Idiots guide to legal infringements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    May 2007 Join Date
    UKLocation
    5,751Posts

Re: Idiots guide to legal infringements.

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

Ahh. Well, yes. Certainly it does.

Actually, I could (and did, before I deleted it all) have a little rant about that. But it requires you to actually care why Copyright should be illegal in the first place.

Essentially some nations are pro-Copyright and anti-individual-rights. (ahem, "home of the free"? I think not) Others are pro-individual-rights and therefore anti-copyright. Unfortunately, international trade agreements need to be maintained. If a nation like the U.S. decides it's not going to trade with you any more, that's kind-of a big deal for most countries.

Remember though, that Nexon can take alleged criminals to court in their home country, or in Nexons home country, or in an international court, or a region wide court. (E.U. court, UAE court, League of African Nations court etc.) They can allege that the content producer (server owner, or developer or administrator etc) are criminals, or that the host (server provider, ISP, data-carrier etc) are criminals, or that sponsors (advertisers, detonators, developers, moderators or anyone else who donates time, money, equipment, sites and services etc. including the landlord of the building where the server is sat!) are criminal and they can allege that the consumer (players) are criminal.

They can, and from past experience will, threaten, or take legal action against any and all of those people, in any and all of the above courts.

So... to keep it completely in Malaysian jurisdiction, you need to live in Malaysia, host your services in Malaysia, rent your domain name from a Malaysian company who import no services from outside, (very difficult, as all domain names ultimately come from the U.S.) employ nobody, and accept no voluntary aid / work from outside Malaysia, only have Malaysian players, block everyone outside Malaysia from even viewing your site, and accept no donations (financial or otherwise) from anywhere but Malaysia... including help from people on international websites such as this. (It's a "donated service" )

Effectively, there are people you probably don't care if they get sued or not. But if all your Developers get sued, you will care. If all, or a majority of your players get sued, you will care. If all your GMs / Admins (what-ever you call your problem solving customer support team) get sued, you will care, and if your server or domain name provider (or their landlord) gets sued, you will care. (what's with the landlord shizzle? Well, I've heard of people shrugging off allegations, and their server provider doing the same, then the building owner kicking the host out of the building because they got threatened... it's kinda back-door and random, but it can happen, it's often akin to "harbouring criminals" )

Oh yes... it's also fair to say that you can place allegations against anyone for any reason you like. Evidence will be seen and heard in court, but even if you have no real evidence of your allegation at all, that still means court fees, legal council and potential air-fair all around. This is usually where the "deep pockets" win out. You can't afford not to go, in case they have fabricated some evidence you could easily refute if you attended... but going to court to prove them liars will cost you money. There isn't much in the way of "no win, no fee" in this game.
    Last edited by bobsobol; 09-10-11 at 05:24 PM.

True MemberRank
    Apr 2009 Join Date
    Fatherboard.Location
    724Posts

Ouch, thats just absurd. Come to think of it, people are trying their best to keep their profit although they know it's unreasonable to sue you. They'll try to twist and turn around the law and make you fall in. It's so complex!

Oh and are you a graduate from computer science? Or you're still taking the course? I would like to know if taking computer science is good for me, the benefits of it? Majority/demand in market?
    Posted via Mobile Device

May 2007 Join Date
    UKLocation
    5,751Posts

Okay... that's, err OT. XD Check you PMs, so we don't muddy this. ;)

MemberRank
    May 2013 Join Date
    126Posts

Just to be sure, providing a patcher to patch the original wz files is legal right?

What I mean in other words is, providing a wz with some custom edits to players is illegal since we're editing the "original" code. But if we make a patcher that will update the player's wz files, it is legal uh?

ModeratorRank
    Jun 2008 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    4,121Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KayVan View Post
    Just to be sure, providing a patcher to patch the original wz files is legal right?

What I mean in other words is, providing a wz with some custom edits to players is illegal since we're editing the "original" code. But if we make a patcher that will update the player's wz files, it is legal uh?
    > custom edits to players is illegal since we're editing the "original" code
    > a patcher that will update the player's wz files

I don't really see a big difference between this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mavin0107 View Post
    can anyone tell me how to make pokemon system in lithium work cuz i try to go to a map have pokemon but there are no pokemon in that map
    Quote Originally Posted by MentaL View Post
    ps... if you dont like butterflys then ur a homo.

MemberRank
    May 2013 Join Date
    126Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevintjuh93 View Post
    > custom edits to players is illegal since we're editing the "original" code
    > a patcher that will update the player's wz files

I don't really see a big difference between this.
    1 - We are providing an edited version of the files.
    2 - We are providing an application that allows the player to edit their files.

ModeratorRank
    Jun 2008 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    4,121Posts

1 - We are providing an edited version of the files.
    2 - We are providing an application that allows the player to edit their files.
    In both ways the wz is edited, so it's illegal.
    can anyone tell me how to make pokemon system in lithium work cuz i try to go to a map have pokemon but there are no pokemon in that map

MemberRank
    May 2013 Join Date
    126Posts

"This is why it is perfectly legal to distribute cracks and trainers, provided they do not "contain" any code from the original, but only enable individuals to modify "their own copy"."

Isn't it the same thing as providing a patcher?

ModeratorRank
    Apr 2008 Join Date
    VanaLocation
    693Posts

"This is why it is perfectly legal to distribute cracks and trainers, provided they do not "contain" any code from the original, but only enable individuals to modify "their own copy"."

Isn't it the same thing as providing a patcher?
    Yes, hence if you're going to use wz edits, it should be through a patcher. Just make sure that all of your edits are completely original with your own artwork and stuff.

ModeratorRank
    Jun 2008 Join Date
    The NetherlandsLocation
    4,121Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retep998 View Post
    Yes, hence if you're going to use wz edits, it should be through a patcher. Just make sure that all of your edits are completely original with your own artwork and stuff.
    And still they will completely sue your ass, because it's illegal using their client anyway.

ModeratorRank
    Apr 2008 Join Date
    VanaLocation
    693Posts

And still they will completely sue your ass, because it's illegal using their client anyway.
    *cough cough*

GammaRank
    Nov 2009 Join Date
    2,957Posts

regardless of whether or not it's legal, nexon will just state that the files were "illegally taken from muh unsecured ftp"

True MemberRank
    Oct 2008 Join Date
    clubs ;\Location
    1,322Posts

After working for a lawfirm for a while, this really doesn't tell me much.
    First of all, please distribute the articles in law that ground your assumptions @ how private servers stay legally "clean". Also internet laws vary in different countries.
    Also summarize it for general understandability.

The chances Nexon would actually sue a private server are relatively small because it would cost them more money to sue than how much having the private server shut down would revenue them. If Nexon files a case they would file it on the business oriented side of the private server making money off of their patented imagery.

Lloyd Korn - is he still active?? His attorney job has degraded to threat letters only.

True MemberRank
    Aug 2006 Join Date
    Usa, NYLocation
    1,257Posts

Host your servers in Russia, or another country that uses DMCA letters as free toilet papers. Worst they can do is "seize" your domain, which you can easily change.

The top WoW servers are not only hosted in some fourth world country, but don't even contain the name of the game on their website, only a registration page, and so on.

Happened many times, just buy a new domain for your website. Your client IP should be a DNS (no-ip.org) or something along those lines.

RSBOT -> PowerBot situation. They got sued over just having RS in their domain. All that happened is the domain name got siezed, they bought powerbot.org. Did not even touch servers, since they were in some fourth world country.

TL;DR: Buy servers in Russia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Advertisement