Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

WiFi disappears completely - TD-W8960N

Reaction score
Hey, my modem is a TD-W8960N & has done it's job for the most part for two or three years, but within the last two weeks something has happened to it, and WiFi just disappears & appears again randomly and now it can't connect at all. I have my modem connected directly to my main server which works perfectly but a mobile device. tablet, laptop cannot see or connect to the network at all after connecting the first time – even 1m from the where the modem is located.

I've done a hard reset of the modem (I'm also on the latest firmware) and done a quick setup where I should be able to see & connect to the wireless network but it drops out within 30 seconds of connecting and then disappears of the WiFi menu for my devices – manually inputting SSID/security credentials in doesn't work either because it usually gets a network timeout or no network found.

On my modem page under wireless, AFAIK it's configured to broadcast a wireless signal and should be able to connect.

Code:
Enable Wireless – CHECKED
Hide SSID Broadcast – UNCHECKED
--
Authentication: WPA2-Personal (I'm also inputting the right security key)
WPA Encryption: AES
--
Chanel: Auto (also tried previously on 1, 6 and 11)
Mode: 11B/G/N
Bandwidth: 20/40MHz (also tried previously on 20MHz only)

Only thing in my modem logs are...

Code:
Jan 1 00:06:07	user	alert	kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=72.18.204.22 DST=203.219.46.104 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=245 ID=292 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=50716 DPT=1103 WINDOW=512 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
-
Jan 1 00:06:53	user	alert	kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=190.232.56.149 DST=203.219.46.104 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=52 ID=21015 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=4346 DPT=23 WINDOW=5808 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
-
Jan 1 00:07:16	user	notice	igmp[710]: setsockopt IP_MSFILTER
-
Jan 1 00:09:21	user	notice	igmp[710]: setsockopt IP_MSFILTER
-
Jan 1 00:09:34	user	notice	igmp[710]: setsockopt- MRT_DEL_MFC
Those are the only errors I'm geting on the modem.

So basically when modem is turned off and on again, WiFi connects and internet available on wireless devices for about 30 seconds to a minute and then it disappears completely.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my mum's laptop about a year or so ago, was a pain in the arse. My ISP's tech support told me to change the wireless security from WPA-PSK to WEP. Was none to happy about it, but the laptop can now connect. I'd give that a crack

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just gave that a go but couldn't get it to work, tried open security again and had it connected for about 5 minutes but then it went belly up ever since. Might just get a new modem and see how that goes.

probbly something in side the modem thats died/dieing... so yer new modem.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my mum's laptop about a year or so ago, was a pain in the arse. My ISP's tech support told me to change the wireless security from WPA-PSK to WEP. Was none to happy about it, but the laptop can now connect. I'd give that a crack

Older devices have connecting with WPA-PSK so WEP is usually the way to go for those.

Parker - To test if it's the actual WiFi dropping out or just the broadcast, go into the properties for that WiFi connection & set your PC to "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name". If it still drops out then it's simply a modem fault, if it doesn't then it's just the SSID dropping broadcast. I've had a Netcomm modem which drops WiFi every 30-45 minutes, just drops then picks back up within a few seconds regardless of how far away you are. Had the modem replaced by ISP, exact same model exact same issue. Couldn't be bothered after that, just use Ethernet for everything now.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
WEP is ridiculously simple to crack, so note that.
Update us when you've got a new modem, and wether it managed to fix the problem or not.

Reaction score
Ended up borrowing a spare modem from neighbour & WiFi is working as it should from my tests, had it running for about three hours last night.

Older devices have connecting with WPA-PSK so WEP is usually the way to go for those.

Parker - To test if it's the actual WiFi dropping out or just the broadcast, go into the properties for that WiFi connection & set your PC to "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name". If it still drops out then it's simply a modem fault, if it doesn't then it's just the SSID dropping broadcast. I've had a Netcomm modem which drops WiFi every 30-45 minutes, just drops then picks back up within a few seconds regardless of how far away you are. Had the modem replaced by ISP, exact same model exact same issue. Couldn't be bothered after that, just use Ethernet for everything now.
Thanks, didn't think of that. Will try that before going out & getting a new modem. Temporarily renting this new place so can't really do too much in terms of cabling as at this stage we're only in this place a year until we buy a new place and then I'll probably get decent cabling done - and find a house within a KM or so of the exchange lol.

-----

Parker - To test if it's the actual WiFi dropping out or just the broadcast, go into the properties for that WiFi connection & set your PC to "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name". If it still drops out then it's simply a modem fault, if it doesn't then it's just the SSID dropping broadcast.

Just tried this for past half hour, and it's gone completely. Thanks for the tip Rish

Last edited:
Back