Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Webcam Video] HellGate Online Developer Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xca

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
1 hour, 6 minute Developer Commentary.
My project has been kind of hidden in the shadows due to the massive vote hacking of **********, thus rendering me alwasy in the 40s-50s server rank. My focus here is the first American version of the game, so because of this, I've had to completely rewrite the item names, descriptions, and correct many grammerical errors as well as translate much korean into english (GangPowGapFag Shoes > Iron Boots). Much of the sound files have been revamped, foot steps, sword sounds, mage/archer sounds, etc.

I've altered the game down the very minute details, like removing the doggebis from d1r0 and replacing them with masks, then making the doggebis have the same stats as the masks, because why have a more difficult mob give the same exp? Just little details like that.

Been online and in development for almost 3 years without reset (never will), development never ends.
Server is about 80% complete.
Update logs 2013 - 2015:

This has been a very entertaining hobby for me for the past few years, but it is coming to an end as I am beginning to develop a Warcraft server. Their community is more relaxed, they donate x25 more, and millions of community members. I won't stop hellgate development, but it won't have all my attention.

Hope y'all enjoy my video. Open to suggestions, and criticism.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You've got some nice Ideas, and your right in some point's.

I rly like your pimp and crafting system, also the way you want to use/bring back the unused, low lvl gear to Kal Online. I dont know how much " fun " the PvP system is if you rebalanced all the armor's. In my eyes Archer kills the Knight, Knight kills the Mage and the Mage kills the Archer, so you gotta team up to succes.
Im not sure about the PvE part ( 3rd job ), Gen does as much dmg as GoB? And if they do they got the same cooldown from the skills? Also Gen can tank way more monsters due high defense, which would mean Gen is way more easy to lvl then all other classes?

Here are some more " considerations " :

1st issue is that your "new world" looks kinda blad and unactractive ( in my opinion ).

2nd issue will be ppl can use the original maps and get into your high lvl areas.

3rd issue is the donating system, pay for gear is always a fail. Even if it's not the " end-game-gear ".If you can wear G85 Stuff on lvl 1 it's very Overpower'd and not " Ducking perfect balanced " at all. Also ppl will complain about the Exp stone since its nearly a must have these days. It's a good Idea to make the Donation System cheap so everyone can efford something lets say " useful ".

4th issue is about the AFK lvling system, what will be if i got like 20 miner's and trade all the stones to my main char?

5th thing is " every spot is the best spot for lvling ", I dont get it ... so every spot gives the same exp if you kill all monsters? Even no exp difference between blue and purple monsters? There will always be better and bader spot even if you try to make all the same. It's about you'r lvl and gear where you can get the "best exp".

6th issue is ToP room count will be too less if you get a poop load of players. Everyone want to have his own room since they can solo kill nearly all monsters on your " American made server ".

I had to smile couple of times while I've watched the video. I dont get what you mean with American standard, please explain it to me. I dont rly like the USA and what they stand for. Aid of Hitler? Are you serious? :ehh:
Also about vote hacking, as far as I know you got blocked on Int for cheating or own a cheated G59 Stick and DDoS'd some servers, but on ToG you wanna stay fair? :blink:

And the last thing I wanna suggest you is: it looks like your on beta phase. You have to reset the server one day and go on official phase if you want to succes or get few players at least.

greetings from Austria :dancing2:

Reactions: Xca

Xca

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You've got some nice Ideas, and your right in some point's.

I rly like your pimp and crafting system, also the way you want to use/bring back the unused, low lvl gear to Kal Online. I dont know how much " fun " the PvP system is if you rebalanced all the armor's. In my eyes Archer kills the Knight, Knight kills the Mage and the Mage kills the Archer, so you gotta team up to succes.
Im not sure about the PvE part ( 3rd job ), Gen does as much dmg as GoB? And if they do they got the same cooldown from the skills? Also Gen can tank way more monsters due high defense, which would mean Gen is way more easy to lvl then all other classes?

Here are some more " considerations " :

1st issue is that your "new world" looks kinda blad and unactractive ( in my opinion ).

2nd issue will be ppl can use the original maps and get into your high lvl areas.

3rd issue is the donating system, pay for gear is always a fail. Even if it's not the " end-game-gear ".If you can wear G85 Stuff on lvl 1 it's very Overpower'd and not " Ducking perfect balanced " at all. Also ppl will complain about the Exp stone since its nearly a must have these days. It's a good Idea to make the Donation System cheap so everyone can efford something lets say " useful ".

4th issue is about the AFK lvling system, what will be if i got like 20 miner's and trade all the stones to my main char?

5th thing is " every spot is the best spot for lvling ", I dont get it ... so every spot gives the same exp if you kill all monsters? Even no exp difference between blue and purple monsters? There will always be better and bader spot even if you try to make all the same. It's about you'r lvl and gear where you can get the "best exp".

