Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Do I need a new power supply?

Crawl Me Maybe
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I plug in some external devices, I can hear a loud squealing noise, such as my XBOX one controller which gives off the weirdest sound ever, as well as some others. Is this an issue with my power supply or something completely different?

Here are my PC specs:

Intel Core i5 4570 Processor 3.2-3.6 GHz
Asus B85-M-G USB3 Motherboard
AMD Sapphire 2GB Graphics Card
CIT Shade ATX Case
8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
24x DVD-RW/CD-RW Optical Drive (Black)
1000GB SATA III 7200rpm Hard Disk
500watt EZCool PSU
Onboard High Definition Audio

Thanks

Crawl Me Maybe
Reaction score
Also happens when i'm on high settings on some games. The higher the settings, the louder it gets, and in games like Minecraft when I look down it gets more 'high pitched'

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't do anything that Kojic guy tells you to, I'm not sure he's even read the correct thread.

For starters, what is your actual GPU? A 2GB Ati card doesn't tell us penis.

Now is the whining most certainly coming from your case? Definitely not from your speakers? Basically if you can run games on high settings & your PC does not crash/artifact, it's most probably not your PSU. If it can handle that load, it can do almost anything.

There are 2 plausible explanations that straight away pop into my head & they both involve the GPU :

1. - When you run higher graphics settings your GPU is spinning the fans faster for more cooling since it runs hotter, if the fan bearings are dodgy or badly lubricated it could simply be the fans "squeaking" but of course at 2000RPM it all sounds like a whine. Higher you push the settings, hotter the GPU gets, faster the fans spin, louder that whine gets.

This explains why it whines at high settings. To test if this is the cause, get software for your GPU & manually change the fan speeds. Set it to the lowest then set it to the highest and see if there is a difference. If it's possible, physically open your case - that should help you identify where the noise is coming from.

2. - On the other hand when you are running a less GPU taxing game such as Minecraft & your GPU is able to render it at something ridiculous like 200FPS, you can get whining from the capacitors or voltage regulators of your GPU. It's not exactly a problem but it can be annoying. It's literally just your GPU whining cos it's rendering this game so easily & fast that it's becoming bored. It is too fast & has too much potential which is not being used - just like how a genius kid would get bored in a class full of normal kids.

This would explain why it whines when you look at the floor in Minecraft - ie. When there is nothing much for your GPU to actually render your framerate shoots up and that makes the whine worse. To test if this is the cause, load up any other low-end game and drop all of the settings to the lowest. With low graphics settings & resolution to render, your GPU will barely be doing any work and will probably start whining again from being bored.

Give that a shot & let us know what's up.

Last edited:
Crawl Me Maybe
Reaction score
What is your actual GPU?

Now is the whining most certainly coming from your case?
Not from my case, I can hear these sounds through my headset.

The lower the settings, the less it is whining

I'll give those a go and edit my post, thanks :)

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Reaction score
Only through your headset? Not through computer speakers?

Reaction score
oh, well then that's easy lol. That would simply be your onboard sound card playing up, components are too close together on the mobo & can sometimes interfere. If the mobo is new, RMA it for a replacement, if not just buy a cheap standalone PCI sound card, and that should fix your issue.

Before doing that though, try different combinations of your system & headset volume - try maxing your PC volume & have your headset volume on low & see if that helps. Then try the opposite - have your system volume on low but your headset volume on max & see if there's any difference there.

As above though, does it also happen with any speakers or is it only through your headset? If it is happening on ALL audio outputs then it is the onboard sound playing up, if it's only on your headset then it's obviously just your headset that's broken.

Back