Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Does anyone actually _____ in GMS?

Reaction score
I've got a few questions for you Maplers here at RaGEZONE.

Question 1:

Let's say you're playing GMS legit, and it's v62, because that's the time where there was no "AP reset at job advance" so you had to actually apply AP stats to INT and stuff when leveling as a beginner if you wanted to be a job other than a warrior, AND you are also trying to become a Magician.

Given that situation, would you actually do all of the Maple Island quests to help you level faster and/or get some equips from them to help you out? Or would you just grind your way to level 7 and take the first boat out of Maple Island, not even talking to any of the NPCs? Or... -insert your choice here-?

My answer: I honestly would, I think it speeds up the leveling a lot if I'm going to end up making a Magician/Bowman/Thief. If I was a Warrior, I'd still do it, because even then it still makes it all go by faster.

Question 2:

Let's say you're playing GMS legit, and it's v62, since that's the time where it actually was decently difficult to level up, so level 30 was almost like an achievement. You're a level 40 Hunter, and you don't really have that good of equips right now.

Given that situation, would you ever actually end up using the Equip Maker NPC? If you guys aren't really familiar with an Equip Maker NPC in MapleStory, a good example is Vicious from Henesys, he's a Bowman equip maker ( ).

My answer: I would for some equips, because some are just hard to obtain by monster drops (like some bows, some gloves, and such rare items). I wouldn't do it for all of my equips though, because frankly I think it takes a lot of effort to make equips. As far as I remember, it's like gather 15 screws, 10 wooden planks, 3 Mithril plates, and 25,000 mesos. And that's not really so easy to gather up, considering the fact that ores/plates back then were pretty uncommon / semi-high in price.

Question 3:

Let's say you're playing GMS legit, and it's v55, since that's the time where it actually was decently difficult to level up, so level 30 was almost like an achievement, and there was no Carnival PQ. You're level 31, and you can't KPQ anymore, and the next PQ is LPQ at level 35, so you're trying to level as fast as possible.

Given that situation, what is your perspective on Questing? Like actually going out, finding NPCs that have good Quests for you with good rewards, such as the Sauna Robe quest, and actually doing them all the way through.

My answer: Heck yeah I'd do the quests, even if they aren't good, I'll still do them, because most even involve grinding on monsters for a while (e.g. "The Rememberer" quests). Doing the Sauna Robe quest would actually save me time and money from searching the FM and buying one for myself later on. And not to mention, any EXP for me is good EXP, that's the way I like to think of it.

So RaGEZONE Maplers, what are your thoughts on these questions? I'm really interested in hearing all of your perspectives on these situations.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1. I would do all the quests, of course!
2. No. I have never even used the Equip Maker NPCs, I would hunt for the equips or buy it from the FM.
3. I'd do them, but only if it gives a lot of EXP or something valuable, otherwise I would grind all day.

Reaction score
I'll base these replies off of v3x, which is when I played.
1. Yes, I must do every single quest! I just need to make sure I don't over-level, otherwise I just wasted an entire day trying to level up a beginner.
2. Lolno, I actually went out and bought nx to upgrade my etc inventory just so I could stash as much ore as possible. I wouldn't dream of spending all my precious ore on useless equipment.
3. As I said for #1, I would always do every single quest I could. Screw exp, screw getting good equips. I wasted my time getting stuff purely for looks, because this was back in the day when nx was not the only way to look good.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This would be me...
1. duck this.
2. Rage quit
3. Join private server

Reaction score
1. AP Resets were in v60, but if you mean before that, yeah I do all the quests, INCLUDING the orange mushroom one. I think back in the day I remembered how much experience I needed exactly to leave Maple Island and still be able to get to level 10 or level 8 after completing the basic quests.
2. Never. Back then I was far from rich, and was actually really poor, but with doing a few quests here and there I managed to get some Maple equipment which was good enough for me to be statless.
3. CPQ Was released in v51 or something, and it was the best PQ. However back then, no one invited people unless they were 40+ anyway so I would actually just grind in ant tunnel for a few levels. During those levels it wasn't hard to level either, especially if it was only 5 levels. I'd say 30-35 would be like 80-85 now. It's doable in a few hours even without anything good.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
1. Yes, I always do the beginning quests.
2. Nope, no one ever used that lol.
3. It depends on how fast you can level. I always did the Rombot grind in CPQ (best way to get to 50). It also depends if there are any friends online, if they are, we likely went to do things together.

Reaction score
2. Never. Back then I was far from rich, and was actually really poor, but with doing a few quests here and there I managed to get some Maple equipment which was good enough for me to be statless.
3. CPQ Was released in v51 or something, and it was the best PQ. However back then, no one invited people unless they were 40+ anyway so I would actually just grind in ant tunnel for a few levels. During those levels it wasn't hard to level either, especially if it was only 5 levels. I'd say 30-35 would be like 80-85 now. It's doable in a few hours even without anything good.

