Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Server box random shutdowns

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
So I have a Dell Precision Workstation T5400 with Dual Xeon E5440 Quad-Cores running Windows 7. It runs great and gives solid performance. The only thing it's been running lately is a Teamspeak server. Unfortunately, after it's been on for a few days to a week, I can't connect to my TS and find out it's because my server has restarted itself sometime through the night. The problem is so intermittent that it's next to impossible to test anything in a reasonable amount of time.

Now, this wouldn't be too bad if the server just restarted and went straight past POST into the OS. Sadly, it always boots with a memory configuration mismatch error and requires me to press F1 (ultimately there haven't been any issues with memory in the year I've owned it, except that error message).

Does anyone have advice on how I can get this box hosting-ready? Google searches have given me a wide range of possibilities but I can't seem to narrow it down.

I've tried the following:

1. Event Viewer (utterly useless)
2. Removing memory and replacing, 1 card at a time
3. Cleaning fans (in case it's a heat issue)

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Windows updates sometimes restart the server, this could be the problem that causes it.
Try to turn them off and see if it still reboots after a while.

Reaction score
Go into your system Bios and....

Find POST Behavior under this find Keyboard Errors

Disable the feature so you no longer have to press F1 to continue.

Description of the Keyboard Errors setting directly from the user's manual.
When set to Report (enabled) and an error is detected during
POST, the BIOS will display the error message and prompt
you to press <F1> to continue or press <F2> to enter the
system setup program.
When set to Do Not Report (disabled) and an error is
detected during POST, the BIOS will display the error
message and continue booting the system (without having to press any key).

Keep in mind this wont resolve whatever the issue is that causes the F1 and error reporting.
This will only bypass the need to press F1.
Allowing your system to boot normally and hopefully TeamSpeak auto-start based on you're configurations.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thank you, but I forgot to mention I have already turned them off. I also just corrected the memory mismatch error at boot this morning. It was a stick of ram being stubborn and remaining unseated. As far as the random shutdowns I'm going to leave the machine on for the next few days and see if it does it again.

I'm still open to things I could check. I believe I checked the power supply already with a simple pin test and it was functioning Ok. Thank you both for the ideas so far.

Reaction score
Thank you, but I forgot to mention I have already turned them off. I also just corrected the memory mismatch error at boot this morning. It was a stick of ram being stubborn and remaining unseated. As far as the random shutdowns I'm going to leave the machine on for the next few days and see if it does it again.

I'm still open to things I could check. I believe I checked the power supply already with a simple pin test and it was functioning Ok. Thank you both for the ideas so far.

Only other suggestion I have at this time, based on what I've reviewed causing "similar" issues on the Net.

Go into your Bios and disable ALL SATA Ports that are NOT being used and give it a "test run".
Be absolutely sure it is Not being used.

Good luck!

Back