Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Motherboard fried?

Reaction score
So I bought a new PC component inserted it into my PC and now my windows is stuck at windows is starting. The tech guy at the support hotline said it's not because of my new component it's because of I made a mistake at inserting the new component. But I'm pretty sure I didn't. So is the motherboard fried or is my windows partition broken?
Edit:

So I tried this:
1. Secure mode / safe mode -> restart at welcome screen (reset?)
2. With new card & without new card & internal card -> windows is starting

Last edited:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
More info required.....

What OS?
What component?
Do you mean without the card installed the computer works fine?

Reaction score
Component: Graphics card

No. Before I opened my PC. Everything was fine (Windows downloaded an update). After the PC was off I removed the old one, installed the new one, after that the PC didn't go beyond "Windows is starting". The secure mode didn't work either. Then I tried without the new card but with the old one -> same result. Then I tried with the graphics card of my mother board and the same result. "Windows is starting" and secure mode instant reboot..

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Did you attampt to do a clean install?

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What was the before card, and what was the after card?

If you had AMD drivers and didn't uninstall them before installing an Nvidia card, you will have major driver conflicts. It may have tried auto installing the Nvidia drivers which would cause a double whammy.

Restart teh computer and hold F8 while the computer restarts.. then select Safe Mode, which will put you into a driveless state. Uninstall all graphics drivers and then restart the computer. You can do this with the new card still installed.

After you uninstall everything and you restart the computer, you should log back into windows in a rough 800x600 resolution and basic ~256 colors, download the latest drivers for your video card and let us know how that goes.

Loyal Member
Reaction score
Before nvidia GTX 970, after: nvidia titan

To the secure mode thing:

Ahh hah, I should have read more carefully.. sorry about that!

Next question: What power rating is your PSU? You are going from a TDP ~170 watt power card, to a ~250+ watt card, there may possibly be a lack of stable power causing a booting issue.

Edit: By Stable, the voltage rating per power rail might possibly be low.

Loyal Member
Reaction score
So, your 12v rails are proper for the card, your other hardware is fine (If it boots into windows, it means the initial BIOS check went through proper). Memory is fine, and I woudl assume you connected both 8 pin's to the Titan.

With it doing the same thing after putting the old card in, it suddenly enters a grey area as far as whether it is a software or hardware issue.

Next step would be to reset your BIOS to its default state, remove any overclocked values and get it back to stock. It could very well be a voltage issue with your RAM, which could definitely cause a windows hanging issue.

Problems like this are hard to diagnose over the internet, if I had it in hand I could run some diagnostics with a USB drive and start knocking things off the hardware/software list.

Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yep! Anytime! I do IT Administration, Tech Support, Cloud Server Administration and all kidns of stuff for a living.. I take a break from Ragezone off and on, but always end up coming back to lurk.

Hopefully we can get this figured out!

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
No idea if this will help but if you have any other hard drives installed other than drive your OS is on, try unplugging them and booting up. I was having a problem like this where it would get stuck at windows is loading. Only after unplugging my other hard drive did the computer continue to boot up normally. I had to clean the other hard drive in order to make it work properly again.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
My brother used to have similar kind of an issue several years ago. What fixed it was unplugging every single USB device, including mouse and keyboard from the PC and then starting it.
Perhaps you haven't tried that yet?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Waiting for response on resetting BIOS to defaults before adding more ideas....

Is the CD ROM showing up in your BIOS under Secondary (or Slave)?

I'm starting to think you might have more than one issue going on at once.....but I will touch base on that after the resetting of the BIOS

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Only have an external USB on the PC. But I tried unplugging it but it didn't worked either...
Did you make it into an external boot device with Rufus?

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
No because I forgot to add Drive :p. It's a 3TB external hard drive^^.
Héhé, that's kinda overkill. Are you sure your GPU is compatible with your motherboard?

Back