Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Peace Hotel CMS (BoltCMS v1)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You made remarks saying it was slow, the framework meant I wasn't actually coding and this is a waste and how much faster your website is and how I was a noob.

I would screenshot but Brad was a penis and deleted the posts on it
Your CMS is slow, and you're a noob... what is your point?

Btw @pea-brain CakePHP happens to be one of the slowest PHP frameworks around... slower than Laravel.

EDIT:

Cake 3 is actually faster and less memory intensive than Laravel 5.

But the same so called "developers" who're the first to bring up the speed factor in a CMS are the same people who use these terrible (in my opinion) frameworks that implicitly choose configuration and convention over code.

Try someone else.

ABOUT THE CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM:
Try using an ORM next time?
Mixing HTML and PHP is a BAD idea, try using a template framework
No MVC? HMVC? I know you've implemented this on your latest CMS :)
Use PSR-2
Static Routing?
Benchmarking, profiling 25/7
Telling Chris he's a noob and his CMS is poop
Namespaces?
Don't mix Node and PHP
Documentation (no shenanigans 1-liners like the average PHP developer) only document what necessary and just make the code look beautiful.
Oh, and don't forget to tell Chris he's a noob and his CMS is poop!

I recommend you take a look at Slim, a lightning fast micro-framework for PHP without the shenanigans.

Last edited:
"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Your CMS is slow, and you're a noob... what is your point?

Btw @pea-brain CakePHP happens to be one of the slowest PHP frameworks around... slower than Laravel.

But the same so called "developers" who're the first to bring up the speed factor in a CMS are the same people who use these terrible (in my opinion) frameworks that implicitly choose configuration and convention over code.

Try someone else.

ABOUT THE CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM:
Try using an ORM next time?
Mixing HTML and PHP is a BAD idea, try using a template framework
No MVC? HMVC? I know you've implemented this on your latest CMS :)
Use PSR-2
Static Routing?
Benchmarking, profiling 25/7
Telling Chris he's a noob and his CMS is poop
Namespaces?
Don't mix Node and PHP
Documentation (no shenanigans 1-liners like the average PHP developer) only document what necessary and just make the code look beautiful.
Oh, and don't forget to tell Chris he's a noob and his CMS is poop!

I recommend you take a look at Slim, a lightning fast micro-framework for PHP without the shenanigans.

You pick a framework for projects based on your requirements (these differ project to project), what users expect from the site you're building and from there you plan out what you need and what you don't need. As for "configuration and convention over code" shenanigans, it's "convention over configuration" - and if you don't know what that is, it's a software design paradigm which decreases the need for configuration fiddling without losing flexibility (of the framework).

As for the CakePHP vs Laravel topic. CakePHP 3 vs Laravel 5 - CakePHP handles more requests/sec and uses a lot less Memory. Most frameworks beat out Laravel 5 in terms of request/sec and Memory usage.

Also, don't recommend MICRO Framework(s) for medium/large website applications since you'll be writing a lot of unnecessary code which could be simplified in a full stack framework environment. Micro Frameworks are mostly designed for APIs and smaller projects which handle a lot of requests/sec or projects which HAVE to be written really quickly (project requirements still apply). Micro Frameworks (on average) miss out a lot of important features such Authentication, Database Abstraction and so on.

Off-topic: Node.JS is poop.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You pick a framework for projects based on your requirements (these differ project to project), what users expect from the site you're building and from there you plan out what you need and what you don't need. As for "configuration and convention over code" shenanigans, it's "convention over configuration" - and if you don't know what that is, it's a software design paradigm which decreases the need for configuration fiddling without losing flexibility (of the framework).

As for the CakePHP vs Laravel topic. CakePHP 3 vs Laravel 5 - CakePHP handles more requests/sec and uses a lot less Memory. Most frameworks beat out Laravel 5 in terms of request/sec and Memory usage.

Also, don't recommend MICRO Framework(s) for medium/large website applications since you'll be writing a lot of unnecessary code which could be simplified in a full stack framework environment. Micro Frameworks are mostly designed for APIs and smaller projects which handle a lot of requests/sec or projects which HAVE to be written really quickly (project requirements still apply). Micro Frameworks (on average) miss out a lot of important features such Authentication, Database Abstraction and so on.

Off-topic: Node.JS is poop.
Sorry if you're not familiar with the term "configuration over code". Allow me to help you understand what that means.

And after looking at updated benchmarks of Cake 3 in comparison to Laravel 5, no surprise Cake takes the cake. My own benchmarks must've failed me.

Also, you consider this a medium/large website application when it doesn't even include "content management". We are talking about a Habbo Retro website here though. Disregarding the fact that most micro-frameworks come with session authentication. Authentication doesn't need to be (and isn't) much more than session caching. What are the security benefits in CakePHP? Database abstraction automatically escapes data input? Secure password hashing + salts? etc? He seems to have most of this covered. Full-stack frameworks like Laravel also happen to not be very flexible so what exactly are you planning to accomplish when they're 100 other Habbo CMS's out there utilizing the same framework?

