Partitioning Your HDD

MemberRank
    Dec 2014 Join Date
    110Posts

Partitioning Your HDD

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

Hey all,
    I have looked up the answer on google and have been getting a mixed response...

I was wondering what is the Pro's and Con's of doing this? I am reformatting my new laptop and would like to know for speed wise.
    Thanks,
    Kuga
    Follow on Facebook: CLICK HERE

SUBSCRIBE on Youtube: CLICK HERE

Re: Partitioning Your HDD

Quote Originally Posted by KugaTog View Post
    Hey all,
    I have looked up the answer on google and have been getting a mixed response...

I was wondering what is the Pro's and Con's of doing this? I am reformatting my new laptop and would like to know for speed wise.
    Thanks,
    Kuga
    Speed doesn't change however keep in mind that whatever you do on 1 partition will also naturally affect the 2nd partitions performance. That's why it's better to get 2 hard drives or ssd's or whatever.
    Forum Rules / Donate If You Can / Contact Me
    "For if I am not to be their Sheppard, I must be their Wolf"

MemberRank
    Dec 2014 Join Date
    110Posts

It's an MSI laptop that they put 2 partitions in. I reformatted it and just kept the one.
    Just asking for future references. Thanks!
    Follow on Facebook: CLICK HERE

SUBSCRIBE on Youtube: CLICK HERE

ModeratorRank
    Sep 2011 Join Date
    United KingdomLocation
    2,687Posts

This is more of a help thread so I moved it to the Repair Bay for you.

Partitioning has no cons apart from you lose out of select amount of Disk Space for one OS. This is configurable though. As for performance, there is no change.

E.g.
    You have a 1TB HDD. You allocate Windows 50% (500GB) and Linux the other 50% (500GB). If you access your Linux partition you will only be able to use 500GB, same goes for Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by KugaTog View Post
    It's an MSI laptop that they put 2 partitions in. I reformatted it and just kept the one.
    Just asking for future references. Thanks!
    That partition was more than likely their built-in support software and repair functionality. It's basically useless if you know what you're doing with computers. HP do the same, except they try really hard to prevent you from removing it.

Advertisement