Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Can I install Windows 8.1 on several PC's with 1 license?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Few days back I made a thread asking if I should switch to 8.1 and so I did. Now my brother is also considering about upgrading, but he doesn't have a license.
I was sure that I read somewhere that a Windows 8.1 Pro Retail key can be used on 3 PC's, but I can not find the site anymore. Can someone confirm if this is actually true and possible?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You can only have one "RETAIL" copy of Windows 8 ACTIVATED on a computer at a time....you can install it as many times as you like but when it's activated with your retail key is will deactivate the old one....causing you to lose your background and have that banner on the bottom, warning of piracy.

Now (T) there (O) are (R) other (R) ways (E) that (N) can (T) be (T) accomplished (H) as (A) many (T) times (B) as (I) you (T) like (C) *wink* (H) *wink*

Reaction score
Yes and no. Can you "legally" do it? Nope. But there's no stopping you. Just install it and DO NOT web activate it. When you go to activate windows, disconnect your PC from the internet. It will give you an error saying there is no internet access and then asks if you want to try other activation methods. Then simply do a phone activation and when they ask you how many other PCs have this copy of windows installed tell them none.

It's as simple as that. I've been doing this since Windows Vista came out every time I go and upgrade my PC.

Reaction score
Yes and no. Can you "legally" do it? Nope. But there's no stopping you. Just install it and DO NOT web activate it. When you go to activate windows, disconnect your PC from the internet. It will give you an error saying there is no internet access and then asks if you want to try other activation methods. Then simply do a phone activation and when they ask you how many other PCs have this copy of windows installed tell them none.

It's as simple as that. I've been doing this since Windows Vista came out every time I go and upgrade my PC.

My favorite way :0)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Will this affect the updates somehow?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
You can only have one "RETAIL" copy of Windows 8 ACTIVATED on a computer at a time....you can install it as many times as you like but when it's activated with your retail key is will deactivate the old one....causing you to lose your background and have that banner on the bottom, warning of piracy.

Now (T) there (O) are (R) other (R) ways (E) that (N) can (T) be (T) accomplished (H) as (A) many (T) times (B) as (I) you (T) like (C) *wink* (H) *wink*
I'm well aware of this secondary option (Haven't had legit Windows ever before now), but since I happen to have a legit license I would rather take that option first.
NoPeace, nice to know this kind of method is possible, but I guess I'll just keep this key to myself only. I'll just tell my brother to use Monoliths method.

Thank you to both though.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Far as I know as soon as the second computer connects for updates and the MS server notices 2 different MAC addresses using that key it will deactivate the previous one.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
if theat original contact to microsoft :) (because there only 1 pc for 1 licensed)

Back