6th issue is ToP room count will be too less if you get a poop load of players. Everyone want to have his own room since they can solo kill nearly all monsters on your " American made server ".

I had to smile couple of times while I've watched the video. I dont get what you mean with American standard, please explain it to me. I dont rly like the USA and what they stand for. Aid of Hitler? Are you serious? :ehh:
Also about vote hacking, as far as I know you got blocked on Int for cheating or own a cheated G59 Stick and DDoS'd some servers, but on ToG you wanna stay fair? :blink:

And the last thing I wanna suggest you is: it looks like your on beta phase. You have to reset the server one day and go on official phase if you want to succes or get few players at least.

greetings from Austria :dancing2:

Thanks for your response, I'll answer all the questions that I can in the order they were asked.

I lowered the mage's def significantly and agility slightly. Archer's agility lowered, but def/hp increased, the knight's base is not the same at all, but a custom progression. Both Mage and Archer's stats are based on the new knight's custom stat progression; using him as the foundation. PVP isn't a "team up", but each class has it's own advantages now which makes the PVP actually work better now as the player no longer souly depends on the old int abused stats and now requires play-style and skill in pvp.

PvE 3rd job has been completely redone. The 3rd job skills of each class are actually based on their 2nd job skill's damage output, making the 3rd job's skills not so alien to the class's previous skills. After level 80+ mobs, all players can no longer solo with the lv70 3rd job, ALSO --- instead of every 5 levels to being able to increase your 3rd job's skill level, it is now every 10 levels (so to go from, say, Lv70 g1 Spin Slash, you need Lv80 to get g2 Spin Slash).

*As I said how every mob in the game has been rewritten, they have all the same HP/EXP progression, for example; say a level 70 mob has 2,800hp, that would mean the level 71 mob would have +0.05% more hp than previous, making the lv71 mob have 2,940hp. Also, EXP is the same as HP, making each attack represent exp (level 70 mob with 2,800hp gives 2,800exp [bosses x2 of HP]).

Now for your "considerations":

1. Yes, I am known in my other game servers that my visual creativity is very limited; my focus is simplicity and compression (not too much). Eventually I'll have a world decorator to add the little decorative things people enjoy seeing.

2. I have made my higher areas cut off by dungeons so that a player cannot abuse the maps to get into where they do not belong. The only way to get into my higher worlds (lv60+) would be to actually be the correct level. Getting levels isn't so hard with this new system, for examble, it has taken a new player 2 days on/off playing to reach level 70 (with exp event on/off).

3. About the g85 gear; armors in this server are g1,g10,g15,g20,g25,g30,g40,g50,g60,g70,g80,g85(donation/event),g90,g100,g110,g120. All armors are normal armors without being retextured (retextured is crap in my eyes). Also, g110/g120 is not complete (g110 is Infernal Destoryer (waiting on inix to release) and g120 ill create something my own).
The grade 85 donation gear costs quite a bit of money, which is why I made is the only expensive stuff in the Item Shop ($17.50 each clean part). ALSO, the g85 is not very different from g80/g90, it is in between, OP in no way besides it being a faster level 1-80 in thanks for supporting the server's $165/m bill. ---------- As the video shows about EXP Stones, they are now HellGate Subscriptions, if you want to be a subscriber, pay in $15 and you can have +30% exp for 30 days. 98% online games are this way.

4. AFK leveling question - yes, players can make multiple accounts and set up as many AFK bots as they so desire, and I have thought about this. The exp earned by EXP items, because of my new system's level-progression and requirment for the EXP items, it cannot be abused. Just by playing for 10 minutes, the about of exp you gain by playing for 10 minutes is MUCH more than having 5-6 AFK EXP accounts active. I created the system as a little morning wake-up to save you about 30 minutes of gameplay time.

5. Every spot is the best spot question - Actually yes, with my new exp, hp, def, resis, and leveling tables, every spot in the game is the "best spot". For years I have HATED areas in the game that were useless/empty, and over the years players have become used to this. The way i wrote every mob in the game - every level, is so that the mob's level is pertfect to your player, depending on your player's level. This prevents players fighting for spots and KSing each other.
---For example: D1's masks are loved and everybody fights for them, but now the Doggebis have the same HP/EXP as the masks, and also die in a few hits.
***The reason why I made monsters in my game have low HP and easily killable, is because people enjoy seeing what they attack die. It gives the brain some stimulating satisfaction, killing another, and another, and another. &&&& only after you get to higher level mobs, they start taking longer to kill as each level mob has +0.05% more hp than the last (level 140 mob having "hp 128105" "exp 128105", etc).

