Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

was Odin a great Mistake to Everyone ?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
well everyone would love to state their points when a topic is release.. so why not state it here

Discuss
  • was Odin Badly Coded in terms of lack of knowledge ?
  • would Odin been better in other Programming Language ? such as C++,C#,Delphi

keeping it simple but you can state your own points ;) no off-topic please.

let me state my point of view

atleast to me odin wasnt really badly coded until it was closed and the source was manhandle :blush: I have seens certain sources out there with some disgusting fixes, I mean everyone have thier own style of coding.. and I do believe odin was actually planned to take a twist in many terms but they had to close..

secondly I honestly think that any programming would be good as long as the developer/user have the interest to learn.

would like to here everyone point of view be it developers or vets who have develop odin in the past

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Will you please stop making these useless threads? No, Odin was not badly coded; in fact, it is better than what 99% of the community can do. If you compared it to something in the professional world, yeah, it would suck, but it's what we've got right now. But the thing is, we're not in the professional world. Creating a new source is a pain, and with all the big names either inactive/gone, nobody else can do anything about it.

Before diamondo/peter/rice come in and say that C++/C# are god languages and java sucks penis, the OdinMS developers probably knew what they were doing (i.e. they weren't dumbasses). C++/C# definitely have their advantages, and if someone wrote a complete source in C, it would probably run more efficiently.

By the way, this section would never exist without OdinMS (rather, grown to the size it is today, and full of leechers).

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
xArmani said:
Will you please stop making these useless threads

sorry nope it is not useless and It is actually get point of people view about the source..

<3
Reaction score
First of all, I am a veteran from the very beginning when TitanMS first started.

Before beginning, I would like to say:
Could you stop making such threads over and over again? It is getting rather annoying and I can see why xArmani would consider this thread as useless. Also, could you stop replying to your own threads on a separate account? It is ALSO getting rather annoying and shows that you are being an attention lady and it shows your maturity.

All you are doing is complaining and bitching about what's wrong about the community, and it really isn't helping. If you really want to induce change around here, take action! It will be tough considering how things work around here nowadays. Many of the community members around here have adjusted their idea of learning to leeching or making a quick buck here and there. But, I am certain that there are still at least a handful that are willing to learn, and are not interested in the monetary gain from private servers. And with those handful of people, you may be able to recreate the past success of development, but it will be on a far smaller scale.

Now then to address your discussion question:

Was OdinMS poorly coded in term of lack of knowledge?
There is no correct answer to this, but I personally think this could be answered both ways considering how your question is worded. It is worded in a very vague way, and it is pretty open-ended. Knowledge in terms of what? MapleStory? Programming? OdinMS was never perfect, but the guys down there definitely had huge motivation. I mean, think about it. They wrote an entire server emulator from scratch. There is no exact date as to when they started, but the first news of OdinMS was around 2007. However, the server was definitely being worked on before the news of a server came out. It might have taken them anywhere from months to possibly a year and a half to have created it. There was almost no materials around to get them started besides a few WZ extractors, and a few localhost were lying around. Essentially, they had nothing to base their code off of. They wrote their code entirely by themselves with a help of a few other knowledgeable members (such as Moose) of the community, and their source was written based on their knowledge of how MapleStory works. At that point in time, not many had the same amount of knowledge as those who wrote OdinMS did or those who provided information to them, so it was impressive in that aspect. However, if you begin to start looking at how efficient their code is, I would say it simply just gets the work done. A lot of things are done rather inefficiently, and the code could definitely be more maintainable as well. The server was great and managed to hold a significant amount of people, but it definitely lagged a lot at certain points and the server did crash a few times. Besides all that, there were definitely bugs and exploits everywhere. Let’s look a bit further in time, there was DestinyMS source. I’d say that’s the best candidate to compare with OdinMS simply due to how widespread it was due to the well-known developers, the completion of the source, professionalism of some staff members, and some new innovative systems that were implemented into a low-rate GMS like server. I’ve heard various rumors that DestinyMS was probably one of the most stable sources out there although not everything was completed and there was exploits in there. That just goes to show that future generations do have members that reached or nearly reached the same level of knowledge as those who started OdinMS. And let’s look at the current sources now, Lithium source/TetraSEA source, these are pretty much the OdinMS of the generation. Almost all the servers lying out there, or most of the sources that the members have are all based off these two sources, and the completion and stability of the sources are quite amazing.

