Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Fully working server in Virtual Box

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You could try the following:
01: Try turning off your Antivirus software and firewall / Windows Firewall.
02: Restart your Windows system.
03: After you restart your computer, go to the compatibility settings (right click on the admin.exe file -> properties -> tab: Compatibility) and "Run this program in compatibility mode for" (and select: Windows XP SP3).
04: Turn on the privilege level (Run this program as an administrator).
05: Click Apply
06: Click Ok
07: Try starting the file: admin.exe
(!): If the game starts but crashes while playing the game, than read this:

Hope it helps :thumbup: (for me it did).
I will have a try. thanks

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
This is awesome SunnyZ very easy setup, and now I don't need to start all over again for just some testing.
I've been away from the PT scene for a while now, but I am back now!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi all. Long time I'm not coming into this forum. I was and old hardcore PT player when I was young. Few years ago I managed thanks to this forum (Even with few errors) to play in my computer again PT. It was amazing. 2 days ago I found this post and... well... I wanted to try again PT installation to have little fun. Im reading, watching videos now and downloading all the files from your post Sunnyz. Thanks a lot for this work that you guys do. Its a pleasure for retro-gamers to be able to enjoy once again those games that are part of hour child days. I already installed Virtual Box and I will try to follow up the instructions in the youtube tutorial (not sure if I will need install w2k3 but I will try). I will keep you posted. I hope I can run this only with the tutorial. Thanks so much in advance and sorry for my poor english.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi all again. Well.. I managed to config ip and run the server in the VM. Seems its fine. I copied the Admin files in the original client folder. Now I'm trying to start the client.. once reaching the Ptserver option in the main screen not reaching char option. Im trying to read forum or review steps to find out if I miss any step. AV disabled. Im still fighting to see why I cant connect to account.

Ok. Great.. I can login with the 140 Mech. Its great (Control seems little different than before when I played but getting used to it). I would like to know how to do a Fighter 140 like this mech (It was my char and its like... well.. missing it). Thanks so much for this great work!. Amazing. Im really thankful.

Ok. Pretty Stable!!. Better than the last one I checked. We have here lost temple 2. No tier 5 but... so much things. Still checking, I dont know why cant assign hotkeys to skills but... Last time I say this.. AMAZING What you have done here. Fantastic. Thanks so much for this wonderful job!.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
All great guys, just a tip. Do NOT ever change the folder "char" with other "char" of other client...
The Admin.exe just not executes on char selection screen never more...

RZA-PT | KilroyPT
Reaction score
Hi SunnyZ thanks for this release, i havent dev'd any servers for near on 9 years, (i devd bloodpt and ravernpt and sorta piloted the exp table editing and the gold limit editing)
this was beautiful and easy, loved it, got it running in about 2 hours, a bit of dickin with the sql and the ranks.asp to make the ranks show from level list and it was all operating beautifully!

Also followed your guide and made a client side that works (tested with non admin account using my wan ip address) thanks a lot!

one query, any idea how to make the web server function for PHP? trying to run a php script to show online user count and server status (online offline) but it just shows patches of the script. I can make php work on my server 2008 and 2012 vms but dno on 2003?

Cheers again man!

RZA-PT | KilroyPT
Reaction score
additionally, has anyone worked out the DB for the SOD scores to work? its the one thing that isnt working for me.
i cant get it to populate any of the sql databases for what i can see to make the website read them :/ derp

Reaction score
I swear I wrote up a full tutorial on how to get sod ranking to work... Can not seem to find it though.

Closest I've found is this where I have sod working on this vm server... http://forum.ragezone.com/f286/sod-score-1048336/#post8324447 (Open the spoiler tab to view pics.)

If I cant find the tutorial I might just write it up again.

Plus I'm in the process of making a new VM with windows server 2012, sql 2008 and the drz edit of pristontale source code. Including php and aspx (php is a witch to set up in earlier version of iis. Most people resort to using 3rd party web hosting programs on port 81 for php use. In iis8 however, there's an auto installer for php that does it all for you, makes life so much easier :)

Going to make sure everything is working before releasing though, clans, bc, sod, website account and clan manager.

Should keep people happy for a few more years.

Last edited:
RZA-PT | KilroyPT
Reaction score
I swear I wrote up a full tutorial on how to get sod ranking to work... Can not seem to find it though.

Closest I've found is this where I have sod working on this vm server... http://forum.ragezone.com/f286/sod-score-1048336/#post8324447 (Open the spoiler tab to view pics.)

Plus I'm in the process of making a new VM with windows server 2012, sql 2008 and the drz edit of pristontale source code. Including php and aspx (php is a witch to set up in earlier version of iis. Most people resort to using 3rd party web hosting programs on port 81 for php use. In iis8 however, there's an auto installer for php that does it all for you, makes life so much easier :)

Going to make sure everything is working before releasing though, clans, bc, sod, website account and clan manager.

