Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Why do you guys think people stopped contributing here?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Is it for profit? Is it to be "special" and have one of the "only" latest version server around?
Back when this community was way alive, people shared and contribute and help one another.

Now, it's all close-doors and meme comments, offering little to no help.

Take a look at the very few latest version servers out there, what's so special about them other than being the latest version?
When there are many servers, all with the same source code, people try to stand out, so they add in their own touch. When there is only 1-3 latest version servers, they are too lazy to add custom content, instead they just offer "donation points" as rewards.

I thought competition brings innovation? What ever happened to that?

EDIT:
I can't speak for myself since I'm a fking noob butt copy+paste skid, just putting that out there

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Honestly, in my personal opinion, it is probably due to hard work and not getting compensation for putting out your work out there. I tried to run a server myself and holy sh*t. There are tons of scripts, tons of bugs and tons of random issues that actually need to be fix. I think what is special about the latest servers is that, when you get your hands on the latest files of Maplestory (let's say), there are lots of stuffs to do and when you actually finish the fixes, why would you want to "share"? It would be, i guess guided by ego and opportunity to stand out, wiser to run the server uniquely by yourself. This is why i think contribution is slowly diminishing. There are some exceptions such as the creator of Swordie who shared a latest version of maplestory, but even then, the server still has bugs. And by all mean, if he fixes all by himself, there is no incentive to "share". I recently thought of: "why not people ALL work together for the latest server?". But that is a selfish and delusional thought because in my heart, i want to leech from the people who made the server. They literally poor the poop out of their soul and then people will just snatch the sources. It's just not possible anymore. I wish it was possible... I truly wish i can still snatch the latest server and just run it with friends...It's selfish as duck...but whatever man. In the end, it is Ducking harsh, but we have only ourselves to rely on.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Honestly, in my personal opinion, it is probably due to hard work and not getting compensation for putting out your work out there. I tried to run a server myself and holy sh*t. There are tons of scripts, tons of bugs and tons of random issues that actually need to be fix. I think what is special about the latest servers is that, when you get your hands on the latest files of Maplestory (let's say), there are lots of stuffs to do and when you actually finish the fixes, why would you want to "share"? It would be, i guess guided by ego and opportunity to stand out, wiser to run the server uniquely by yourself. This is why i think contribution is slowly diminishing. There are some exceptions such as the creator of Swordie who shared a latest version of maplestory, but even then, the server still has bugs. And by all mean, if he fixes all by himself, there is no incentive to "share". I recently thought of: "why not people ALL work together for the latest server?". But that is a selfish and delusional thought because in my heart, i want to leech from the people who made the server. They literally poor the poop out of their soul and then people will just snatch the sources. It's just not possible anymore. I wish it was possible... I truly wish i can still snatch the latest server and just run it with friends...It's selfish as duck...but whatever man. In the end, it is Ducking harsh, but we have only ourselves to rely on.

What's weird is, there are so many open-source projects out there (not related to MapleStory) that are HUGE and those people probably put in YEARS of work.

I guess it makes sense when you think about the mentality of the people that plays MapleStory. Usually they greet you with "cc pls", you will RARELY see anyone willing to share a map with you or be friendly unless it benefits them.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm also a little salty about a lot of people actively ignoring the AGPL license of OdinMS :(

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think a minor reason, that has to do with the overall sluggishness of the private server community, is that private servers have grown to be much less competitive as the official server expands its content rapidly and actually took a few steps to address its outstanding issues. If you have played the official servers in recent years, most private servers out there just feel bland and uninteresting.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I think a minor reason, that has to do with the overall sluggishness of the private server community, is that private servers have grown to be much less competitive as the official server expands its content rapidly and actually took a few steps to address its outstanding issues. If you have played the official servers in recent years, most private servers out there just feel bland and uninteresting.

Yeah, most up-to-date servers, even older version servers do not offer much custom content. The only thing you'll find are free NX, higher rates, and more convenient NPCS. It's still pay-to-win even in a private server with a lot of servers offering donation point shop to get items

Reaction score
I think the community got real slow when localhost.exe was no longer a thing and people had to turn to redirectors. Suddenly the knowledge to create one was just not very common for most average users and people didn't really release things consistently. Obviously if you browse the history there were a lot of contributors over a longer period of time but it seemed like a lot of methods to redirect got patched by nexon and suddenly people didn't want to release their methods. So now without redirectors and such the versioning gap got really big so we saw like v83 -> v92~v95 -> v117 -> 148~v155? -> v176 -> v203?