Would OdinMS been better in another programming language? Such as C++, C#, Delphi
That is an interest thought, but the best way this could be answered is it depends on who wrote the code. If you are asking if the OdinMS crew wrote the code in another language besides Java, then I would consider on their expertise in that language. Yes, there are far more efficient languages than Java. C++ would probably be the most dominant, since it is a low-language and is pretty much the most efficient you can get beside writing things in Assembly and binary. But, you must also consider the expertise of those who are developing. If they are uncomfortable with a language, they won’t be able to utilize all the potential of the language, or they won’t be able to write efficient and readable code in such a language. As a result of this, it could end in a more ‘unfinished’ or ‘non-user friendly’ source, and OdinMS might not have even been picked up by the following generation.

Also, for your last little paragraph, I had some trouble understanding the last part. I will just answer the part that I do understand. Yes. I also agree that some parts of the code were rather messy before they closed since they were probably trying to update their server as soon as possible as more servers were start to arise, and they wanted to ensure that they were ahead of the competition since they started this after all.

Sincerely,
Dynamik.

Last edited:
Reaction score
lol the sad part is OP isn't even trolling. He's ExtremeDevilz so it's hard to take him seriously at all. He can't code, and is literally just talk. He is the type of person he talked about in his other thread who starts developments and doesn't finish them, or just barely edits some packets and calls it another version. He has accounts that reply in favor of his own posts, and he has more accounts than StripedCow on this forum.

Now I have had this discussion with others (that can code) such as Simon from LocalMS and people like Simon say that the source is pretty well done, and that the people must have coded in industry in the past. The source isn't actually bad at all if you take the clean odinms. It follows certain coding conventions that you don't see beginners use and the structure is pretty well organized. I have only seen a few questionable parts in odinms, and then later decided that it wasn't important. I mean, this could have been someone's final project for some programming class extended to some full time job. Many of the memory leaks and issues were not from the original source, but later added in by OdinTeh and other contributors.

These days, who hasn't written a source from scratch if they were here in the OdinMS days? I have too, except the source sucked and it was boring to add things to it. With time I probably could have made it slightly faster by using only TCP/UDP but I have better projects out there to do, other stuff that I can actually put on a resume. OdinMS would not have been better in other languages. It would probably be the same. Everyone has a coding style and OdinMS would probably look similar in C++ and in Java, even though they would probably preserve the conventional coding styles.

Basically what set OdinMS apart from most people here that even have coded a source from scratch is they were committed to start something from scratch and continue it. I've seen tons of people create something new and just walk away from it. It is not hard to do a bit of server client stuff. What I see usually is people that start something and then go back to something else. Only a few people have actually made cool progress.

edit:
I don't find this thread useless and it probably will give good discussion, but the issue is that OP probably started it for negative reasons.

Last edited:
my milkshake.
Reaction score
OdinMS didn't just make something half butt, I don't know the 'history' behind it but someone has to have genuine talent and intelligence to create what they did just out of thin numbers and letters from their head and be able to bring it to life through a computer.

Just speaking from what I've witnessed playing, they got the basics done, but in a seemingly complex game like Maplestory, that's the most important thing and obviously they set a legacy even if they weren't 'first'. I guess I agree with above a bit that it is pretty 'professional' because they really built this whole thing themselves, every developer following them regardless of how well they are, are always going to be building on top of their work with (what I assume) are the important bits already laid out. I see that as sophistication that I haven't really seen anywhere else other than Vana/Titan, but that's just ol' me. Best word I would describe Odin with is 'timeless'.

