Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Which is better to Learn From v83 or v117?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I was wondering is v117 or v83 much more learning friendly xDDD as in like I want to learn the basics of Java coding with Netbeans and how the whole system works. So which one should I start with v83 or v117?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
MoopleDev eh.. or should I take a repack and learn from it?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Are you talking about making your own source? Or do you want to learn java scripts and files?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Definitely v83. That way you can pretty much know the standard java coding convention and not the crap that's in most v117 sources.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have a problem with moople... I don't understand how the commands are coded!!! Like in the usual repacks that I have seen so far they have different files like Player commands one and etc etc but in Moople its like just Commands in a whole single thing o-o!!

Reaction score
I have a problem with moople... I don't understand how the commands are coded!!! Like in the usual repacks that I have seen so far they have different files like Player commands one and etc etc but in Moople its like just Commands in a whole single thing o-o!!

MoopleDEV uses switch cases for the commands, however, other sources uses if statements.

Moongran
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend learning from MapleStory sources at all. go read some books or google for material instead.
the source can just be an example on how to apply what you've learned but it cannot replace actual learning.
if you try to read the source without prior knowledge it will be gibberish to you so better learn the basics first.
(this is why you couldn't understand how Moople commands are coded, because the source doesn't teach anything)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend learning from MapleStory sources at all. go read some books or google for material instead.
the source can just be an example on how to apply what you've learned but it cannot replace actual learning.
if you try to read the source without prior knowledge it will be gibberish to you so better learn the basics first.
(this is why you couldn't understand how Moople commands are coded, because the source doesn't teach anything)

Agreed regarding the part about learning from MapleStory sources.

@Thread starter: If you really insist on learning from MapleStory sources, I'd say grab a v117. v83 has too much done for you. It is almost nearing completion. With v117, there are loads of bugs that you can fix, and loads of things to code, which is overall a much more rewarding experience for you.

Reaction score
I find that , out of all the v83 sources/repacks, MoopleDev is by far the hardest to understand lol. With that being said it's the best source out there for stability & good way to learn.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
With v117, there are loads of bugs that you can fix, and loads of things to code, which is overall a much more rewarding experience for you.

i'm sure 'rewarding experience' is the type of thing you're aiming for when you come to make maple servers

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
are you guys kidding me? Moople? lol. Learn from the v117 sources, or the clean v82 source released of LightPepsi, or look at Zero Fusions source GMS version before LightPepsi revamped it, and compare their codes, theirs a huge stability difference between Moople and the v117. Makes me laugh you guys say that. Yeah its an ok v83 source better/less then shoot, but lets not jump to conclusions, although are some things you can learn from moople, but stick with the v117 branch.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
There is no "better" version to learn from. If you really want to stick with MapleStory sources and not take Saii's advice of just going to google for material or perhaps read a good book to learn, take a look at Valhalla v83 (there is quite a few tweaks in there) and TetraSEA (or CelinoSEA, it is up to you, but TetraSEA was based on Celino, could take a look at differences, etc).

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
are you guys kidding me? Moople? lol. Learn from the v117 sources, or the clean v82 source released of LightPepsi, or look at Zero Fusions source GMS version before LightPepsi revamped it, and compare their codes, theirs a huge stability difference between Moople and the v117. Makes me laugh you guys say that. Yeah its an ok v83 source better/less then shoot, but lets not jump to conclusions, although are some things you can learn from moople, but stick with the v117 branch.

Yeap. Considering how the v117 sources aren't even following java conventional coding. It's so much better to learn from it right?
Yes, it's a working source and etc / have lots of stuff fixed / etc etc. But the way it's written isn't exactly that good.

If you want to learn something, at least learn the right way.

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lai's source is far more stable then moople's (from what I know), But I haven't been keeping up with moople so maybe Im wrong. Lais source lasts longer with crashing.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you're looking to exercise your skills, get a v117 source. It'll have more broken things here and there that are generally easy fixes, and you can work on them from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back