Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[SOLVED]Computer freezes when installing anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So i've had this issue ever since I installed Windows 8 on my brand new SSD where everything including the desktop freezes whenever i install any redistributables (examples: c++ redists, directx, physx, etc) and I havent been able to fix it.

Everything unfreezes when its done or almost done with the redistributables.

I'm lazy and have had enough of trying to fix it myself.
If anyone can help me fix this I would greatly apprieciate it, I will even give you a small sum of money as a thanks (only if the fix does not include a re-install of windows and if its a fix to the problem).

Basically I want someone to go on teamviewer or some other remote control software to do some debugging or something to figure out whats going on and then if possible fix it.

To be clear, this is not an old computer. A few parts may be a year old or so but the ssd (containing the os) and the windows 8 install is only a few months old.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD55 G3 REV B3
Powersupply: Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3,4GHz (watercooled, not overclocked)
Videocard: XFX Radeon HD6970(2GB) (watercooled, not overclocked, temporary card)
Ram: Corsair 16GB (the cheapest i could find at the time)

Everything running on a purchased Windows 8 Pro.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: Computer freezes when installing anything

check drivers are uptodate,
if that doesnt fix it.
sure you have overclocked correctly, reinstall windows. im gessing you overclocked after windows was installed?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

check drivers are uptodate,
if that doesnt fix it.
sure you have overclocked correctly, reinstall windows. im gessing you overclocked after windows was installed?
Seriously, did you not read the entire post before replying? It clearly says that its not overclocked.

And ofcourse I checked the drivers, It's all up to date.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

sda - [SOLVED]Computer freezes when installing anything - RaGEZONE Forums
i had same problem with mine when i installed windows 8, check you HDD for bad sectors, then defrag it.

i posted that last one when i was half asleep, i tend to skip words, like "not".

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Banned
Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 128510
i had same problem with mine when i installed windows 8, check you HDD for bad sectors, then defrag it.

i posted that last one when i was half asleep, i tend to skip words, like "not".
I checked for errors like in the screenshot and it said that it was fine but in the eventviewer i see lots of disc errors.

One of these apperas roughly every 10 seconds:
The IO operation at logical block address 1558c40 for Disk 0 was retried.

The analyse button that you click before you can defrag is grayed out but i did optimise it.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

so it is ya HDD,

bring up Command Prompt and enter chkdsk c: /r . Reply Y when asked if you want this to happen on the next boot. This should take you through 5 stages of the chkdsk scan and will unset that dirty bit. This can take an hour or more depending on the size of your hard drive, be patient and let it complete.

took the above from windows forums.

Reaction score

You can't defrag an SSD, and you should never do it.

Run the Chkdsk but it should not take an hour, it will take a few mins tops a) because your drive isn't that large and b) because it's an SSD. But obviously BDSX has not been paying attention to any details given in this thread at all. As far as he's concerned you've got an overclocked system running off a large HDD which you should be defragging.

If Chkdsk doesn't fix it, try a different SATA port on your mobo for your SSD.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

so it is ya HDD,

bring up Command Prompt and enter chkdsk c: /r . Reply Y when asked if you want this to happen on the next boot. This should take you through 5 stages of the chkdsk scan and will unset that dirty bit. This can take an hour or more depending on the size of your hard drive, be patient and let it complete.

took the above from windows forums.
You can't defrag an SSD, and you should never do it.

Run the Chkdsk but it should not take an hour, it will take a few mins tops a) because your drive isn't that large and b) because it's an SSD. But obviously BDSX has not been paying attention to any details given in this thread at all. As far as he's concerned you've got an overclocked system running off a large HDD which you should be defragging.

If Chkdsk doesn't fix it, try a different SATA port on your mobo for your SSD.

Thank you so much for helping me.
After doing chkdsk with the c: /r arguments it finally worked.
I can now access OptionalFeatures and I can install SQL Server 2008 with no problems.
I have yet to test windows update but will do it soon.

Please both of you send me a PM with your paypal email if you would like me to send you some money as a thanks.

Reaction score

Oh please, that's not necessary. It was a very basic disk check which your PC would probably eventually have prompted you to do anyway. A proper Google search would also have yielded the same result soon enough. But you are welcome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back