Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[LAPTOP]No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Status
Not open for further replies.
R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Basically, installed the latest Windows 7 update, when it turned back on I just gave me this;

FatalLulz - [LAPTOP]No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key - RaGEZONE Forums

I tried google but all the stuff it said I can't do. I can't access the BIOS/start up manager.

Things I've tried,
Taking out battery, removing power cord, holding power button to empty all power
Tapped where my HDD is located incase wire isn't touching
Pressed enter, nothing happened.

Anyone got an idea?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Every time I have had this issue it's been with an Acer laptop....and the way I fix it is by COMPLETELY removing the hard drive from the lap top, then cleaning the connectors with a cotton swab with a little rubbing alcohol on it then re-installing it....the reason your getting this error is because for some reason the hard drive is not being read by the BIOS...so it thinks there is no hard drive at all. Think about it like blowing on the cartridges on the NES...same concept :)

Completely remove the battery before removing the hard drive...no sense taking the chance of shorting something out.

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@Monolith tried that. Did not work sadly :(: I ran a startup repair scan and it said the HDD was fine and in working order, but nothing shows it as existing. All I want is the files from it, couldn't care about the rest.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So just out of curiosity...why exactly can you not get into BIOS? This would be a lot easier to diag if you could. Is it because this is popping up even before BIOS is available?

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yes. I turn it on, straight to this. I've tried pushing F2 and F12 nothing ever happens. I inserted my old recovery discs but it doesn't even pick up on them.

Reaction score
@FatalLulz
Just a very likely solution.
Flashing the BIOS via USB chip.
Solved it for this guy.

About 3rd or 4th post down.
HA! I fixed it. Flashed the BIOS via USB.

The catch: Had to use the "BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)" from the Acer website. The Windows 7 one did not work even though the Acer Support Agent instructed me to.

Thanks, everyone.

Anyhow, it never hurts to update BIOS. :0)

EDIT:
Adding link to the thread this quote came from (in case you'd like to read it in its entirety).
This quote came from page # 2, but this is the primary link to page # 1

Joe,

Hello... After thinking a bit ...what might be the problem

1. When you "wiped" the HD the system "protected" the GPT bits ( first two partitions) so it wasn't complete .. and GPT remains.

2. Check with a boot time Partition manager like "G Parted " to see "whats sup" with the HD

3. It's possible that you did "wipe" the drive , but left it "Unallocated" . Then it would appear with the message " no bootable device found" So you would need to make it Primary \ Active ...drive letter etc.

4. If that is the case ..you could then load the "7" disk and you should be good to go...That's only if the "secure boot \ security" thing will accept the Win 7 disk.. Worth a try Regards Fred

Another good suggestion.

I also did not see you testing the emergency BIOS access key strokes.

FN + Escape key

Try it.

Another post about that UEFI legacy boot / Secure mode (plus the link to the page about how to remove the watermark)

(IF you use it link to download the UEFI shell: )

These are best cases I can find bro.
Much luck <3

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@DNC I found the first post, but realised I don't have another computer x.x

The emergency way got me into the BIOS :eek: But it says my HDD a slot is empty/corrupted. I took it out, cleaned it all up, didn't work sadly

Reactions: DNC
Reaction score
Another:

When you buy a new PC, it is up to you to make any recovery disks/recovery drives. They've not been supplied as standard for many years now!

You have 3 options:

1. Restart your PC. Hold down ALT & press F10 continually. This should boot into the Acer eRecovery program. Just be wary - this may overwrite all data.

2. Go to Acer support for your region, where you can buy recovery media for your model. Note - this will overwrite everything on the hard drive, but will reinstall Windows to "factory condition"

3. See if you can borrow a Windows 8 disk - not an OEM, but a retail version - and use it to boot to the recovery tools

Another

Don't forget to leave the drive out a bit. I recommend, pulling the battery first, then the drive. Grab a cup of coffee (give it a few minutes).
Come back and reinstall the drive and then the battery.
Give it a shot.
(keep in mind it may take more than one time doing this. I used to Hate my Acer)

FatalLulz
Also make sure when you are in BIOS that you Validate whether Secure Boot mode is Enabled/Disabled.
You want to be testing it set to Disabled (apparently from the Acer support threads)

USB boot image for GParted (in case you have that empty partition mentioned)
Download at the site --->

Out of ideas, but I'll keep an eye out for solutions
Cheers bro

You are checking both ends of the ribbon strip aren't you?
At this point it can't hurt.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
It could just be that the hard-drive is broken.

Reactions: DNC
R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the HDD is broken. I put it in a friends computer and it didn't work. Tried a different HDD in my laptop and it didn't work either. I think the laptop has fried itself.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Didn't bother to read all the above replies, but your hard disk is dead. Just buy an SSD or a new HDD and it should work. Happened the same to me on Win 10. Cheers.

It's sad. But i think this happens a lot. Idk why. It's bizarre. Maybe some POST tests, and testing. Might be able to deduce something. If the hard drive does need to be repaired, you might as well just buy a new one. It's a field replaceable unit.

UEFI boot is for 2terabyte or more hardrives. That's usually turned off.

Also. Windows 8. $A#%*^#()*^$()%*#)$( hate that software. So many problems with it on launch.

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Turns out my "circuit protected board" where all my electronics plugin was shortcircuiting... It blew my tv about 20 minutes ago. Did some DIY electronic testing, was shorting out badly. Bugger. Not going to have a computer for ages. Thanks for the help all!
Monolith can close this now buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back