So you don't like quests, and prefer grinding? What if the quest is to grind? Would you still not do it?

And also, what if you were a guy trying to get rare equips to sell at the FM and merchant? Would you then create equips from the equip maker? Or would you slap down some money for NX and go to the Gachapon?

3. It depends on how fast you can level. I always did the Rombot grind in CPQ (best way to get to 50). It also depends if there are any friends online, if they are, we likely went to do things together.

I meant to mention a version that didn't have CPQ, my bad. So you also don't like quests?

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So you don't like quests, and prefer grinding? What if the quest is to grind? Would you still not do it?

And also, what if you were a guy trying to get rare equips to sell at the FM and merchant? Would you then create equips from the equip maker? Or would you slap down some money for NX and go to the Gachapon?

I meant to mention a version that didn't have CPQ, my bad. So you also don't like quests?
Not if grinding is faster

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Doesn't matter, the point is to gain levels and quests are a slow way to get levels. That being said, I can guarantee I've done more quests than you (we can compare Dalair on GMS if you want). I actually love doing quests. Quests are never faster though. Even now, there are quests that give millions of exp, but you can gain way better at LHC and SH.

About your other question, I'm just the guy that won't get those rare equips to sell and merchant (no nx). Creating equips isn't good money though, either.

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, the point is to gain levels and quests are a slow way to get levels. That being said, I can guarantee I've done more quests than you (we can compare Dalair on GMS if you want). I actually love doing quests. Quests are never faster though. Even now, there are quests that give millions of exp, but you can gain way better at LHC and SH.

About your other question, I'm just the guy that won't get those rare equips to sell and merchant (no nx). Creating equips isn't good money though, either.

You're looking at it in a Big Bang perspective. Big Bang is way too easy to level on now. Quests there are extremely pointless, so of course grinding takes the win.

I'm talking about pre-BB. Grinding was actually difficult at this time. I'm sure you have done more quests than me, I don't play GMS after BB, and even in pre-BB I was too stupid to realize that Quests even existed since I was just a little kid. In a pre-BB perspective, I honestly think that it matters what quests you're doing that will help speed up the leveling process, like grinding quests that aren't really out of the way of your normal grinding spot, you know what I mean? Surely doing all of the quests will not be faster than grinding. I also enjoy doing quests, they add flavor to the game, and heck, even save me mesos along the way (screw spending 200k on a sauna robe, lol).

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You're looking at it in a Big Bang perspective. Big Bang is way too easy to level on now. Quests there are extremely pointless, so of course grinding takes the win.

I'm talking about pre-BB. Grinding was actually difficult at this time. I'm sure you have done more quests than me, I don't play GMS after BB, and even in pre-BB I was too stupid to realize that Quests even existed since I was just a little kid. In a pre-BB perspective, I honestly think that it matters what quests you're doing that will help speed up the leveling process, like grinding quests that aren't really out of the way of your normal grinding spot, you know what I mean? Surely doing all of the quests will not be faster than grinding. I also enjoy doing quests, they add flavor to the game, and heck, even save me mesos along the way (screw spending 200k on a sauna robe, lol).
Nope, only did these quests after lv 200. Grinded to 120, using Gallopera to get to 120.

Reaction score

Pre-BB I did a bunch of quests as well, even the stupid ones that wouldn't help. To me, quests help make the game more interesting (to code them is too tedious though). For a long time though, I've done quests for the sake of doing quests. On my newer characters I don't do quests unless there is a good reason to (you get a quest item reward that is good). I think that quests are a good idea, but coding them is just not worth it. From the time you can code a few quests, you can definitely make something else way more interesting, including a PQ which is a lot more fun.

Like Kevin, I too have done quests mostly after level 200 on my current character. It's at that time when you don't really have anything else to do except level up traits, quest (dalair fixed count > 1600), and collect monster cards and medals.

Reaction score
Pre-BB I did a bunch of quests as well, even the stupid ones that wouldn't help. To me, quests help make the game more interesting (to code them is too tedious though). For a long time though, I've done quests for the sake of doing quests. On my newer characters I don't do quests unless there is a good reason to (you get a quest item reward that is good). I think that quests are a good idea, but coding them is just not worth it. From the time you can code a few quests, you can definitely make something else way more interesting, including a PQ which is a lot more fun.

Like Kevin, I too have done quests mostly after level 200 on my current character. It's at that time when you don't really have anything else to do except level up traits, quest (dalair fixed count > 1600), and collect monster cards and medals.

I like your style of playing the game.

Coding all of the quests is tedious, yeah, but not too tedious. If you're flying solo in a project, then yes, it would be very tedious, and I would probably focus on other things than quests. Though, if you have a team, and you all are focused on fixing a particular subject in the source, Quests can be finished in a reasonable amount of time. Just saying.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Who the heck would use item maker?

