Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MapleStory Private Server on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm aware I'm not the first one to bring this up nor am I the last.

I've recently started getting into the Linux world (recently being last nine months, so not that recently).

I love Linux and think there are many winning concepts in its design.

Obviously Java is meant to be multi-platform which isn't a secret, so why is the default choice for private servers Windows?

What would be the difference of running it on a Linux machine (CentOs for example)? What would it require?

Thank you for your help.

Just to be clear:
I'm not referring to playing the game on a Linux machine, but rather running a game server...

Reaction score
Well, based on my personal experience with Linux vs Windows, I have noticed a VERY noticeable ping and response time between both of them.

I have noticed that on Linux, there are less 'random' slowdowns and a much faster response time.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, based on my personal experience with Linux vs Windows, I have noticed a VERY noticeable ping and response time between both of them.

I have noticed that on Linux, there are less 'random' slowdowns and a much faster response time.
Yea, I know...
Plus, there's the added value of not having to restart almost never... Stability for the long run, and not daily reboots like in windows...

But the question is, how easy would it be to actually implement it?

Reaction score
It's very easy and the source most people use already supports linux. The only reason why people don't use linux is because they are unfamiliar with it, or suck at running bash commands via command line. I can't really think of any disadvantages of linux besides that.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
It doesn't take long to convert the batch files to shell scripts and it's much easier to use ssh (putty, etc) to restart/run the server on linux, odinms rev 988 works fine without any modifications.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It's very easy and the source most people use already supports linux. The only reason why people don't use linux is because they are unfamiliar with it, or suck at running bash commands via command line. I can't really think of any disadvantages of linux besides that.
Thank you for clearing that up.

It doesn't take long to convert the batch files to shell scripts and it's much easier to use ssh (putty, etc) to restart/run the server on linux, odinms rev 988 works fine without any modifications.

I agree.

You said odinms rev 988 works fine without any modifications, would other revs require modifications?

Thanks for the DOS batch file to shell guide, I will read it, but other than that - are there any other modifications I should take into consideration?

Thanks.

Master Summoner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
.sh files are included and tuts are in the java section for how to set it up.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Thank you for clearing that up.

I agree.

You said odinms rev 988 works fine without any modifications, would other revs require modifications?

Thanks for the DOS batch file to shell guide, I will read it, but other than that - are there any other modifications I should take into consideration?

Thanks.

I remember getting some errors with my modified source because some of the things I had made were written badly and I had to rewrite them, you might face similar things and some errors with filenames since in *nix they seem to be case sensitive.

Not sure how many of the current repacks/whatever work without modifications.
Haven't really used any of them.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I remember getting some errors with my modified source because some of the things I had made were written badly and I had to rewrite them, you might face similar things and some errors with filenames since in *nix they seem to be case sensitive.

Not sure how many of the current repacks/whatever work without modifications.
Haven't really used any of them.
Okay, and what about the JCE files, I never really understood why those were required, but would they also be in Linux?

Reaction score
I did remember running Shootsource-based repacks on Linux with no runtime issues at all. It's a bit hard to implement it on Linux if you have never done it before, but after that, it's a breeze.

Reaction score
Back when I ran MapleGenesis in 08', Sparks help me setup on a Linux dedi, it was great, ran a ton smoother than when it was on windows. It made a noticeable difference.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Okay, and what about the JCE files, I never really understood why those were required, but would they also be in Linux?

They're used for AES Cryptography, which is what MapleStory encrypts their packets with. The default java installer for windows never had it, and neither does the linux one.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Okay, thanks everyone, this is really helping!

Can someone explain what does "-Djava..." mean in the .sh script?
It's telling me it doesn't know any such command!

Thanks.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Okay, thanks everyone, this is really helping!

Can someone explain what does "-Djava..." mean in the .sh script?
It's telling me it doesn't know any such command!

Thanks.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
export CLASSPATH=".:dist/*.jar"
java -Xmx256m -Drecvops=recvops.properties \
-Dsendops=sendops.properties \
-Dwzpath=wz \
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=maple.keystore \
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=passwd \
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=maple.keystore \
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=passwd \
net.WorldServer

You will have to edit that but that's how mine is.

You should of course set the java classpath in .bashrc
JAVA_HOME=/root/jdk1.6.0_xx
PATH=$PATH:/root/jdk1.6.0_xx/bin

change the /root/jdk1.6.0_xx/ to the path where your java is located at

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export CLASSPATH=".:dist/*.jar"
java -Xmx256m -Drecvops=recvops.properties \
-Dsendops=sendops.properties \
-Dwzpath=wz \
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=maple.keystore \
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=passwd \
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=maple.keystore \
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=passwd \
net.WorldServer

You will have to edit that but that's how mine is.

You should of course set the java classpath in .bashrc
JAVA_HOME=/root/jdk1.6.0_xx
PATH=$PATH:/root/jdk1.6.0_xx/bin

change the /root/jdk1.6.0_xx/ to the path where your java is located at
Okay, thanks,
And what should I put instead of passwd? DB password?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Okay, thanks,
And what should I put instead of passwd? DB password?

No, just include these files in the folder.
[attachment in the rar]

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I decided to try arberms2 tutorial as seen as a starting point and from there to know enough to use it on any source.

But when I run launch_world.sh I get:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net.sf.odinms.net.world.WorldServer
at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.10)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sf.odinms.net.world.WorldServer not found in gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:./,file:dist/arberms.jar,file:dist/mina-core.jar,file:dist/slf4j-api.jar,file:dist/slf4j-jdk14.jar,file:dist/mysql-connector-java-bin.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.10)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.10)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.10)
at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.10)

I have a feeling like it has something to do with compiling a jar or something which I didn't do, but I don't know how it can be fixed.

All help with how to solve this will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back