Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] Domain squatters

Reaction score
So I finally got control of the OLD LocalMS domain from 2008 (localms.org) after a squatter tried selling it off for over $3,000

PHP:
Darion,

The owner of this domain has responded with a asking price set at $3000 USD, but is willing to entertain a reasonable offer.

To make an offer, reply to this email with the offer you would like me to present to the owner of the domain.

Regards,

Blake | AcquireThisName.com
blake@acquirethisname.com

Just warning anyone out there who wants to keep a hold of their old servers identity so nobody can "revive" it to keep their domain on autorenew until you feel like you've moved on. I'm just going to keep it the way it is for the sake of making sure nobody ever revives the server. Luckily Leo has the other localms domain.

Wondering if any other "old" server has had this problem, IE: AncientMS

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
$3k?! That's... insane. Problem is that people are always going to try and revive popular server names to try and pull in more players >: If the server had a few domain changes when it was up, the easier it is to fool people as well. That and some people simply don't look at the domain but the GTop banner or hear the name and assume the server is back. Then of course you get the servers who claim to be a "reborn" version of a server and then change their story to being a "tribute" server when people call them out on it...

Nice intentions though :3

Reaction score
$3k?! That's... insane. Problem is that people are always going to try and revive popular server names to try and pull in more players >: If the server had a few domain changes when it was up, the easier it is to fool people as well. That and some people simply don't look at the domain but the GTop banner or hear the name and assume the server is back. Then of course you get the servers who claim to be a "reborn" version of a server and then change their story to being a "tribute" server when people call them out on it...

Nice intentions though :3
Yeah its pretty crazy the asking prices those squatters try to get, and you're right, people will always do anything they can to draw in players, but i think its crazy that there's a "AncientMS" and "FinalStory" revival, I wonder what Viral and Mateo would think.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Well they never stated it was a revival, so maybe its just a server name.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think one of the problems that people overlook is that if they reuse a server name that's been contacted by Nexon before, there's the possibility that they're putting the old owners in danger as well as attracting more attention from them. I know when Destiny came back I was shitting bricks that Duncan or Mic were going to get in poop for it even though they weren't involved. Reason being Korn was so fast to close down the attempt to resurrect dMS last year when Mic tried. We hadn't even got the server online and we were C&Ded. It was Korn's "final warning" to Mic... yeah... wasn't happy when it came back advertised as a rebirth. I think the message finally sunk in to re-advertise as a tribute server.

Back