Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Windows 10, Black Screen after latest Nvidia Driver

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Hello

Had some issues with my laptop recently, quite the story it is.

Initially Windows 10 had downloaded a driver for my Nvidia GeForce 635M, looked like the laptop didn't like that one, since I was getting a completely black screen after Win logo (not even backlight).

Entered BIOS, got only two options for graphics: UMA and Switchable Graphics. Went with UMA so I could boot into Windows at least.

Downloaded latest Nvidia Driver as well as the GeForce Experience. Switched to Switchable Graphics from BIOS, booted into Safe Mode, started driver setup, chose Clean Install, PC restarted and froze minute or two after I entered my desktop. Booted back to Safe Mode, did a standard install of the Driver. Restarted and again a completely black screen after Win logo (not even backlight).

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with an older PC I am trying to repair...

Edit:
I disabled the BIOS while trying to fix the GFX card error :w00t:.... Had to unplug the CMOS
If you figure this out, please tell me.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Only way out of this so far is switching to the UMA option from the BIOS as no other way works with the Ndivia card.
I've tried removing the driver complete with Guru3D DDU, then installing the latest one and still no effect. Might have to try using an older version, perhaps that would work.
For a moment had an odd error message on screen saying the following:

nvapi.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error."
Obviously this is a DLL from Nvidia's software, however I dont see how this DDL would not be compatible with the OS since the driver I am trying to install was initially downloaded through Nvidia's GeForce Experience and then downloaded it manually.

Searched Google, there was no apparent fix for this error.

Did try SFC through CMD as well and the OS didnt find anything.
Do you have any suggestions?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Only way out of this so far is switching to the UMA option from the BIOS as no other way works with the Ndivia card.
I've tried removing the driver complete with Guru3D DDU, then installing the latest one and still no effect. Might have to try using an older version, perhaps that would work.
For a moment had an odd error message on screen saying the following:

nvapi.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error."
Obviously this is a DLL from Nvidia's software, however I dont see how this DDL would not be compatible with the OS since the driver I am trying to install was initially downloaded through Nvidia's GeForce Experience and then downloaded it manually.

Searched Google, there was no apparent fix for this error.

Did try SFC through CMD as well and the OS didnt find anything.
Do you have any suggestions?

I am still playing around with it, If I come up with anything I will let you know.
Booting into safemode is even a pain in the butt...

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
I am still playing around with it, If I come up with anything I will let you know.
Booting into safemode is even a pain in the butt...
Before Lockscreen (if you can even get there) hold Shift and click on the Power button then, while still holding Shift click on Restart.
Spamming F8 of Shift+F8 didn't work for me at all.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
If it happen due to the drivers while not try to reinstall windows through a flash drive? Or flash bios.

Never mind that was pretty dumb to say. So the pc does not power on at all anymore?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey! Sorry I forgot about this. Remove your CIOS battery, Then put it back in after 30 mins.
When you are done that reinstall everything and install an old graphics driver, like from a year prior and update then.

It worked for me.

ThuGie.NL - Webmaster
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, but what build of windows 10 are you using ?
Just in case rebuild your usb or burn a iso to dvd, using the mediacreationtool so you get the latest version of windows.

Anyway after install windows 10 will auto start downloading updates including graphics drivers.
Just install windows 10 with internet disabled, after that just set driver updates from windows update to disabled, after that enable internet,
And install latest driver see if that solves it, as windows might be downloading the graphics driver while you do it as well. you never know, windows is weird like that.

If i recall some older versions of 10 had issues with nvidia reason i recommend the latest if i recall "creators" update version.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, but what build of windows 10 are you using ?
Just in case rebuild your usb or burn a iso to dvd, using the mediacreationtool so you get the latest version of windows.

Anyway after install windows 10 will auto start downloading updates including graphics drivers.
Just install windows 10 with internet disabled, after that just set driver updates from windows update to disabled, after that enable internet,
And install latest driver see if that solves it, as windows might be downloading the graphics driver while you do it as well. you never know, windows is weird like that.

If i recall some older versions of 10 had issues with nvidia reason i recommend the latest if i recall "creators" update version.
Done all of this. I had tried 4 different version of Win 10, tried installing without internet access. Decided that just Windows 10 is downloading faulty drivers and installed Windows 7 Pro, then installed all drivers that came originally with the laptop, still nothing.

Preparing
Reaction score
Check your harddisk. Do a diagnostics test. Probably the hard drive is messed up.

Back