Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Improving the Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I really think the forums lack information & tutorials for newbies to start getting to know the deal like we do, so I thought - why not start making tutorials? And, not only me - but anyone that can contribute. Maybe even give a subscription for a good one - to promote more and more tutorials. I mean - why not? When the people that do know what they're doing leave, more and more newbies will come - wondering how to, for example, sniff and work with packets, etc, etc.

I've started with my first tutorial - How to make a MapleStory Redirector, I'd love if you could give feedback on it.

How to make a MapleStory Redirector.

Do you have any more ideas & suggestions that will help promote more learners than leechers? Yes, I know there will always be leechers - but I do also know that a lot of people are thriving to learn and lack the information to do so.

Thanks!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
IMO when I started programming a couple of years back, I did webpages first (html, php etc) since I could see results(ie. stuff that work, like submitting a form) easily, and that made me more motivated to learn more.

Perhaps we should recommend people (especially those without any programming knowledge and badly want to do mapledev) to start off with something simple and something that they can see results easily, such as npc scripts, so that they have some motivation, before recommending them to move on to more tedious and tricky stuff such as fixing bugs, updating versions etc?

Reaction score
Oh hey, let's just encourage the community to write tutorials, as if we've never tried that before.
If you think you can somehow magically make the community more helpful with yet another one of these kinds of threads, by all means.
All people need to do is stop caring about leechers leeching their stuff (as if that will ever happen).

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
It's not that it will not work in general. But specifically for this section, I doubt it would work.
Most people here, especially those lurkers / leechers and etc don't bother putting in any effort regardless.
Whenever they hit a wall, all they do is just post a help thread, and someone's bound to help them. Hence why it's a trend / habit for everyone to just create a help thread and wait for someone to solve their problem.

As much as I would like to see this community turn into something good / contribute to it. I hardly doubt it would work with the maturity of the majority of the users in this section.

Moongran
Reaction score
the problem is not that we don't have guides, but the people just want to make a server as quickly as possible, so they don't even bother with reading guides(cause its a boring wall of text).
there are guides for updating and npc's for example, yet people keep making stupid help threads that could be avoided if they read the guides. yes, you can make more and more guides, but you can't make people read them. so I don't think this will change anything.
the people who actually want to learn and progress, will search for guides themselves.
(unless you have ideas for guides that are not yet written)
also the thing is that people, including myself, want to keep their work private and don't share their knowledge. as long as this doesn't change, the forums will remain dead.

Reaction score
the problem is not that we don't have guides, but the people just want to make a server as quickly as possible, so they don't even bother with reading guides(cause its a boring wall of text).
there are guides for updating and npc's for example, yet people keep making stupid help threads that could be avoided if they read the guides. yes, you can make more and more guides, but you can't make people read them. so I don't think this will change anything.
the people who actually want to learn and progress, will search for guides themselves.
(unless you have ideas for guides that are not yet written)
also the thing is that people, including myself, want to keep their work private and don't share their knowledge. as long as this doesn't change, the forums will remain dead.
Agreed. I'm more familiar about the Alternatives Section, so I'll talk about that. From what I've seen, people don't have that "itch" to learn, they just want to see results. And honestly, I don't think tutorials or maturity will create that yearning to know how things work. It's just how some people are (and how some people are not). Guides are useful, and you should make them, but don't make them under the pretense that you're "improving the forums" as a whole. All you're doing is helping the few who wish to learn.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I haven't been here long enough to talk about the community in general but I know some out there are like me willing to learn. I do read guides, and learn from it. I know some people doesn't but it's not a reason to punish the whole community by not writing guides. At least, those who wants to learn will still read and appreciate the contribution, like me. It's not always a matter of "will it work or not", it's a question of "have we tried or not". If you've done what's right to help the community, the result doesn't matter. And if you're worried nobody will read those guides, well I'll be there to read them.

Moongran
Reaction score
live example of what I was talking about:

Sorry for bothering is not there here full written client? i just need the client and everything will be fine... please

i know, but i do not know how to use the visual and etc.... can you give me ready and tell me how to change the ip? thanks

can you blame this guy? no.
he just wants to have fun without wasting too much time and effort on making a redirector, and there's nothing wrong with that.
not everybody is interested in programming.