Now to update to later versions of the game you could imagine the amount of content has increased so almost everything needs to be restructured to make it work and its just simply a lot of work. The people who have the latest version prob don't sniffi everything from main server but instead find the AoBs in a unpacked/dumped/devirtualized clients but again to obtain the LATEST version only a very few know. And even if those people released it nexon would prob just patch it and the whole cycle starts over again. It's just a lot of work really... You could try updating from v83 ->v95 for science and then you'll truly understand how much work it is to do... Also encryption changed in like v196(?) and blah blah blah again not everyone understands this.

In the future I would def love to do open development again. Good examples would be like MoopleDEV and Swordie but I lack a lot of knowledge to make a redirector or get a dumped client.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
2312iu v3}
ñ´+dfñ d+´f

Last edited:
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the devs now contribute their work with each other and help each other out if the server needs help with one thing or another. People still contribute fine, just not in public. With constant v83 servers popping up lasting for 1 month with the full purpose of cash-grabbing donations and overall downgrading the quality of the servers available I can see why some devs just got tired of contributing in public when they gain nothing much out of it

The magic of sharing is in my opinion not gone. it's just no longer public, but with each other.

Interesting...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple, people take stuff released publicly, develop on it but then refuse to contribute any of it back. Even worse, they take stuff and then remove the credits to pretend that it's their original work. Why contribute publicly if the community just degrades and profits off of your work?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm also a little salty about a lot of people actively ignoring the AGPL license of OdinMS :(

To be fair, no one bothers reading what it's about / etc and to begin with all of this isn't exactly legal so there's no way to even enforce the licensing.

As for an open source development project, when you're still young and don't have bills to pay / etc, it's easy and fun to contribute things because you like doing it. But as most people get older, money plays a role because when you start working, time = money, and most people won't want to share what they created / made for free, especially when they spent a lot of time on it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
To be fair, no one bothers reading what it's about / etc and to begin with all of this isn't exactly legal so there's no way to even enforce the licensing.

You should at least try what permissions are granted to you under what conditions when you acquire something. There are also super easy to understand summaries available (like this one )

OdinMS is a fully legal clean room implementation, the license is very much enforceable. There is no reason to believe otherwise.
Of course international license enforcement is pretty difficult.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Newer versions are too much of a pain in the butt, and older versions are bland and won't have users.

Strong catch22 for the Moople community.

Also many of us have moved on with our lives and applied our skills in other fields. Mushroom game money is cute, but no one has time to be butt-fucked with DMCA laws (yes, they still issue those) for $3,000/mo side hustle.

Reaction score
Is this really hard to understand? Just quickly overview the top MapleStory servers on GTop. You'll soon realize how much easy it is to make money off people who still refuse to get over MapleStory. What's really sad is that they don't even have the decency to say it's for their own gains and they cover it with "server costs". Why would you share stuff online if you can make quick, easy money without doing much?

Here's a quick overview of the top three trashy servers on GTop. They're the most popular because they simply lived long enough but they offer nothing but a plain, boring gameplay (I don't blame them, you can only customize the game to a certain extent but still, they don't put poop effort because it's easier to just make more money):

1. MapleRoyals: Pure money-making machine. Their website says "All money received by MapleRoyals is put towards various expenses related to the running of the server", and also "Our current expenses total approximately 1,500 pounds per month", which both are shenanigans. They make much more than 1,500 pounds and I doubt even 5% of that goes into their (relatively laggy) server. Not sure what "RoyalPoints" though, but it sounds like P2W.

What's even funnier is that they only introduced high-resolution client now, and they have different setups for them. Why? Because they literally made the small maps (e.g. Dark Lord's Hideout) bigger on the higher-resolution setups by creating a new map with a new ID, so you literally can't see your friends if they use a different resolution client on some maps. Why? No idea, really dumb. Also, every "patch" is a different setup which is already ~2GB.

2. MapleLegends: Another pure monkey-making machine. Their website says "Donations will be used for server hardware improvements, advertising, and other server-related services", and we all can assume that huge Jacuzzi Kimberly bought is a server-related service. They don't have P2W with the donations so meh.