FutureLegend's Owner
Reaction score
I've got a few questions for you Maplers here at RaGEZONE.

Question 1:

Let's say you're playing GMS legit, and it's v62, because that's the time where there was no "AP reset at job advance" so you had to actually apply AP stats to INT and stuff when leveling as a beginner if you wanted to be a job other than a warrior, AND you are also trying to become a Magician.

Given that situation, would you actually do all of the Maple Island quests to help you level faster and/or get some equips from them to help you out? Or would you just grind your way to level 7 and take the first boat out of Maple Island, not even talking to any of the NPCs? Or... -insert your choice here-?

My answer: I honestly would, I think it speeds up the leveling a lot if I'm going to end up making a Magician/Bowman/Thief. If I was a Warrior, I'd still do it, because even then it still makes it all go by faster.

Question 2:

Let's say you're playing GMS legit, and it's v62, since that's the time where it actually was decently difficult to level up, so level 30 was almost like an achievement. You're a level 40 Hunter, and you don't really have that good of equips right now.

Given that situation, would you ever actually end up using the Equip Maker NPC? If you guys aren't really familiar with an Equip Maker NPC in MapleStory, a good example is Vicious from Henesys, he's a Bowman equip maker ( ).

My answer: I would for some equips, because some are just hard to obtain by monster drops (like some bows, some gloves, and such rare items). I wouldn't do it for all of my equips though, because frankly I think it takes a lot of effort to make equips. As far as I remember, it's like gather 15 screws, 10 wooden planks, 3 Mithril plates, and 25,000 mesos. And that's not really so easy to gather up, considering the fact that ores/plates back then were pretty uncommon / semi-high in price.

Question 3:

Let's say you're playing GMS legit, and it's v55, since that's the time where it actually was decently difficult to level up, so level 30 was almost like an achievement, and there was no Carnival PQ. You're level 31, and you can't KPQ anymore, and the next PQ is LPQ at level 35, so you're trying to level as fast as possible.

Given that situation, what is your perspective on Questing? Like actually going out, finding NPCs that have good Quests for you with good rewards, such as the Sauna Robe quest, and actually doing them all the way through.

My answer: Heck yeah I'd do the quests, even if they aren't good, I'll still do them, because most even involve grinding on monsters for a while (e.g. "The Rememberer" quests). Doing the Sauna Robe quest would actually save me time and money from searching the FM and buying one for myself later on. And not to mention, any EXP for me is good EXP, that's the way I like to think of it.

So RaGEZONE Maplers, what are your thoughts on these questions? I'm really interested in hearing all of your perspectives on these situations.

Answer 1:
Yes, I would do the quests on Maple Island to speed things up.
and doing so is also much better than grinding like an idiot and
getting super bored. after all, we all want to skip this and get to
the job advancement.

Answer 2:
I actually would, and I used to.
I used to make items with the Maker skill a lot back in the day,
and from NPCs like you mentioned also. but that was just a very
long time ago, things have changed.

Answer 3:
No, I wouldn't do any quests but quests that give me profit. (any other than EXP)
usually, quests give you low amount of EXP compared to party quests.
back in the day before Big Bang, I leveled up to 50 in a day from Monster Carnival.
then, Monster Carnival 2 came out, and it was easier to level up, as well as doing Balrog Expedition,
which used to give huge amounts of EXP. but quests like the sauna quest, I would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Answer 1:
Yes, I would do the quests on Maple Island to speed things up.
and doing so is also much better than grinding like an idiot and
getting super bored. after all, we all want to skip this and get to
the job advancement.

Answer 2:
I actually would, and I used to.
I used to make items with the Maker skill a lot back in the day,
and from NPCs like you mentioned also. but that was just a very
long time ago, things have changed.

Answer 3:
No, I wouldn't do any quests but quests that give me profit. (any other than EXP)
usually, quests give you low amount of EXP compared to party quests.
back in the day before Big Bang, I leveled up to 50 in a day from Monster Carnival.
then, Monster Carnival 2 came out, and it was easier to level up, as well as doing Balrog Expedition,
which used to give huge amounts of EXP. but quests like the sauna quest, I would.

Off Topic:
oxysoft, you're trash.
/end

Beautiful. Just the reply I was looking for :proud:. Nicely put, and I'm definitely a fan of your playing style for MapleStory.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Answer 1:
I would definitely do the quests, because that is what makes the game worth playing.

Answer 2:
I did use the equip maker a few times when I was extremely poor in the game.

Answer 3:
As I mentioned in my answer to question 1, to me questing is the reason that MapleStory is a great game. Sure, the social aspect is great, but without questing it's just a chat room with thumb-sized avatars. I've never met anyone who actually enjoys grinding.

Back