Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

So I'll fill you in. RaGEZONE / Nexon / FT and a court case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
"They were downloaded, therefore not stolen".

That's not how it works buddy, - It works the same way for breaking and entering:

1) the criminal act of entering a residence or other enclosed property through the slightest amount of force (even pushing open a door), without authorization.

I don't even think the files were stolen. They were downloaded, therefore not stolen. If I upload a file and someone grabs it they didn't steal it. They more like got lucky. The grabbing of the binaries was lucky. It wasn't skillful at all and no hacking was done. It was just that Nexon failed to set correct permissions on their FTP. This was in no way RaGEZONE's fault, so the staff here shouldn't be at fault. The only person that Nexon has any reason to sue would be the person posting leaked files (but then it was their fault anyways, also Nexon America has no authority over Brazil so...).

However, I can completely understand why Nexon would want to sue people. We're stealing their game. We're coding a copy of it, and running it for many reasons. The server running is illegal as I have said before yes, but not what goes on here which is just emulation development. Source code is just source code. You can write anything you want and as long as it's done by you I don't see how Nexon can even sue for that. The only thing I'm not sure about is cracking the packet encryption in the source.

Nexon would win some cases in court for sure. They have the powerful and experienced lawyers. However, they aren't stupid enough to sue everyone. There are thousands of people here. A few hundred are viewing this section at the moment. Things such as ThePack had hundreds of thousands of downloads. Nexon has capital to sue some people, but not enough to sue everyone.

Reaction score
"They were downloaded, therefore not stolen".

That's not how it works buddy, - It works the same way for breaking and entering:

It was a public FTP as far as I know. There was no hacking to be done.

edit:
To quote your definition "slightest amount of force," there was no force. No passwords were guessed. There was no brute force. There was no scamming. It was an accident, but the FTP was public (view permissions public). I don't see how that's any different from leaving a large sum of money on a table in a public room that is available to be taken by anyone (download permissions were also public).

better example:
If you download something off my ftp without me telling you it's there I can sue you for that? Everything else is the same. Public ftp, public permissions.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I does surprise me how you have a MapleStory avatar, which makes me thinks that you, as a user, visit the MapleStory section more often than any other section and yet fail to even get any point correctly.

1. There is not leaked files in the MapleStory section, at least, not copyright ones, it's all about others people's works that mostly are meaningless.

2. There are no hacks in here... like... where? Are you sure you posted in the correct forum?

3. Private Servers, there are not private server being posted in here, just server side code or development. That's about it.

If anything, the XML data is an extraction, it's not the very copyrighted .WZ, so it's legal. The only thing that may be illegal are the reversed engineer MapleStory.exe to connect to ours IP's, that's all. However, lately, not even that is put into play, lately most people are using a loopback method, which is not even from NEXON either. So again, it's legal.

Sigh.

1. It's not legal to run side-servers of Maplestory, you must get that through your head, that is the whole shabang here. You're still using their WZ files to run the god damn images of their game. If you (Not saying YOU directly) were to ever even try a court case with them I wouldn't go there, because you'll loose for sure unless you got something hefty to back you up.

2. I've seen hacks here, but eventually get removed.

3. There is a Tutorial/help section(s). I'm sure you've seen " How to make a v55 Private server " or " HaruHaruStory Repack " etc....

You can code your own repack and everything, but thats just the server emulator, you're still using WZ files to run the game which is their images and their idea, which is copy-righted to them.

k.

Last edited:
Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I guess i did not emphasize,

without authorization.

Did LevelUpGames give you explicit permissions, allowing you to download from their FTP server?

No.

And that's all the judge will see, you can't fight it.

"Public ftp, public permissions"
Fortunately, that is not how the law works.

If my car was parked outside, doors unlocked, keys in the ignition - does it allow anyone to hop in and take my car?

It was a public FTP as far as I know. There was no hacking to be done.

edit:
To quote your definition "slightest amount of force," there was no force. No passwords were guessed. There was no brute force. There was no scamming. It was an accident, but the FTP was public (view permissions public). I don't see how that's any different from leaving a large sum of money on a table in a public room that is available to be taken by anyone (download permissions were also public).

better example:
If you download something off my ftp without me telling you it's there I can sue you for that? Everything else is the same. Public ftp, public permissions.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Did LevelUpGames give you explicit permissions, allowing you to download from their FTP server?

No.

If my car was parked outside, doors unlocked, keys in the ignition - does it allow anyone to hop in and take my car?

Firstly, I think they must have linked to it somehow, maybe it was by accident as KillerStefan was not the only person on their FTP. There were many others at the time. KillerStefan was the only person who downloaded the files but I doubt this is the case. It is still strange how many people go into their ftp when they probably opened it for a very short period of time. So yeah, you're probably right about what happened here.

Secondly, this fact does nothing to detract from the point of my post. Nexon America cannot sue for this, as Brazil is out of their Jurisdiction (Korn shut RZ down for this. Korn is the general counsel from NAMS/GMS). Nexon America can sue for other things though, such as the servers we run.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Sigh.

