Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Question about cpu

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
ok i know i only got one cpu in my comp but in like device manager it says i got 2 and several other things say i have 2 and before it use to say 1 i dont know how it happend and i dont know if it will hurt anything but does anyone know how to fix it?

Reaction score
If you are running a P4 with HT then it will emulate itself as two CPU's. If you are running either a PD, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, or Athlon 64 x2 which are dual core CPU's then in fact you do have 2 CPUs in your computer but they are located on 1 chip.

NoPeace - out

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
"Dual core, do more..."

You should've told us what CPU it was.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Central Processing Unit.

In respect to anyone who didnt know.. of course :)

and ten seconds later I realize what you meant by that post.. and I sort of doubt that someone not knowing what hyper threading on a P4 shows up as.. would know what type of CPU they are running under the hood, so to speak.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
and I sort of doubt that someone not knowing what hyper threading on a P4 shows up as.. would know what type of CPU they are running under the hood, so to speak.

Having never encountered HyperThreading (but heard of it) I wouldn't know either :) But I tend to know most the ins and outs of pcs ;)

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Normally hyperthreading is handled differently on other processors, the old pentium 4 series just had an odd way of handling it.. it did help on server platforms to a mild degree, but it really never had to be that way.. just an old chip :)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
i dont know but thanks......not to worried about but was curious :)

my cpu's are
intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 cpu 2.80ghz
intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 cpu 2.80ghz thats all i know about it thats all it says

dont know much about hardware :S

i just bought my comp as it is and put it in another case and addes some ram and another hdd other then that its factory

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your processor just has HT. All but one type (only limited numbers also) of 2.8ghz Pentium 4 is HT.

HT is what Sardaukar said. It's Hyper Threading. Which that simply means the CPU can handle more then one thread (in the case of the P4 it's 2) with no performance loss.

So the OS sees the CPU as 2. With each thread representing as a different CPU in the OS. So the OS can assign different programs to run on different threads.

So having it there doesn't hurt your computer at all. Performance of it depends on what you are doing anyways. If you run serveral CPU intensive programs at once like you do on a server or workstation then you'll see performance improvements. So if you like play games while encoding audio/video then it will benefit you. Otherwise if you just do a single thing at once it's best to turn it off as you'll see a slight performance boost in single tasks.

NoPeace - out

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
before my upgrade (when i had a p4 HT)
Photoshop wouldnt run with ht enabled...

Back