Nice work.
Im currently setting up one of my windows server 2012 vm's as we speak for the same purpose. if I can help in any way let me know.
Keen to get one fully functioning.

I was having major issues with windows 2k3 iis, couldnt get it to accept PHP and could not for the life of me get it to work for a direct download link for my installer file (Im setting up a server on a vm on my pc for me and friends to play)

still could not work out how to stop it banning admin clients when coming through the gateway.

If i use its local ip address (in my case 192.168.0.12) it all works but it kicks the admins coming through the gateway (i used a vpn on my main windows to go out and come back in)
if i set any of the clan or game server ips to its global ip address (in hotuk.ini) it would instantly kick anyone who joins the server (at the point where the character spawns in town)
very intriguing.

Nice work.
Im currently setting up one of my windows server 2012 vm's as we speak for the same purpose. if I can help in any way let me know.

I was having major issues with windows 2k3 iis, couldnt get it to accept PHP and could not for the life of me get it to work for a direct download link for my installer file (Im setting up a server on a vm on my pc for me and friends to play)

still could not work out how to stop it banning admin clients when coming through the gateway.

If i use its local ip address (in my case 192.168.0.12) it all works but it kicks the admins coming through the gateway (i used a vpn on my main windows to go out and come back in)
if i set any of the clan or game server ips to its global ip address (in hotuk.ini) it would instantly kick anyone who joins the server (at the point where the character spawns in town)
very intriguing.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nice work.

very intriguing.

Nice work.

very intriguing.

might i ask which game repack ur using? if ur using the mpt one sunny included in his VM upload, then ur just missing permissions somewhere (if i recall, that server only has the hotuk settings, nothing more.). Easiest way for me to get it to work was getting it to work exactly as it was shared, without changing anything...then once having it 100% functional, changing things one by one.

RZA-PT | KilroyPT
Reaction score
might i ask which game repack ur using? if ur using the mpt one sunny included in his VM upload, then ur just missing permissions somewhere (if i recall, that server only has the hotuk settings, nothing more.). Easiest way for me to get it to work was getting it to work exactly as it was shared, without changing anything...then once having it 100% functional, changing things one by one.

Yea thats how I did it too, its only when players are coming in through the gateway / nat that it rejects the admin clients,

anyone within the 192.168.0.X /24 mask (what i use) have no issues :/

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Not sure if im understanding right, but if u have your server using your LAN/WAN ip...thats the IP everyone has to use to connect...unless your playing from the host pc, which would use 127.0.0.1 (localhost) regardless of what IP is used in the hotuk.

RZA-PT | KilroyPT
Reaction score
Not sure if im understanding right, but if u have your server using your LAN/WAN ip...thats the IP everyone has to use to connect...unless your playing from the host pc, which would use 127.0.0.1 (localhost) regardless of what IP is used in the hotuk.

my WAN and my LAN ips are different (for obvious reasons) if I set up my hotuk to use its WAN IP then people can all connect (mates connecting in from their houses) however admin clients get banned instantly regardless of them being listed on the hotuk. its odd.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sounds like they arent being given permission, check hotuk make sure ur debugging their id's and idk if caps or not matter but follow all format, caps and lowercase letters.

Unknown Place
Reaction score
Virtual Box is not really that reliable anyways. Hyper-V or ESXi would be way better. But yes, requires a way complex setup of course.

RZA-PT | KilroyPT
Reaction score
Sounds like they arent being given permission, check hotuk make sure ur debugging their id's and idk if caps or not matter but follow all format, caps and lowercase letters.

definitely not the issue here, if i connect locally it doesnt kick the account

Virtual Box is not really that reliable anyways. Hyper-V or ESXi would be way better. But yes, requires a way complex setup of course.
When i get it all how I want it i will shift it onto my windows 10 box and run it through hyper V anyway :)

RZA-PT | KilroyPT
Reaction score
Hey SunnyZ

Its all working beautifully, only issue I am having is no matter what I do, I cant get it to show a skin for Gold bar (gb103), there are images for it in drop item and premium and even, there are .bmp's in 24bit bmp, theres a TGA and a SMD file for it in drop it.

Similarly, to get rid of the pistol and pencil and bat skins for the low level weapons I dropped originals from another game client but it wont show them.

Do you happen to have copies of the original skins and an Idea as to why the gold bar isnt working?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi,

It's been a while since I played with this stuff, but followed the instructions and all went perfectly smooth as I didn't really need to setup up anything just get the VB working.

Only problem I have is that the client is really laggy, tried on different computers with windows 7/10 32 and 64bit but same lag. Has anyone else experienced this? and is there another game client I could use?

by laggy I mean framerate is terrible.

anyone know the gm command to get gold? tried /get_gold but no go .

Thanks for sharing and all your work to make it easier for others.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
RZA-PT | KilroyPT
Reaction score
i thought it was /getgold (no _)
i dont have an issue with mine, not particularly laggy, no more than PT usually is

Back