Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

New Laptop

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hello guys and girls! Happy new year!

I've decided to buy a new laptop, budget is around $850 or on my currency 1300 lv.
I need some help on choosing a reliable laptop. I have to mention that I cant afford buy something from around the world and the most of the things here in Bulgaria are overpriced. I just need a suggestion for a laptop. I know that there are a lot of people here who have experience. So please be so kind and suggest me something accord to the budged.
Thanks in advance!

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What will you be using it for mostly?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well considering I'm working on a part time job, having responsibilities towards a student organization and i'm in university, mostly working (working means text document editing and creating also working with heavy software like Photoshop) and some gaming of course. Liked the Asus posted below, but I've heard that they have problems with cooling, tried to search a bit on the topic, but didnt find anything.

Currently I've liked this which goes pretty nice with the budget:

ASUS K53SD-SX248D
CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz/3.10GHz 6MB L3 Cache
RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz
HDD: 750 GB SATA
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M с 2GB DDR3

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well considering I'm working on a part time job, having responsibilities towards a student organization and i'm in university, mostly working (working means text document editing and creating also working with heavy software like Photoshop) and some gaming of course. Liked the Asus posted below, but I've heard that they have problems with cooling, tried to search a bit on the topic, but didnt find anything.

Currently I've liked this which goes pretty nice with the budget:

ASUS K53SD-SX248D
CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz/3.10GHz 6MB L3 Cache
RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz
HDD: 750 GB SATA
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M с 2GB DDR3

If you have Lenovo stuff out there in Bulgaria, get it. Asus usually has crappy cooling, designing and assembly.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
My aim at first was Lenovo, I just love the configurations they offer, the design and the price. I dont usually listen really much to others, but this will be the first thing I will buy with my own money after I have started working, so I want it to be good. Friend of mine told me that Lenovo werent really good and started comparing them to HP. Anyway thank you guys for giving suggestion, waiting for even more!

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
My aim at first was Lenovo, I just love the configurations they offer, the design and the price. I dont usually listen really much to others, but this will be the first thing I will buy with my own money after I have started working, so I want it to be good. Friend of mine told me that Lenovo werent really good and started comparing them to HP. Anyway thank you guys for giving suggestion, waiting for even more!

Yeah, HP probably beats Lenovo when it comes down to support. But for assembly, cooling, design, etcetera the Lenovo are a way better choice than HP.

Old Time Member
Reaction score
I'm using an Asus N46VZ-i7 no problems with cooling here, i play games with ultra graphics all day, still working fine and smooth ^^

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have the Asus n56vz and have no need for extra cooling fans, ever. Playing games on high settings and still having high FPS.
If you want to photoshop and game you might want to get something better than the GeForce 610M (like the 630M or even 650M).

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well that sounds nice, I had the impression that have had problems with the cooling so that's why I haven't paid a good attention of the offers they have.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Currently set my eye on this and its right according to the budget:
Worrying that Acer got crappy cooling tho ...

ACER V3-571G-73634G50MAII
CPU: Core i7-3632QM (2.2/3.2 GHz, 6MB cache)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
HDD: 500 GB SATA - 5400 rpm
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 2GB DDR3

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Currently set my eye on this and its right according to the budget:
Worrying that Acer got crappy cooling tho ...

ACER V3-571G-73634G50MAII
CPU: Core i7-3632QM (2.2/3.2 GHz, 6MB cache)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
HDD: 500 GB SATA - 5400 rpm
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 2GB DDR3

Both the harddisk and GPU are bad. I seriously wouldn't go with Acer, they put in cheap harddrives (5400 rpm) and low end chipsets (GPU, audio, etc.) and they fall apart as soon as you lift the notebook with one hand.

If you want real quality, go with HP, MSI or Dell. If you want the best type of hardware you can get for your money, go with Lenovo. If you want to regret buying a notebook, go with Acer/Asus/Packard Bell/etc.

Reaction score
Both the harddisk and GPU are bad. I seriously wouldn't go with Acer, they put in cheap harddrives (5400 rpm) and low end chipsets (GPU, audio, etc.) and they fall apart as soon as you lift the notebook with one hand.

If you want real quality, go with HP, MSI or Dell. If you want the best type of hardware you can get for your money, go with Lenovo. If you want to regret buying a notebook, go with Acer/Asus/Packard Bell/etc.

Nothing wrong with Acer. A HDD isn't "cheap" just because it's 5400RPM, there are several benefits to having a slower HDD - Lower spin rate means a lower failure rate, lower operating temperature, and increased lifespan. The 2GB 630M is also more powerful than any other GPU you would find in a budget laptop & coming with 8GB RAM saves you having to upgrade in the future. The Acer V3-571G also comes with dual-band WiFi also not usually found in budget laptops.

If the price is right, i would get that Acer. Comparing it to MSI or Dell is fine but they aren't at the same price point as this one. HP & Asus should also be swapped from your list of "what to get, what to avoid", i would never buy another HP but my Asus G73 has been a beast for the past 2 years.

