Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Motherboard acting strange.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Okay first of all here are my pc specs:

• AMD FX 8350
  • RX 580
  • 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ Ram
  • MSI 970 Gaming MotherBoard
  • 1000W EVGA PSU Gold

Okay this issue just occurred recently. After i installed the creators update but since then i have went back to the anniversary update. But the problem is my PC when i restart it the monitors just stay black screen saying no signal. sometimes it does boot up but i have to unhook the power cord and hold the power button in for 30 secs to reset the motherboard sometimes even have to pull out the 24 power pin cord in order to get it to even give me a signal again. Now i can just leave my pc on and have no problems but if i put the pc to sleep or turn it off it won't turn back on until i do those things.

What have i done?

• Move the GPU From PCI-E from 1 to 2.
  • Took the CPU out and put it back in.
  • Removed the RAM and put it back in.
  • Took out the battery to clear CMOS left out for 10-15 mins
  • Unhooked the 24 Power Pin Connector
  • Change power cords

Now honestly i really have no idea because my command center system is not even picking up the CPU frequency. So thats why honestly i think its the motherboard

i have no idea if the screws are just to tight but i don't think thats the issue.

If anyone has any idea's please let me know!

Reaction score
Have you tried multiple monitors and multiple forms of connections from GPU to Monitor? Strip everything down to the bare minimum; 1 stick of RAM, if you have a different GPU that you know works - plug that in temporarily, only your boot drive connected.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Sadly i know its not the GPU. but yes i have done multiple monitors. And yes i have strip everything down. I already tried with my rx 280 as well. Same result.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Swap out of the power supply and give that a shot, possibly a lack of power.

Nope sorry it wasn't the psu gpu or anything. It was the motherboard. As i thought. because when i put back in my ASUS MB everything boots up perfect. restarts just fine and bonus GUESS WHAT!!!! I can put my pc to sleep!!! Again xD Thank you NoBrain for your help.

Reaction score
Nope sorry it wasn't the psu gpu or anything. It was the motherboard. As i thought. because when i put back in my ASUS MB everything boots up perfect. restarts just fine and bonus GUESS WHAT!!!! I can put my pc to sleep!!! Again xD Thank you @NoBrain for your help.
Ah, I see. Best to check everything and be sure before throwing in a new motherboard because it's a royal pain the in the arse :p

At least you got it fixed.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Best to check everything and be sure before throwing in a new motherboard because it's a royal pain the in the arse :p

At least you got it fixed.

Well i mean at first i thought maybe it was the GPU cause signal usually goes out meaning its usually that part. But then i noticed my motherboard was acting really strange. Because during playing games like titanfall2 for example my fan speed will just hit 0 RPM for no reason what so ever. And then i wasn't about to put my pc to sleep without resetting the bios. And wasn't about to turn off the pc either. So i just got tired of it and took everything out of the case and hooked up my asus MB and it worked.

Reaction score
Well i mean at first i thought maybe it was the GPU cause signal usually goes out meaning its usually that part. But then i noticed my motherboard was acting really strange. Because during playing games like titanfall2 for example my fan speed will just hit 0 RPM for no reason what so ever. And then i wasn't about to put my pc to sleep without resetting the bios. And wasn't about to turn off the pc either. So i just got tired of it and took everything out of the case and hooked up my asus MB and it worked.

How old was the faulty motherboard?

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
How old was the faulty motherboard?

Honestly its not the fact that it's old i think its just a bad motherboard by MSI as this is the fourth or fifth time i had to send it back. This one lasted about 3-4 months. at max.

Reaction score
Honestly its not the fact that it's old i think its just a bad motherboard by MSI as this is the fourth or fifth time i had to send it back. This one lasted about 3-4 months. at max.

Wow, I've had my current motherboard for about 8 months and I've had absolutely no issues. My board is also from MSI. I understand your motherboard is quite old and not as refined as more modern motherboards due to you having an old chipset but still, surprised you've had so many issues with MSI.

If you are still getting issues, consider other brands like ASUS for example.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Wow, I've had my current motherboard for about 8 months and I've had absolutely no issues. My board is also from MSI. I understand your motherboard is quite old and not as refined as more modern motherboards due to you having an old chipset but still, surprised you've had so many issues with MSI.

If you are still getting issues, consider other brands like ASUS for example.

Yes i was planning to buy the ASUS when i got my first motherboard it was okay for almost a year until i updated the bios and crashed it. Ever since then i got nothing but faulty MB even for example my last board wouldn't pick up all my ram i had 32 GB installed and only 16 Was usable. So when i send this in for RMA and it doesn't work #Refund

Back