/dramaticnarratormode

Reaction score
Before diamondo/peter/rice come in and say that C++/C# are god languages and java sucks penis, the OdinMS developers probably knew what they were doing (i.e. they weren't dumbasses). C++/C# definitely have their advantages, and if someone wrote a complete source in C, it would probably run more efficiently.
Whoa there, I don't think that Java sucks dicks (although PHP on the other hand...). Java is a fine language on it's own, it's just that trying to make Java run fast requires not only understanding optimization, but also understand the JVM so you can figure out why its GC is making your poop run as slow as molasses. Also, the mentality that Java gives you of not having to worry about optimization, because you think the JVM and its GC will handle that for you. This is why I hate Java. I also personally dislike Java's limited language and syntax, but do I think Java sucks? No. The problem is that most of the people here are terrible programmers and/or program only enough to get their server running and profitable. Do players care if you managed to lower your memory requirements? No. Do they care if you added some crappily coded, but awesome new feature? Of course, they love it. This is why MapleStory pservers are coded the way they are, and that won't change no matter what language you use. However, if we were using C++, the development community would be a lot smaller due to the much steeper difficulty curve. We'd have a much higher ratio of pros to noobs, but we'd also have less activity going on. So having OdinMS in Java is actually one of the better things for this community simply because most of the time nobody actually needs or is capable of using what other languages offer, and Java makes entry into the community easy.

Delta
Loyal Member
Reaction score
keeping it simple but you can state your own points ;) no off-topic please.

Kay, keeping it simple.

You're on the bandwagon with the majority of the new comers who've entered into the age of "C# / C++ / Delphi / Etc, etc".
If you've ever taken a deep look at the oldest and last revision of the source, itself, you would see that

1. Sure it is messy. But more importantly
2. That it was and still in many ways is the pioneering core for the sources or rather "repacks / remakes" today.

He has accounts that reply in favor of his own posts, and he has more accounts than StripedCow on this forum.

Blue(?) yea? If so that's true haha, except far from him. Blue has actually matured in many aspects over the years, and even with smartass remarks to certain threads, they are cleaver and make me chuckle :p

Delta
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Uhm, I can tell you that Blue has more accounts here than zPsychotic!
Haha I kind of figured I remember the whole issue way back when, but haven't the majority of them been banned in one way or another? Regardless though I don't think that will change much of the way I look at him now :p I think he primarily (or as far as I know) sticks to StripedCow? :O hah

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
secondly I honestly think that any programming would be good as long as the developer/user have the interest to learn.

No, just no. What people may perceive as good, may be better. Especially when you've just started learning. Even though you have the interest to learn, there's bound to be better ways to do something. Even now, I still never do stop learning, there's just so much room for improvement.

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
Haha I kind of figured I remember the whole issue way back when, but haven't the majority of them been banned in one way or another? Regardless though I don't think that will change much of the way I look at him now :p I think he primarily (or as far as I know) sticks to StripedCow? :O hah

Yep I stay on this account!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
if you want to see a C++ Source of maplestory, i known the best one is stable than odinms it's call Vana

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I may not be a "pro" by many standards, but allow me to say this; If you honestly believe OdinMS was a mistake to the development of private servers... do yourself and everyone else a favor and see yourself out of the section. They are one of the great pioneers of development. I'll even go so far as to say if they hadn't been around, development would have died a long time ago. People long forget there was a time when anything non-Java was next to nonexistent to the public.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
without Odin, you won't see any maplestory private servers at all.

✞ Godlike ✞
Reaction score
OdinMS wasn't a mistake, but it was a mistake by Matze and Serpendiem to not hiding their personal information. (Most obvious fact, ever.)

OdinMS was probably one of the better things to happen in MMORPG development, in general.

Many people learned how to code by the OdinMS source, and then when development started "dieing", they most likely moved on to other MMORPG's.

Then again, you can always see things through different perspectives :)

Back