Slothstronaut
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Moved to the support area, I'd listen to Rishwin for the record, he's more than experienced and knows what he's talking about.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No clue why you had to moved it though ...
Anyway
HP? They always tend to put a nice CPU and a fail GPU and yet they are overpriced. About the crappy parts I dont think so, all people complain about when having an Acer is the cooling. Then again I can buy a cooling platform for that matter. I need a good laptop for the money, cuz I dont want to close an amount of money now for a crappy one and then spend even more for a better. I'm working 8 hours a day, going to the university and being a part of AIESEC, which means I've got responsibilities there as well. I mainly use the laptop for SEO and graphical design for my AIESEC work and my actual work. When it comes to the weekend that's probably the only time of the week where I'll have some free time to play on the laptop.
The Acer compared to the Asus I have posted is way better in my opinion, but I'll keep searching for other offers.

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Acer. A HDD isn't "cheap" just because it's 5400RPM, there are several benefits to having a slower HDD - Lower spin rate means a lower failure rate, lower operating temperature, and increased lifespan.

Sure, those are the benefits of a 5400 rpm drive, but fact is that they're extremely slow. Also, another advantage, it takes less power consumption. Yet, I wouldn't go with a 5400 rpm drive, it gets really, really, really slow once your OS gets filled up with updates and other stuff. He's asking for advice, my advice is to not get one because it's slow. If he's looking for everything you listed he should definitely pick one, if he goes for speed (which is what I assumed), he should not go with one.

The 2GB 630M is also more powerful than any other GPU you would find in a budget laptop & coming with 8GB RAM saves you having to upgrade in the future. The Acer V3-571G also comes with dual-band WiFi also not usually found in budget laptops.

The 630M is low low and again low budget, the amount of video memory doesn't really matter for that type. The 630m has a benchmark score of 768 against, for example, 1272 of the 650M. That's roughly 180%.

If the price is right, i would get that Acer. Comparing it to MSI or Dell is fine but they aren't at the same price point as this one. HP & Asus should also be swapped from your list of "what to get, what to avoid", i would never buy another HP but my Asus G73 has been a beast for the past 2 years.

When it comes down to build quality, I'd definitely go with HP and not Asus. But you can get lucky with either brand.

HP? They always tend to put a nice CPU and a fail GPU and yet they are overpriced.

They're definitely overpriced. Yet they have better warranty than pretty much any other brand around here. Same goes for customer care.

About the crappy parts I dont think so, all people complain about when having an Acer is the cooling. Then again I can buy a cooling platform for that matter. I need a good laptop for the money, cuz I dont want to close an amount of money now for a crappy one and then spend even more for a better. I'm working 8 hours a day, going to the university and being a part of AIESEC, which means I've got responsibilities there as well. I mainly use the laptop for SEO and graphical design for my AIESEC work and my actual work. When it comes to the weekend that's probably the only time of the week where I'll have some free time to play on the laptop.
The Acer compared to the Asus I have posted is way better in my opinion, but I'll keep searching for other offers.

Acer is considered low budget notebooks. They give you a nice amount of hardware for your money, but their harddrives are 5400 rpm pretty much all the time.

The choice is entirely yours, you can pick an Acer notebook and have fun with it for 3 years in a row. I however wouldn't recommend it, they usually break down rather soon and repair under warranty can take as much as months, leaving you without any type of Acer products.

Reaction score
Sure, those are the benefits of a 5400 rpm drive, but fact is that they're extremely slow. Also, another advantage, it takes less power consumption. Yet, I wouldn't go with a 5400 rpm drive, it gets really, really, really slow once your OS gets filled up with updates and other stuff. He's asking for advice, my advice is to not get one because it's slow. If he's looking for everything you listed he should definitely pick one, if he goes for speed (which is what I assumed), he should not go with one.
They are slightly slower than a 7200RPM drive. If your concern is HDD speed, you should be boycotting every mechanical HDD & going straight for an SSD. The 7200->SSD difference is at least 100 greater than the difference from 5400->7200rpm. Look at it this way - If he is concerned with HDD speed & does want to upgrade to an SSD in the future, he will want that spare 5400RPM drive to put into an enclosure & use as a storage drive. You do not want a 7200RPM storage drive for the reasons i listed in my last post, you want a 5400RPM drive.

The 630M is low low and again low budget, the amount of video memory doesn't really matter for that type. The 630m has a benchmark score of 768 against, for example, 1272 of the 650M. That's roughly 180%.
No it's not. The 630M is an upgraded 540M which is a mid-range card. I have a 540M in my Alienware M11x R3 which i am typing on right now & have never had issues with it playing anything. Wow, Diablo 3, Darksiders 2, DOTA 2, Torchlight 2... Runs them all flawlessly on mid-high. That's a 1GB 540M too, a 2GB 630M will be marginally better.
Acer is considered low budget notebooks. They give you a nice amount of hardware for your money, but their harddrives are 5400 rpm pretty much all the time.
Again, you're naming the 5400RPM drive as the only thing wrong with the Acer. If that's the only thing wrong with it & the HDD is user-upgradeable then that shouldn't be an issue at all. If i'm replacing the stock drive with an SSD i want the stock to be a 5400RPM, not a 7200RPM.
The choice is entirely yours, you can pick an Acer notebook and have fun with it for 3 years in a row. I however wouldn't recommend it, they usually break down rather soon and repair under warranty can take as much as months, leaving you without any type of Acer products.
3 years is the realistic lifespan of a laptop, considering the warranty for most is only 1 year. Regardless of what he gets today, in 3 years time it will all be outdated. From that list, Dell is also the ONLY company which does in-home repairs, so unless you're getting a Dell you will always be without a laptop when it's sent for repairs.

Back