Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Meta] The organization of the forum

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi I'm a noob,

This forum is a wealth of information on maplestory but it's rather intimidating to a nooby like me who has next to no experience with this stuff. Looking at all the threads in this forum is rather overwhelming.

I understand that most of the people on this forum probably played and developed for maplestory since it came out and that's great. You had the opportunity to watch the new developments happen. But i don't have that luxury or experience; I would like to start developing for maplestory and creating new and wonderful things. The issue that is holding me back is really a lack of direction; there are so many great guides and threads on random topics that it's hard to get a real sense of were to actually begin. Most of the thread assume some sort of prior knowledge

So I guess what I'm really asking is if there's some sort of guide-of-guides or a table of contents for the whole forum so a noob like me can get started :laugh:

Reactions: NTV
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
There's a lot of information, but most of it is familiarity with the source you're working with. The amount of knowledge you need to do well here is very little. Gaining familiarity is just practice. Some packet guides have been written for IDA, updating which require some searching. Those are the ones worth looking at for this section though. There's a basic NPC guide and Java guide also stickied in tutorials.

You only need to know these to add your own custom features which would make you "pro" in this section in 2008-2009:
- Basic data structures (lists, arrays, maps, sets)
- Basic java syntax/techniques/control flow (from your first year university first class)
- Very basic mysql (select, insert, update, delete)
- How to compile, run source code
- How to read some of the previous code that's written

Basically you can easily do this after taking a basic data structures class in school. If you want to do a superb job, then you need to know packets. Some of this takes some creativity/knowledge of the game. It always takes some logic. This would make you pro in this section from 2008-present
- Basic GMS structure
- Basic ideas of how networking works between a client and a server
- How to update server versions with IDA
- How to sniff packets from GMS
- How to update packets from sniff log

If you want to go further then:
- Know how networking works in general (networking libraries, threading, writing thread-safe code)
- Knowing best practices in coding
- Design better solutions and implement them (broad topic for a reason)

Maybe find a full time job at this point.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
There's a lot of information, but most of it is familiarity with the source you're working with. The amount of knowledge you need to do well here is very little. Gaining familiarity is just practice. Some packet guides have been written for IDA, updating which require some searching. Those are the ones worth looking at for this section though. There's a basic NPC guide and Java guide also stickied in tutorials.

You only need to know these to add your own custom features which would make you "pro" in this section in 2008-2009:
- Basic data structures (lists, arrays, maps, sets)
- Basic java syntax/techniques/control flow (from your first year university first class)
- Very basic mysql (select, insert, update, delete)
- How to compile, run source code
- How to read some of the previous code that's written

Basically you can easily do this after taking a basic data structures class in school. If you want to do a superb job, then you need to know packets. Some of this takes some creativity/knowledge of the game. It always takes some logic. This would make you pro in this section from 2008-present
- Basic GMS structure
- Basic ideas of how networking works between a client and a server
- How to update server versions with IDA
- How to sniff packets from GMS
- How to update packets from sniff log

If you want to go further then:
- Know how networking works in general (networking libraries, threading, writing thread-safe code)
- Knowing best practices in coding
- Design better solutions and implement them (broad topic for a reason)

Maybe find a full time job at this point.

honestly i'm just trying to make a CLB. This point i'm just having issues with connecting to the server and I came to this forum to learn more, but I don't really know where to look.

Reaction score
honestly i'm just trying to make a CLB. This point i'm just having issues with connecting to the server and I came to this forum to learn more, but I don't really know where to look.

Writing a CLB is the absolute opposite of what we do here honestly. You're writing a client-end, while the only things you'll find here is writing a server-end and how to manage/update it. A CLB is just a reverse of the emulator's available here and is fairly simple to do minus Nexon's stupid auth crap. Just use some pieces available from Odin (MINA library, MapleServerHandler, your tools->data->input and output for packet reader/writer, etc) and do the reverse of what you do on a server-end (e.g instead of reading in the OnCheckPassword data, send it).

What use is a CLB for making a server anyways? Sniff packets or something?

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Writing a CLB is the absolute opposite of what we do here honestly. You're writing a client-end, while the only things you'll find here is writing a server-end and how to manage/update it. A CLB is just a reverse of the emulator's available here and is fairly simple to do minus Nexon's stupid auth crap. Just use some pieces available from Odin (MINA library, MapleServerHandler, your tools->data->input and output for packet reader/writer, etc) and do the reverse of what you do on a server-end (e.g instead of reading in the OnCheckPassword data, send it).

What use is a CLB for making a server anyways? Sniff packets or something?
CLB's can be used for a lot of things, but mainly it's best purpose is to exploit.
noobynoob
We are not a hacking forum. Those things are NOT allowed here.
Only thing you can find here are the data structures you can use inside your CLB. Hardest part is simulating the heart-beat though.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

Did you get referred here by gamersoul or something? I saw a thread there saying people on ragezone are more knowledgeable about packets.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
CLB's can be used for a lot of things, but mainly it's best purpose is to exploit.
@noobynoob
We are not a hacking forum. Those things are NOT allowed here.
Only thing you can find here are the data structures you can use inside your CLB. Hardest part is simulating the heart-beat though.

I thought in the newer versions HB didn't matter?

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
I thought in the newer versions HB didn't matter?
Might be possible they fucked up the server-sided checks when they switched to Blackcipher.. Nexon pls

Anyway there are a lot of anti-cheat things that can duck you up if you use a CLB. You need a lot of logic in there. Check the tutorial sections for IDA. IDA can help you.

not a programmer
Reaction score
Back