Reaction score
live example of what I was talking about:

can you blame this guy? no.
he just wants to have fun without wasting too much time and effort on making a redirector, and there's nothing wrong with that.
not everybody is interested in programming.

Although u have good points I have to argue that if ur not here to learn u shouldn't even be on in this part of the forums. If your just looking to have "fun" then go join someone's private server.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Although u have good points I have to argue that if ur not here to learn u shouldn't even be on in this part of the forums. If your just looking to have "fun" then go join someone's private server.

And I'd have to argue you're wrong. There wouldn't be Release sections in every single game development forum if this site was dedicated exclusively to those that want to learn.

@OT: Tried it, didn't work. Try again, get same results. Not that I discourage you from trying... Just keep in your head it's probably going to be a lost cause. The more guides on here though, the better because there's more of a chance to find something, so please do continue making guides.

Nexon's undercover
Reaction score
There are certain things that cannot be thought through "tutorials".
To get along in the maplestory private servers scene all you need to have is a basic knowledge of the language you're using (Java\C#\C++\w/e), and a basic understanding of packets, that you can obtain from here:
http://forum.ragezone.com/f428/updating-server-one-version-another-762816/

After you know those two things its all about trial and error.
There are things that could be helpful, I for example, learned a lot from reviewing a public source's TRAC, I could see what the coder is doing in order to fix bugs or add features, at the time I learned a lot from XiuzSu and his source.
It's also very important that you'll have someone that can help you with things you are not quiet understand, Diamondo and Hendi helped me a LOT at the time I was developing MapleGame, but that's what the help section is for.

My point is that there are enough guides here, and a person that's willing to learn can do so.
Also, what's with the all "leechers" talking going here lately? you are talking about it like its a crime to "leech". Every person that came to ragezone at first just downloaded a source and played with it, some people want to take the next step and some don't, what's the problem with it? And if you do have a problem, don't enter the release section, because that's what it's all about.

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
Oh hey, let's just encourage the community to write tutorials, as if we've never tried that before.
If you think you can somehow magically make the community more helpful with yet another one of these kinds of threads, by all means.
All people need to do is stop caring about leechers leeching their stuff (as if that will ever happen).

With this negativity, especially from a moderator of this section, it's no wonder why this section will never change.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
With this negativity, especially from a moderator of this section, it's no wonder why this section will never change.
no

this whole thread is fucked. writing tutorials won't stop lazy tards from leeching. If someone out there actually wants to learn, they can take initiative to learn and ask meaningful questions that I'm sure people with experience would be happy to answer.

This section is dead and it's never coming back to life. The only things worth doing here are complaining about this poop game (inherently shitposting), and showing off every once in a while.
Anyone who actually cares is better off at maplestorylab.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
no

this whole thread is fucked. writing tutorials won't stop lazy tards from leeching. If someone out there actually wants to learn, they can take initiative to learn and ask meaningful questions that I'm sure people with experience would be happy to answer.

This section is dead and it's never coming back to life. The only things worth doing here are complaining about this poop game (inherently shitposting), and showing off every once in a while.
Anyone who actually cares is better off at maplestorylab.

It's because of the pessimistic people like you that this section won't be coming back.

Reaction score
This is going to be an on going issue, I have been in these forums since 2008 (I had a different account back then). The community has changed a lot since people love to be spoon-fed, I had some ideas which could of helped fix this issue. Sadly the thread was locked.

Reaction score

I agree.

Have you seen all the leechers that registered, just too post 'help' on the damned ZakuraMS source? Example, that Mr****y guy, Fraysa was helping him and the only thing he could say is 'TV?', 'Why don't you just do it FOR me and the problem will be over? :)'. Some are either looking for help to learn. The other 95% just don't care, especially the people who excessively use TeamViewer.

Reaction score
All people need to do is stop caring about leechers leeching their stuff (as if that will ever happen)
I can't think of a better comparison (if not explicit: developers vs. leechers parallels engineers vs. spies):
fLuQtHz - Improving the Forums. - RaGEZONE Forums

Once people stop taking themselves so damn seriously, maybe then we can all work together.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Infraction Baɴɴed
Loyal Member
Reaction score
the main problem with this section is that the resources to create a server are available to anyone, and with that in mind people see a quick buck to be made from "donations that help the server"

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Alas... the eternal circlejerk of MapleStory development. Release > Leachers > Complain about leachers, and then it starts all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back