers for your computer, perform a defrag every week.

If you are interested in spending a little $$ for a performance increase, upgrade yourself to an SSD. Life will be quite different with an SSD, install just iwndows and a few minor programs on it (128gb is a good size) and your computer will have new life breathed into it from that point on.

Back