6. Tower of Priest question - There are a total of now 3 floors in ToP (excluding f10 which requires level 90 with the ToP bosses spawning in there every 24h). These three floors have a total of 27 platforms (more than enough for everybody to have fun). Each next platform in ToP (as seen in the video) has +1 level higher mob than the last, making fighting through ToP to the top (pun intended) more enjoyable. ToP's mobs are from 80-90, with the last floor having lv89 classes of each element + master). If you believe that the areas in ToP will be too crowded (thanks!!), then by the time you reach level 80 in ToP, you will already qualify for Emok area, which is mob levels 90-100 (with dragon spawning every 24h lv110 boss).

Question about "american standard" - here in america, we have a lot of stuff "Made in China", but when we own things that were made here, it is 95% most of the time good quality and lasts a long time; not cheap poop. Kind of like the Switzerland making great watches. I say this because my server stands out from the rest because everything that I have done in this server is right down to the science, and making the math formulas for every stats, every part of weapon, gear, armor - everything, has it's own progression calculation.

Question about "ToG vote hacking" - perhaps you misunderstood me, my server has always been in the dark under all the cheating servers which is why it has not been very noticed over the years. I can vot hack, I have the tools, but I refuse to even when my unnamed friends says I should. I am content with being in the 40s-50s server rank or not even seen at all if it means I won't be cheating my way to the top.

Question about "beta phase" - I will not ever reset my database. The MAIN problem with servers is that they never last long, or the owners delete everyone's hard work. I believe it is a crime to delete people's hard work and I will never do this. If I did, it would be horrible for those that have played on my server the the last 2.5 years. Why have people stuck around for so long even when there are not many online? Because of all my hard work and the game being fun without the need to see others playing with you. If there were LOTS online, then .. oh wow, be #1 forever. I just haven't been advertised due to the vote cheating.

=========== Thank you for your questions. Any more, I will gladly answer.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
beautiful cities and areas, old monster stats and names, old item stats/names, reset, better use of your ideas and that's gonna work, otherwise its a waste of your time, you really dont know what Players Online: 3 means? and trust me, I'm not against you, but its not gonna work that way, contact me if you change your mind, so I could code some small addons for you.

Xca

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
come on Akamaru, DoonJukeGapFagGay Shoes? Why is it all korean junk? My buddy KiLLeR opened XianKal on my root and it died within 2 days, had all the latest everything from R3vo's new dlls, it was int-like (like people want it, supposedly). It died because it was not on the TOG ranks. he didnt have enough vote hacks and it failed to another server that had less work put into it. It had the same latest stuff but the votes, the votes killed it. And we all know KiLLeR does wonderful work. If i had the votes and knew how to advertise, it would be great. come on here ill give you KiLLeR's GM and you can see for yourself. i respect your opinions, but don't close my vision before you see it yourself. i honestly thing at some point, somethings gunna tick and it'll be popular.

I know the kal dev game of getting quick money and closing servers (not saying ive ever done it), if i wanted to open one that way, i would, but this is my vision and its been a fun hobby, and its taking a LOT of endurance to fight past the low online count and continue working.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
xca i like how dedicated you are and your ready to edit but if you ask me you didnt edit enough you could take it to extreme... (you quited too soon)

and as you see hades kal is quite active/popular and its far from being unique/different but he did great job making new storyline.(what i can read of website.. didnt check the server itself..)

but ye its spend money to win... or just votehack by yourself sadly is this way cuz the votehackers own server and this is the way they keep money for themself if they lose players..

i and alot of other ragezone members know how many realy unique servers died cuz of lack of few things.. if it wasnt protection it was money or being greedy,unfair. everything it comes to jelly people and of community that has quite few people that just make other fail cuz of being corupted or worthless.

IF yes IF you guys want to sucess in any way.

make server with other popular,known,experienced people and share work. (but be sure you know with who your dealing with.)

cuz of some people that cant be flexible and fight alot alot projects failed. its sad to see bango owners quited team and started on their own.. because they were one of few that server was worth playing (at some point.)

so ye if you realy care about kal you gonna start team up and stop cry how you care about kal but you dont do everything.

i made quite alot unique graphic, and other systems/designs and i dont show it on ragezone cuz at the end of the day i dont need to boost my ego and let other trolls troll and steal ideas.

even i have ideas,some stuff done in my project but its far from finish cuz i dont have much time left anymore and i work alone because not many here are trustable. and to fix that grow up and team up or just quit..

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
"I would recommend my server, but i do not, because theres only 5-8 online and nobody to play with. 2 of the 8 players always PM me "ned mor exp muny GEEF exp ok ot no??" Today, just to test a person, I said, "hey, want to make 22,000 damage?", he replies, "YES Ned mor damage ty ty". I banned him." Quote by Xca from another thread.