Not saying he shouldn't consider using a full-fledged framework but I consider this overkill, especially in his case scenario where you're not really looking to bulletproof a Habbo Retro like you would a black Friday shopping site.

+ Consider the fact that after most developers learn how to use a framework, once they get comfortable they usually become dependent upon the framework and completely disregard the methods primitive to the language. Knowing that @positivewire is still studying PHP in school using a micro-framework would be a much better approach for him. Knowing how something works instead of knowing how to work something will benefit you in the long run if you ever decide to extend/refactor or contribute to the framework.

What you said about micro-frameworks makes perfect sense, but a flexible framework to use as a foundation to a CMS is a potential learning advantage.

Last edited:
"(still lacks brains)"
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sorry if you're not familiar with the term "configuration over code". Allow me to help you understand what that means.

And after looking at updated benchmarks of Cake 3 in comparison to Laravel 5, no surprise Cake takes the cake. My own benchmarks must've failed me.

Also, you consider this a medium/large website application when it doesn't even include "content management". We are talking about a Habbo Retro website here though. Disregarding the fact that most micro-frameworks come with session authentication. Authentication doesn't need to be (and isn't) much more than session caching. What are the security benefits in CakePHP? Database abstraction automatically escapes data input? Secure password hashing + salts? etc? He seems to have most of this covered. Full-stack frameworks like Laravel also happen to not be very flexible so what exactly are you planning to accomplish when they're 100 other Habbo CMS's out there utilizing the same framework?

Not saying he shouldn't consider using a full-fledged framework but I consider this overkill, especially in his case scenario where you're not really looking to bulletproof a Habbo Retro like you would a black Friday shopping site.

+ Consider the fact that after most developers learn how to use a framework, once they get comfortable they usually become dependent upon the framework and completely disregard the methods primitive to the language. Knowing that @positivewire is still studying PHP in school using a micro-framework would be a much better approach for him. Knowing how something works instead of knowing how to work something will benefit you in the long run if you ever decide to extend/refactor or contribute to the framework.

What you said about micro-frameworks makes perfect sense, but a flexible framework to use as a foundation to a CMS is a potential learning advantage.

Sigh. "configuration over code" doesn't exist. "convention over configuration" does, "convention over code" does.

In terms of learning PHP Frameworks, I believe you should start out with a Full Stack Framework so you understand more rather than use a micro framework then turn around and want to use a full stack and think "what the duck am I doing?". A micro framework is a literally just a watered down full stack framework with more freedom. Full stack frameworks also keep you closer to how they want you to code to prevent silly exploits from happening and maximise performance with that specific framework, on top of that it makes it easier for other developers to view the frameworks documentation and understand what is happening. Too much freedom can be a bad thing, too much control can also be a bad thing.

Even if the system you're developing is a Habbo Retro, you still do not want user data to get leaked / removed through injections (as an example).

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sigh. "configuration over code" doesn't exist. "convention over configuration" does, "convention over code" does.

In terms of learning PHP Frameworks, I believe you should start out with a Full Stack Framework so you understand more rather than use a micro framework then turn around and want to use a full stack and think "what the duck am I doing?". A micro framework is a literally just a watered down full stack framework with more freedom. Full stack frameworks also keep you closer to how they want you to code to prevent silly exploits from happening and maximise performance with that specific framework, on top of that it makes it easier for other developers to view the frameworks documentation and understand what is happening. Too much freedom can be a bad thing, too much control can also be a bad thing.

Even if the system you're developing is a Habbo Retro, you still do not want user data to get leaked / removed through injections (as an example).
Although it lacks Wikipedia documentation. "Configuration over code" and "Convention over code" is a widely used term to reference a software paradigm in which the developer chooses a more noob-friendly approach using more convenient and self-explanatory methods and/or providing you with common back-end features for you to select from, whether it be security related middleware, or routing... It's the exact opposite of DIY. Some people learn by DIY, some people learn by viewing/modifying existing source code, so this wouldn't nullify your point in the slightest.

I mean... the majority of people I know improve by experiencing then fixing these exploits DIY. You may not want to experience something like this if you're in anything but a development environment, so it's really about preference and scenario.

In terms of learning PHP AND how to use frameworks, I think you should start out with something lightweight and simple to build off of.

Last edited:
git bisect -m
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm really trying to figure out, what all these big answers have with this thread.
Make yours discussion about php frameworks, in Code Paradise, please. 0.0

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I get a few errors:

Notice: Undefined index: user in C:\xampp\htdocs\application\application.php on line 139

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\application\application.php on line 139

Notice: Undefined index: user in C:\xampp\htdocs\application\application.php on line 139

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\application\application.php on line 139

Also, when I want to register, the register page gives me a error 403.

Last edited:
Back