1. It's not legal to run side-servers of Maplestory, you must get that through your head, that is the whole shabang here. You're still using their WZ files to run the god damn images of their game. If you (Not saying YOU directly) were to ever even try a court case with them I wouldn't go there, because you'll loose for sure unless you got something hefty to back you up.

3. There is a Tutorial/help section(s). I'm sure you've seen " How to make a v55 Private server " or " HaruHaruStory Repack " etc....

You can code your own repack and everything, but thats just the server emulator, you're still using WZ files to run the game which is their images and their idea, which is copy-righted to them.

k.

Emulation is legal.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Emulation is legal.

I don't know anything about the Emulators because I've never really used emulators nor attempted to create my own server. So I wouldn't really know if they're legal or not, but the point is their images are still being used.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Emulators because I've never really used emulators nor attempted to create my own server. So I wouldn't really know if they're legal or not, but the point is their images are still being used.

Say that to eAthena.

Plus, you don't have to kill someone to know it's illegal.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Sigh.

k.

Okay, you have problems to read... I was clearly referring to RaGEZONE as a forum holder, not as me making a private server. That drops down all your chitchat arguments.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Okay so.
You should be fine?

You're not actually hosting the files, they just get "leaked" onto your website, but as you do take them down, it should be no problem.

Otherwise, Nexon could sue YouTube for someone putting up a link in which you can download their files, but that's not how it works, is it?
(That's seriously a question. Oh, and I don't think Nexon would ever win against YouTube, but that wasn't the point, it was just an example.)

And also. You, as the owner of the website, actually delete those files, and YOU have never touched the servers or the leaks. I don't actually think they can even take this to court.

If you would've used them, and downloaded them, they would not even have any proof that you'd have touched those files.

I might be blabberin' on here, but I am tired.
So if this makes no sense, excuse me.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hierophobic: That is actually exactly how it works mister.

YouTube got sued several times by different companies for music and whatnot.

Metal

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The law; it makes no sense.

Anyways, good luck to you, owner.
And thanks for the respond Metal.

Loyal Member
Reaction score

Metal

Several times by different companies? could you please give me the source for that lol?
i do think youtube was in a lawsuit against viacom, but youtube won that.

No.

i don't know anything about law(but im sure no one else here does either) but i don't think the judge is just going to pass off judgement for levelup! games mistake

Last edited:
Reaction score

No.

There's actually a huge difference, the difference is one item is tangable and one item isn't. If I put say a file on my webserver but don't give the link out to people, if they find it it's a grey area since that's how the internet works. It's completely different when it's IRL with tangable materials. It's like how netmarble held the GunZ 2 client on their website for like, ages and it was found. It was on a public HTTPd server aviable for download just like any file on my website.

It's a grey area, but you're always gunna land on the safe side. Obviously its' different IRL since tangable items are "important"

Can't kilean the zilean
Loyal Member
Reaction score
since who ever post here is getting sued,

AUSTRALIA F*** YEA!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I can't believe a lawyer was stupid enough to send you that message. They just gave you very solid ground to stand on, if it should go to court.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Metal

.. Lol NO?
They simply require Youtube to remove it and guess who removes it? Youtube.

I'm personally a Korean Pop Music/Japanese lover and if companies such as KBS and MBC wants their videos removed... it gets removed. Simple as is. o_o... They just have to claim their copy right and Youtube removes it.

If they were to take Youtube to court over music, they'd be bankrupt.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, creating private servers in their terms is illegal cause Nexon, like they said, said that it will affect their company (money wise and player wise). I mean, why is it that it's legal for people to make wow servers, and Nexon can't let us have a little fun of our own? It's obvious that they don't want to lose players and money. I mean, think about it: Nexon codes in new things ALL THE TIME with no problem, while private server coders have to go through so many things just so even the littlest bug is fixed (for example).

If Maplestory in ragezone does get shut down, well, theres nothing we can really do but go with it I guess. I do hope though that Maplestory stays on ragezone, or something gets worked out.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, creating private servers in their terms is illegal cause Nexon, like they said, said that it will affect their company (money wise and player wise). I mean, why is it that it's legal for people to make wow servers, and Nexon can't let us have a little fun of our own? It's obvious that they don't want to lose players and money. I mean, think about it: Nexon codes in new things ALL THE TIME with no problem, while private server coders have to go through so many things just so even the littlest bug is fixed (for example).

If Maplestory in ragezone does get shut down, well, theres nothing we can really do but go with it I guess. I do hope though that Maplestory stays on ragezone, or something gets worked out.

How is it legal to own a WoW server? Have you not heard about Scapegaming? Also, the argument of affecting the company money wise is a very gray area because there is no proof that people who went to private servers ever did or would buy NX. Only games such as WoW can claim that and have it be admissible in court because WoW requires payment to play, whereas MapleStory doesn't. Lastly, they code in new things all the time with no problem? Have you even been on the official game in the past year and a half? Every single update they've done (not exaggerating) in the past year and a half has required at least 2 unscheduled/emergency maintenance within the first week, for 5-12 hours at a time to "fix" their bugs, and even then some of the bugs weren't fixed and/or addressed. I have yet to see a legitimate server have those issues. When I say legitimate, I mean ran by members who actually know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back