Do not wonder why people do not want to play your server, i told you this months ago.
And do not come up with "i want to make an american version of my server", you are just desperately trying to figure out a way to make your server unique, which did not work out until now.
Even your website is stolen from another server, which is super awesome and popular.
All you did until now was spreading around hate in the community. Making fun of other servers because yours isnt popular.

Usually im against all kind of flame posts and fact posts on such forums but i felt i gotta tell you that Mr. American boy. You used to be a big guy on Hanin like a decade ago, but now ur nothing.

Cheers,
DreameR

Xca

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
xca i like how dedicated you are and your ready to edit but if you ask me you didnt edit enough you could take it to extreme... (you quited too soon)

and as you see hades kal is quite active/popular and its far from being unique/different but he did great job making new storyline.(what i can read of website.. didnt check the server itself..)

but ye its spend money to win... or just votehack by yourself sadly is this way cuz the votehackers own server and this is the way they keep money for themself if they lose players..

i and alot of other ragezone members know how many realy unique servers died cuz of lack of few things.. if it wasnt protection it was money or being greedy,unfair. everything it comes to jelly people and of community that has quite few people that just make other fail cuz of being corupted or worthless.

IF yes IF you guys want to sucess in any way.

make server with other popular,known,experienced people and share work. (but be sure you know with who your dealing with.)

cuz of some people that cant be flexible and fight alot alot projects failed. its sad to see bango owners quited team and started on their own.. because they were one of few that server was worth playing (at some point.)

so ye if you realy care about kal you gonna start team up and stop cry how you care about kal but you dont do everything.

i made quite alot unique graphic, and other systems/designs and i dont show it on ragezone cuz at the end of the day i dont need to boost my ego and let other trolls troll and steal ideas.

even i have ideas,some stuff done in my project but its far from finish cuz i dont have much time left anymore and i work alone because not many here are trustable. and to fix that grow up and team up or just quit..

It is very hard for me to comprehend this English, but I've read it twice.

Yes, it is sad to see vote-cheating.
No, I won't ever cheat votes.

About teaming up with other developers, I'm been teamed up with KiLLeR for years, yet partaining to HellGate, its mainly been for technical support, etc. I understand that my game does not have as much *umph* to it, mainly because I do not have the drive for the creativity, rather the technical foundation of the game is my expertise. --- Storyline, etc, it is not my focus for most MMORPG players just want to hack/slash and level up.

Yes, not many people here in the decayed Kal community can be trusted - it is very small and infected with spit and poop, followed by jealouse and trolls/meaningless hatred. But every community turns this way as time goes on, regular healthy people move on and find new and exciting things to do, whilst the scum infectius people stay and wallow in despair.

I can say so here for dreamer girl, for example, ego so big leaves *regards, dreamer* or *cheers, dreamer* WE KNOW the poster is dreamer, he loves saying his name. - Just an example of the werid people that have not left the community. I, on the other hand, have my attention to other games running 6 other game servers. So I've moved on, to an extent, like any healthy person, which is why obviously I don't cheat with votes and not self-obsessed. I have other things going on.

I hope this answers your questions and comments.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
well it's an Korea game, let's change everything to USA - seem like Real Life ..

I dont like all those Changes your "temp" looks like nothing just a bunch of NPC's staying around ... max lvl 255 is kiddy poop also

well Balance depends on who create's it also - to say its perfectly balanced all time is just stupid and crazy

Your crafting System for Armor is just an stupid Idea, what about make a good drop ? you could rewrite better the drop system.

buy armors NPC ? Funny , not.

crafting System just standing around ? wow this Idea is sooooooooo good ! ...

oh great stupid safe Zones and no one see where are you Joking ?

yeah support 3rd job so ppl still dont make use of CJB's ... serious...

it's not because of those Vote Hacker's its just because People dont like your Server thats why you dont got many People on, but nice to waste 3 Years ( idk why you need 3 years for this stuff lol ) .

http://kalserverace.com
Reaction score
I hate to say this... Server Ace was one of the first servers online and guess what... it was a US server based in Hawaii.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
This community cannot be trusted, it's the sad but simple truth of it.

Xca

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
This community cannot be trusted, it's the sad but simple truth of it.

Like any aged game community, the rational, mentally stable, and happy healthy people have left for newer things.

The cesspool of filth, jealousy, hatred, and pessimists stays behind - Seen it before in another game, same here.

Bloodx is there any more random negativity would you like to add? Is this why you asked for my files? Your jealousy feeds me - can I have some more random shenanigans? Jealous miserable people attack healthy successful people's ideas and art to make themselves feel better. Thats okay, hope that cured a little bit of your personal sadness. Come back and say more to me, I'll be your medical doctor. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back