Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

CentOS VPS

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Uhmm idk where i should have posted this o.o so i posted it here. I bought a vps (thinking it was windows) and it turned out to be a CentOS VPS. I cant even connect to it >.< If someone would be willing to help me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Do you know what linux is? If not, you may want to consider refunding and buying a Windows VPS. However, if you'd like to learn more about Linux, you're in for an exciting ride! Note that Linux servers are generally cheaper and more stable.

The first programs you're going to need is
and
PuTTY is a SSH Client, which allows you to communicate to your VPS from your computer. Hopefully, your VPS host has emailed you your VPS IP address and root password. Go ahead and download PuTTY and enter in the information. Your Host Name will be root@IP.ADDRESS. Note that the port should be 22. Once you're asked for the password, go ahead and paste in the password your host has hopefully generated for you (right click>paste).
Now you should be logged in as root. Root means that you're the super user of the VPS, and you can change any file you want on your system. While this is generally not secure, we'll leave it for now. The next thing you need to do is install Java on your VPS. on how to do so.
Next, you'll need mySQL. Now, I've never worked with CentOS, so this may or may not work!
Execute
Code:
yum install mysql mysql-server

Can't write much more now, so good luck! If you have trouble, know that Google and Linux Forums are your best friend! Setting up a server on Linux definitely isn't easy or simple, but it's worth it in the long run.
(Also note that very few people in the MapleStory section use Linux).
If you need help, shoot me a PM!

Reaction score
Use SSH Secure Shell for windows (and not remote desktop). I prefer it over Putty but I have used both. There's also another one that I've used whose name slips my mind right now. If you don't want to use SSH/command line the whole time, then you can get Gnome and VNC Server. With those you can have the GUI (which is much easier to work with, but I heard it kills some security). When I started out with Linux, I used GUI all the time but I can do most things in command line now. Learning command line stuff is beneficial in the long run.

Reaction score
Use SSH Secure Shell for windows (and not remote desktop). I prefer it over Putty but I have used both. There's also another one that I've used whose name slips my mind right now. If you don't want to use SSH/command line the whole time, then you can get Gnome and VNC Server. With those you can have the GUI (which is much easier to work with, but I heard it kills some security). When I started out with Linux, I used GUI all the time but I can do most things in command line now. Learning command line stuff is beneficial in the long run.

A GUI will not reduce security, not sure where you heard that, but it will reduce performance of your VPS. A lightweight GUI is good (so, not gnome), you can always remove it with a few lines in putty!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Actually you don't need to do much to set it up on Linux.
The hardest part I think would be most probably creating the DB on it.
Since on AWS, you need certain permissions and etc to create triggers and etc.
Other than that, you can just use screen to start it, and you could even log the output to a file.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Other than that, you can just use screen to start it, and you could even log the output to a file.
It's relatively easy to create a DB on Linux, just do it like windows, get MySQL and create the database from the command line.
You can also use phpmyadmin for later on, it's quite useful and very easy to install+setup.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
It's relatively easy to create a DB on Linux, just do it like windows, get MySQL and create the database from the command line.
You can also use phpmyadmin for later on, it's quite useful and very easy to install+setup.

Or you can just created like any other normal person with mysql querry browser f3. Anyways the hardest part for me was installing the right java linux was a pain in the butt

Reaction score
Very few people here can afford to be hosted on AWS. Also, creating a mysql database through command line is incredibly easy, and I'd go so far as saying it's easier than doing so via GUI Tools on Windows.
Or you can just created like any other normal person with mysql querry browser f3. Anyways the hardest part for me was installing the right java linux was a pain in the butt

Can't use Query Browser on a server machine (not without a GUI, anyway).
And I agree about that Java comment. Installing the right JDK version and making the launcher files work was a pain for me.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Very few people here can afford to be hosted on AWS. Also, creating a mysql database through command line is incredibly easy, and I'd go so far as saying it's easier than doing so via GUI Tools on Windows.

And I agree about that Java comment. Installing the right JDK version and making the launcher fies work was a pain for me.
Once you install mysql just allowed the remote connection from your ip to your vps/dedi and use the queery browser from your pc? Easy as 123 :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
And I agree about that Java comment. Installing the right JDK version and making the launcher files work was a pain for me.

Back