Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Let's talk about MSSQL vs. SQLSRV/Xampp vs. IIS

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I would like to have an open discussion about this. I have moved from the old school mssql to sqlsrv and have stopped using the unreliable Xampp server as so many are still using. Let's discuss the benefits vs. the drawbacks of both systems.

IIS - Designed to run 24/7 in a working environment and comes with Windows(free). Capable of running PHP for both MSSQL and much more.

Xampp - Great for development of websites. Not designed for 24/7 use. MSSQL protocol hangs in it all the time to cause the site to crash.

SQLSRV - Faster than the old MSSQL protocol that so many are using. Can use prepared statements to avoid sql injection.

MSSQL - Old and outdated. Works well for Tantra Websites and very easy to use. Does not use prepared statements. Some queries will exceed the 60 second rules for Xampp. Forced to use extra scripts to block sql injection.

If you guys have any other thoughts please feel free to let us hear them. Thanks

Reaction score
I would like to have an open discussion about this. I have moved from the old school mssql to sqlsrv and have stopped using the unreliable Xampp server as so many are still using. Let's discuss the benefits vs. the drawbacks of both systems.

IIS - Designed to run 24/7 in a working environment and comes with Windows(free). Capable of running PHP for both MSSQL and much more.

Xampp - Great for development of websites. Not designed for 24/7 use. MSSQL protocol hangs in it all the time to cause the site to crash.

SQLSRV - Faster than the old MSSQL protocol that so many are using. Can use prepared statements to avoid sql injection.

MSSQL - Old and outdated. Works well for Tantra Websites and very easy to use. Does not use prepared statements. Some queries will exceed the 60 second rules for Xampp. Forced to use extra scripts to block sql injection.

If you guys have any other thoughts please feel free to let us hear them. Thanks

I disagree with your notion of IIS being better. Apache is well suited to host any website if PHP version is kept upto date. In the recent XAMPP versions they totally removed old mssql PHP driver itself. If you need sqlsrv support you need to download DLL from Microsoft website and enable it in PHP!

IIS and Apache are 2 different web servers. In my opinion Apache is easier to use and configure than IIS. Here the key is not web server but PHP version.

Upvote 0
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I will semi agree with apache being simple to use vs. IIS however apache servers are subject to easy ddos attacks and even without the ddos attacks there is quite often that apache will hang in some cases require physically restarting the web server unless you have a script to do it automatically. The only issue with that is downloads become interrupted during that process and can cause conflicts with auto patcher systems. As you can see quite often with many websites where a person is hosting an apache web server that you will get the error stating a connection issue with SQL Server. That is a big advantage of IIS however. IIS's integration into windows by default means no searching to make it work. Yes you have to get a php version that will work with it but, Microsoft does offer php versions compatible for the IIS system. Also IIS has it's very own anti-sql injection systems which are by far superb to that of an apache server.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
I will semi agree with apache being simple to use vs. IIS however apache servers are subject to easy ddos attacks and even without the ddos attacks there is quite often that apache will hang in some cases require physically restarting the web server unless you have a script to do it automatically. The only issue with that is downloads become interrupted during that process and can cause conflicts with auto patcher systems. As you can see quite often with many websites where a person is hosting an apache web server that you will get the error stating a connection issue with SQL Server. That is a big advantage of IIS however. IIS's integration into windows by default means no searching to make it work. Yes you have to get a php version that will work with it but, Microsoft does offer php versions compatible for the IIS system. Also IIS has it's very own anti-sql injection systems which are by far superb to that of an apache server.

SQL injection is the bug caused by writing bad code. You wanna avoid it? Use PDO with named parameters to execute queries as it automatically escape special characters to avoid SQL injection.

About DDOS attacks I think even IIS will face the same issue if too many requests come. It depends upon server RAM as it takes lots of memory to process huge amount of request per second.

Upvote 0
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
PDO is better, is more secure, you can read installation guide in my repo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Do you guys know what causes the disconnection of SQL on XAMPP 1.7.3? PHP 5.3

After a while or a few minutes, the SQL connection suddenly drops and when you try to open anything that uses database connection, you get an error saying that it cannot connect to your database.

Restarting Apache solves it though, that's why I'm using IIS at the moment, I don't get this kind of error

Upvote 0
Back