3. KastiaMS: From a quick look, looks like a huge money-making machine with ultimate P2W packs. It's also pretty dated with current MapleStory so it probably has a lot of players who spend $.

Interesting...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Is this really hard to understand? Just quickly overview the top MapleStory servers on GTop. You'll soon realize how much easy it is to make money off people who still refuse to get over MapleStory. What's really sad is that they don't even have the decency to say it's for their own gains and they cover it with "server costs". Why would you share stuff online if you can make quick, easy money without doing much?

Here's a quick overview of the top three trashy servers on GTop. They're the most popular because they simply lived long enough but they offer nothing but a plain, boring gameplay (I don't blame them, you can only customize the game to a certain extent but still, they don't put poop effort because it's easier to just make more money):

1. MapleRoyals: Pure money-making machine. Their website says "All money received by MapleRoyals is put towards various expenses related to the running of the server", and also "Our current expenses total approximately 1,500 pounds per month", which both are shenanigans. They make much more than 1,500 pounds and I doubt even 5% of that goes into their (relatively laggy) server. Not sure what "RoyalPoints" though, but it sounds like P2W.

What's even funnier is that they only introduced high-resolution client now, and they have different setups for them. Why? Because they literally made the small maps (e.g. Dark Lord's Hideout) bigger on the higher-resolution setups by creating a new map with a new ID, so you literally can't see your friends if they use a different resolution client on some maps. Why? No idea, really dumb. Also, every "patch" is a different setup which is already ~2GB.

2. MapleLegends: Another pure monkey-making machine. Their website says "Donations will be used for server hardware improvements, advertising, and other server-related services", and we all can assume that huge Jacuzzi Kimberly bought is a server-related service. They don't have P2W with the donations so meh.

3. KastiaMS: From a quick look, looks like a huge money-making machine with ultimate P2W packs. It's also pretty dated with current MapleStory so it probably has a lot of players who spend $.

You are 100% correct. Most ironic part is that all these servers got their start from Ragezone, yet none of them feel any obligation whatsoever to contribute anything of value back. They are the ultimate cancer to this community.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well of course all the top servers are out for making money, it's come more to the attention of the maplestory private server community with all the re-hashing of ElliniaMS clones which was and always will be a blatant cash grab...

As you can see, the dumb maple community once again fell for a re-iteration of the same schemes from similar if not the same creators (Kastia)...

Release under a new name for a few months and once the income (donations & such) gets stale & the economy is ruined, rinse & repeat, re-release under a new name after disappearing with no information as to why and leaving their community in the dirt.

With just this being said, you can understand why nothing is being released to public...

How else will these people make their money ?

Veracent came out at a time which is very opportunistic indeed, AriesMS was always a trash up-to-date server but their community had finally had enough, more & more people spoke out about wanting a new up-to-date server which offered good content.

Multiple servers sprung out of nowhere to take this place as quickly as possible, because money.
Veracent got there first.

So again, this all ties back to this thread why ?

Nobody releases anything to public anymore because it contradicts their underlying motives which is to make money, you won't make as much money when you have more competition...

However, one thing I have to agree upon is that sharing & helping is not necessarily dead.
Yes people care more about money over sharing & caring, but in the end we are still human in most cases unless you're hell spawn like some people...

But sharing/helping is just not as public as it used to be.

SwordieMS dev's are obviously a god sent and they are the perfect examples of people who will help other dev's from different servers from what I've personally seen (many times)

Last edited:
Supreme Arcanarch
Reaction score
Everyone says it's all about the money, and sure money plays a big role in the adult life but sharing does not necessarily mean that you get less money for what you have. I believe people stopped sharing because they moved on, and now the entry barrier to start developing has become VERY high. New people just don't know how to get into developing anything related to the game so they don't bother trying. The game is dying too which definitely doesn't help.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Most of the devs now contribute their work with each other and help each other out if the server needs help with one thing or another. People still contribute fine, just not in public. With constant v83 servers popping up lasting for 1 month with the full purpose of cash-grabbing donations and overall downgrading the quality of the servers available I can see why some devs just got tired of contributing in public when they gain nothing much out of it

The magic of sharing is in my opinion not gone. it's just no longer public, but with each other.

When people say "share", they usually mean public sharing.

Back