Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Ipad/Youtube interrupt Wireless

Master Summoner
Reaction score
So when someone starts watching videos on youtube with the Ipad, all wireless connections get interrupted and either shut off or become slow. While the person is watching their video on their Ipad, the others cannot have stable wireless connection. All streams on any other wireless device get interrupted. Its like the Ipad takes front row seat and kicks everyone else to the back when it is "activated." Not only streams are affected on other devices, but gaming is not viable either (ping becomes high or a complete disconnect occurs).

I have seen the problem occur only with Youtube, but I assume all streaming done by the Ipad interrupts the wireless. When I stream on a Laptop, no one gets interrupted. I've taken the Ipad to the Apple Store and they said nothing is wrong with the Ipad. They also said they can't go by my word and they have to actually see the problem in action, which doesnt occur when I stream on the Ipad with their wireless. I've tried searching for an answer to somehow make the Ipad have less priority, but I cant find any :\ Any help would be great

Router:
- NETGEAR DGN2200v3 (router is up to date)

Connection:
- AT&T DSL (3 mbps)

Problem:
- IPad 2 (fully updated)

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I can personally say I have never heard of such a problem before...the only way I can see this happening is if all devices share the same IP and one kicks the other...but thats even a stretch...DHCP usually handles that.

One way to isolate the problem is to try your Ipad at another wifi source...friends...Starbucks..McDonalds...anywhere...if the issue is still there than it's the Ipad...

Thats really my only piece of advice...I know it's not much but I wanted to at least let you know you weren't being ignored.

Reaction score
For everything slowing down I would say that's just your slow DSL, 3MB is not much at all and constantly streaming would easily use all of that bandwidth. You say it's not happening on the other devices - what if you stream the exact same thing on your laptop? I put it down to the iPad establishing a faster stream than the other devices and using more bandwidth than they do (though the other devices probably need to buffer more?). Is this streaming from a site or an app? The QoS on your router may be prioritizing the streaming data from iPad while not properly detecting it on your other devices. What about if you connect the iPad to a 2ndary network (like 5Ghz if you have it, or a guest Network which Netgear 2200 should have).

Master Summoner
Reaction score
I can personally say I have never heard of such a problem before...the only way I can see this happening is if all devices share the same IP and one kicks the other...but thats even a stretch...DHCP usually handles that.

One way to isolate the problem is to try your Ipad at another wifi source...friends...Starbucks..McDonalds...anywhere...if the issue is still there than it's the Ipad...

Thats really my only piece of advice...I know it's not much but I wanted to at least let you know you weren't being ignored.

IP isnt the same. The IPad only does this on my home network. Sorry I got to this late, was sick :(

For everything slowing down I would say that's just your slow DSL, 3MB is not much at all and constantly streaming would easily use all of that bandwidth. You say it's not happening on the other devices - what if you stream the exact same thing on your laptop? I put it down to the iPad establishing a faster stream than the other devices and using more bandwidth than they do (though the other devices probably need to buffer more?). Is this streaming from a site or an app? The QoS on your router may be prioritizing the streaming data from iPad while not properly detecting it on your other devices. What about if you connect the iPad to a 2ndary network (like 5Ghz if you have it, or a guest Network which Netgear 2200 should have).

when I try to stream a video (on youtube, dailymotion, or any streaming site) on my laptop, I can safely play any online game w/o a disconnect. Yea 3 mb is crap,but any device (other than the iPad) that streams a video does not disconnect me, only causes some lag. The issue is that the iPad literally cuts me off and the connection is never stable, until I turn off its wireless. I think they use an app to get on youtube. When I stream on youtube on my laptop, I can stream 4 different other videos and play an online game w/o disconnect.I will try QoS today when League of Legends comes back online. How would the guest network help me? Never used it [URL="
drksage - Ipad/Youtube interrupt Wireless - RaGEZONE Forums

Reaction score
a) switching networks will tell you if it's the internet that is slowing down or the actual Wireless bandwidth
b) depending on your QoS, it should also help even the loads between your 2 networks so it may be more stable

What about if you use the browser to go to youtube.com on your iPad rather than using the App?

Master Summoner
Reaction score
from what i remember, the person can't use any flash websites, since iPad doesnt support it.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I know on my Iphone 4 I can go to youtube in Safari and run the videos that way...using Safari you can change the videos from HQ and they will run better....the App runs them at HQ all the time with no option to change.

Reaction score
I know on my Iphone 4 I can go to youtube in Safari and run the videos that way...using Safari you can change the videos from HQ and they will run better....the App runs them at HQ all the time with no option to change.

That sounds like the exact problem. Your laptops will auto-adjust the resolution according to your download speed, if the App is forcing 1080p or w/e at all times then 3MB is NOT enough to sustain that. I've been on a 3MB connection for 2 years now.

Master Summoner
Reaction score

didnt know that o.o will check tomorrow and see if I can run youtube on safari.

That sounds like the exact problem. Your laptops will auto-adjust the resolution according to your download speed, if the App is forcing 1080p or w/e at all times then 3MB is NOT enough to sustain that. I've been on a 3MB connection for 2 years now.

I tried this video at 1080p and played LoL, didnt get disconnected. I also tried 3 youtube videos (at the same time) with all them set to 1080p, my computer started to freeze but i didnt get disconnected from LoL. The freezing is probably due to not resetting my computer for about a week and it hibernates or is left on 24/7. I'll try again tomorrow with the Safari suggestion and see if that fixes it. I'll also restart my laptop and try to do that test again.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hibernate is bad....it really screws Windows up...I've never had a computer that can use hibernate and not have issues with it from time to time. I leave my computer on fully 24/7 because I'm a believer that this can increase the life of your mobo...cooling and heating sequences can cause the silicone to pull away from the connections. (My personal opinion...not advice for others.)

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Hibernate is bad....it really screws Windows up...I've never had a computer that can use hibernate and not have issues with it from time to time. I leave my computer on fully 24/7 because I'm a believer that this can increase the life of your mobo...cooling and heating sequences can cause the silicone to pull away from the connections. (My personal opinion...not advice for others.)

interesting.. when i leave my laptop on, it becomes really slow and i have to restart it. When I put it into hibernate (close the lid), I can wait a longer time before I have to restart it.

For the problem at hand, I can't get good results atm. League is acting up. The good thing I guess is that I havent been completely disconnected and sent to the reconnection screen (this is after I turned on QoS and added TCP port 5222 and 5223 to the priority list). I also found out that the user stopped using the youtube app and is using safari. I'll keep updating to see if the problem is resolved.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
So the router was reset. All the settings on it were changed. The problems werent occurring before the reset, but after it, they started to occur again. Once I turned the QoS back on, everything started to run smoothly as it did before the reset. I think QoS fixed the problem, but I need to check one more time to see if the user was actually streaming on the Ipad after I turned it on.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
I was about to post a thread about this problem.

I have the exact same issue. If any device on my network starts streaming youtube my internet connection becomes so slow and this is noticeable mostly when I am playing games such as League of Legends where my ping goes up to 2k ( It went up to 11k once). The internet doesn't become slow when I am streaming from twitch or downloading a torrent but only from youtube. I have unlimited bandwidth.

Back