Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Java Based help section

至死不渝
Reaction score
After having used ragezone for about 2 years or so and browsed the help section for Java Based (Odin) for almost the same amount of time, I realised that the amount of help provided is diminishing. Thus, I shall take some time off and discuss the reasons behind why it has turned out this way as well as hopefully to improve the situation.

When I first joined ragezone 2 years back, I was a complete noob, someone who was literally unable to even set up a server despite the countless guides out there. Like most other people that seek help, I took to the help section literally all of my problems and of course I got all of them resolved thanks to the community that spoon fed me with every single solution ranging for simple javascript errors to adding features onto the server. As such, all I did was leech and had no opportunity to try out anything on my own, thus learning nothing for a good amount of 3-4 months.

About a year later, v83 servers, sources, repacks were literally everywhere. There is a detailed library full of NPC scripts, fixes as well as features compiled together by iAkira. Seeing how all the resources for creating a server was available, I came back hoping to leech some of them and start my own v83 server. As expected, I met some problems on the way and once again sought help from the help section. However, the difference between help provided during this time and previously was that now, people weren't as specific. They merely told you which file it was under along with which specific strings to search for. Personally, I gained a lot of experience from this, because I not only got something which I can work on by myself, I also learnt HOW and WHERE to work on.

Finally, this year, seeing that my holidays are arriving, I once again decided to venture back into MapleStory development just to enjoy the new features v111+ has brought. Going into the help section of the forums once again just because I barely know the basics, I realised that majority of the people here are getting way less helpful, or merely helping you with the bare minimum. Most of the solutions, and by that I mean around 95% of them, to the very best only tells you which java file to look under and it can get as worse as to tell you to leech from another source or google it. I don't like spoon-feeding neither do I like to be spoon-fed, but simply telling you which Java file to look under is simply not enough. It is like people are new to fishing and people on the help section are only telling him where to get the fish when he doesn't even know how to position the rod or prepare the bait. ( Note this is different from the first scenario I brought up since that will be classified under giving him the fish. )

In conclusion, I just want to say that the help section is not helpful enough. Simply telling us which java file to look under is far from enough because many of us who seeks help on the help section do not know what specific text to look out for to be changed (you don't have to tell us what to change it into), nor is telling us to leech from another source helpful since we have no idea which source has the feature working either. Thus, I hope the community will be more helpful to beginners who are new to java and actually provide the file name along with the strings to search for to locate for a certain feature, method, function or whatever you call that.

TL;DR, noobs need more detailed help

Subscriber and Mod!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Everyone has different opinions on the Java Help section and how it should run... 1-2 years ago, the "Mod" team, with the old mods such as Shawn etc. attempted to help/show beginners how to fix their problems with providing min. help by: stopping all services, decreasing amount of help threads but removing them if they are being fixed, and also by providing more tutorials but help less to the solution of "help threads"
It somehow worked for a while, but more "beginners" began tired and restless > so back to the system of: "GIVE ME THE SOLUTION BLAH BLAH BLAH"

I just think solution up right is enough, 80%(this is what I think) just want to set up a server for fun and let their friends to play with hamachi and etc. > just giving them the solution is enough because I doubt "most" of them would come back and ask more since they set up their server...but yes, some would beg for more features and leech.

Yeah I guess helping them to the full would give them the satisfaction I guess, FAQs are there, but no-one seems to check it, so I really can't be bothered by posting a solution but instead, I mostly link them in the FAQs

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have always said that not everyone wants to become a programmer, so there may be no need into not giving a full detailed guide. However, the help section is another subject.

You can surely help someone to fix a simple problem with full detail, he may find another problem on his way to set up the server, and ask again since that worked, it is easier to ask than to think for myself, isn't it? But then, let's says that after the 5 time, it worked, and the person could set up the server properly... He would then notice that the repack he downloaded has some others problems, some incomplete quest or whatsoever... So he will ask for these stuff to have them in his server... you can keep on helping, but as we all may know... a person has a limitless imagination when they wants to request stuff. So, multiply that person x 50, and there you will see why there are so much help threads with vague responses and unanswered.

It's not a duty to reply either way, but most help threads are already answered, and could be avoided to just look into the search engine provided by this very site.

Even tho it's kind of pointless since no one can be taunt the same way... When I first joined into development and even the "hacking" community of this game... I hardly posted any help thread, rather I just searched for answered threads that solved my own problems.

Back when I joined here, in the 2008. The help threads were awesome, it was all about ideas, about if it were possible to create X thing, when people couldn't make something. The rest of the help threads were about "real" problems. But yeah, that's about it, things changes and you have to just accept it.

Reaction score
No one should be spoon fed every answer to set up a server. It takes hard work and dedication to set up a good server, that's how you learn to fix problems on your own. The first person to set up a server wasn't spoon fed, and did it just fine. Being spoon fed just creates more lame, boring servers. The learning process takes time, and everyone should experience the trials and tribulations of setting one up.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
One of the reason why I created the FAQs. Which I haven't updated since forever as I barely visit this site anymore.
But I think that could still solve quite a number of help threads in the help section.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Well, I think the better alternative would be for the person to actually take the time to explore their source, and see what everything does. Remove something, and add it back. Seeing what does what, will allow you to actually see how the game works, and how to fix further problems down the road. If you can take the time to actually update a server from one version to the next, then that will give you a lot of knowledge right there.

You need to know the source like the back of your hand. Only then, will you be able to fully comprehend how to fix most of your problems.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
<3 I'm remembered.

On topic; I've always said, help the nibs learn the basics. If they have the desire and drive, they'll learn the rest themselves.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
<3 I'm remembered.

On topic; I've always said, help the nibs learn the basics. If they have the desire and drive, they'll learn the rest themselves.
I'm pretty sure that we've tutorials here that learns you the basic. You just have to get familiar with it by trying.

offtopic: Lv 141 Lumi, you suck at hacking Shawn ;D

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that we've tutorials here that learns you the basic. You just have to get familiar with it by trying.

offtopic: Lv 141 Lumi, you suck at hacking Shawn ;D

Lmfao I got banned AGAIN.

As for the tutorials, reply to help threads with a link to them and leave it. More effort is needed if people are going to learn.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Lmfao I got banned AGAIN.

As for the tutorials, reply to help threads with a link to them and leave it. More effort is needed if people are going to learn.

OMFG SHAWNS BACK!
OT:Thing is maple is dying maple was cool when I was in 5th grade now im a freshman in college. poop dies thats why the top servers only have like 80 online (exept extalia) so yah.
Deal with it.

Back