What is everyone from this section up to now?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    ModeratorRank
    Jan 2010 Join Date
    DEV CityLocation
    2,958Posts

Re: What is everyone from this section up to now?

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

Quote Originally Posted by kingslime View Post
    Um, I stand corrected.
    These are what I remember from the back of my mind, I just remember the client was somewhat broken in v40b - I don't quite remember what it was.
    Yeah, most things were working or didn't exist. Also, I coded the Cash Shop entirely after I released v40b. It was the last thing I coded for it and I don't recall ever having any problems. You're probably right though, being an old version there's bound to be some client bugs as well. ;P

MemberRank
    Aug 2012 Join Date
    20Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorJesus View Post
    Its been years since this section has been active and going, wondering what everyone has been up to? School/Work/Etc?

How are you all doing?

It've been 5 years! woah, I'm amazed that you guys are still around.
    I've been playing a bit of MapleStorySEA recently, it does seems that private servers are going nostalgic while the official server feels more like private server of the past.
    The amount of players have dropped dramatically too..

Stumbled upon this article earlier
    How a Silicon Valley teen made thousands of dollars hacking a wildly popular online game - Business Insider
    and I thought of popping by Ragezone to see how have things gone.. There's a strikingly similarities between him and me back then.

However I'm more disappointed about the state of the community, time seems to have frozen since 2011/2012.

Even my old thread were still at the first page of RageZone. I just looked around the net, old screenshots of celino, all the arguments I've made with people in the past on ragezone (john, Xerixe haha lol).
    Familiar faces around! kipe, Expedia, kevintjuh93, richan (maybe, that nexon avatar), RatorJesus, Diamando, retep998 .
    Yes, there were bad moments but just as I looked back I really miss every single one of them!

As for me personally, I'm currently in the field of Computer science & economics.
    I'm an indie mobile app developer (android, windows), a bitcoiner, and a day trader (stocks, forex, BTC)

Just shortly after Celino was shut down I've moved on to Windows Phone/Windows 8 app development (*due to nexon, as you know it).
    My daily expenses was pretty much reliant on Celino, and there was an urgent need to look for another source of revenue.. It was certainly a right choice, as android and iOS have just taken off at that time and competition in Windows wasn't too high. Past 3 years, the revenue have been consistently at 6 digit annually (USD terms) ..

I'm from Singapore and yes, I was a school dropout. GCE O-Level with a score of 26.
    I must say, I've learned almost everything I need throughout 2009~2012 when developing typicalms/Celino. The fact is that before OdinMS was released, my knowledge was only limited to cheatengine scripting, and a bit of assembly instruction.

If I have a time machine that's able to bring me back to 2009, will i do this again? Yes I will certainly do this all over again. Even at the risk of being Lord Corned.

Excuse me from my absent for over 4 years.

Just like the 'silicon valley' teen who was sued by Nexon for duplicating items/meso, I'm sure many of you here are too successful in your life :) You guys are a bunch of unusual beast!

It certainly wasn't easy, relative to the grade orientated society I live in but I believe what you have achieved for yourself is more important. Does it really matter if you're having a perfect GPA and yet you're only able to work on what's within your scope, like a zombie?

- - - Updated - - -

Source code of celino wasn't released when it was shut down. Sorry about that, I do thought of contributing back to the community.
    However as part of the settlement with Nexon I am not allowed to do that.
    Last edited by LightPepsi1; 18-02-16 at 09:37 PM.

True MemberRank
    Sep 2010 Join Date
    970Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Takeoverkyle View Post
    A little update, my last year of HS(2013~2014), turned out I had a low GPA and couldn't graduate. Honestly, didn't even care that much since it gave me something to do. Over that summer, I did summer school and managed to finish a class but that wasn't enough. The next school year(2014~2015), I went to the school for 5 weeks to sit in a room til 10:30AM everyday til my online makeup classes were ready. Sat at home and worked on those til the end of the year and finally finished them. Now, I'm applying for college and got accepted to one within 24 hours. Plan on going for graphic design since I'm getting into it and took Digital Design 1 in my senior year. The school I applied to, is actually 5 minutes away and really anyone can get into it unless you're really dumb for some reason. I plan on doing online classes for all 4 years if possible since I don't care for people that much. Yea, kinda a shut-in but i do go outside every now and then to do stuff.

TL;DR - Fucked up my last year of HS and made it up. Applied for college, got accepted and plan on studying Graphic Design.
    Here's my 6 months update on my situation.

ESports - After getting accepted to the college, I kinda just sat around and played video games to kill time and did a lot of other things. For the past 2-ish years or so, I've been apart of a Call of Duty Statistics team that is pretty popular. With the publisher(Activison) starting a league for NA, EU, and ANZ, there's matches on Tuesdays and Wednesdays of the week, we've been really working hard to get everything together to help the community to get a deeper understanding of the game and important numbers. It's mostly a bunch of college kids from NA and EU. I'll be honest, I stopped watching LoL since I quit the game and gave my account to a friend. Been trying to get into CSGO, Overwatch, and Halo. Thank god we're back on Twitch because we just watch VODs if we miss something.

Designing - Am I still designing? Yes, I am. It's still mostly been CoD stuff, but I tend to jump towards other games like CSGO, Maplestory/Maplestory 2, and just random things. I try and work most of the time during the week to just make random graphics and hope to improve my skills.

College - College isn't as bad as I thought it would be. One class was a resource type of class that lasted 4 weeks and you meet once a week. You just sat there for 35,45,60min and just listen to a lecture on how to use their website, navigate through the online classes, and how to get help. Was it a good class? Not really, just felt like a waste of time. If I could've dropped it w/o getting a bad grade I probably would've. Anyways, I'm now taking 4 classes online(Developmental Writing/Reading, Intermediate Algebra, and Computer Applications) which I have mostly A's and B's in which is something I'd never thought I would have. Over the summer, I plan on taking Liberal Arts 1 and Comp 1 since the Math and English/Writing class I'm currently taking is an elective class because of State Tests(in Florida).

Maplestory - Do I still play? A little bit, but not as much as I used to. After Ellinia shit the bed as i sat in their IRC everyday talking to people, I just left. There was a rumor going around about another server called 'Dawnveil'. After hopping in their Discord/Forums when they finally opened their closed beta, I decided to give it a try. Hard to tell how good it'll be since it's in beta, but looks promising and I'll probably play it.

Other - I'm not really sure what else I could talk about. Honestly, if you have any questions, just reply to this. If not, I'll give another update in 6 months or so if I remember with my shit memory..

MemberRank
    Aug 2012 Join Date
    20Posts

Here's an account of my story, at least 8 years ago during the days of odinms...

https://indoctrination.wordpress.com.../game-hacking/

well ;) I'm still writing as I speak, it may not be completed yet. Quite lengthy.

ModeratorRank
    Jan 2010 Join Date
    DEV CityLocation
    2,958Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Takeoverkyle View Post
    Here's my 6 months update on my situation.

ESports - After getting accepted to the college, I kinda just sat around and played video games to kill time and did a lot of other things. For the past 2-ish years or so, I've been apart of a Call of Duty Statistics team that is pretty popular. With the publisher(Activison) starting a league for NA, EU, and ANZ, there's matches on Tuesdays and Wednesdays of the week, we've been really working hard to get everything together to help the community to get a deeper understanding of the game and important numbers. It's mostly a bunch of college kids from NA and EU. I'll be honest, I stopped watching LoL since I quit the game and gave my account to a friend. Been trying to get into CSGO, Overwatch, and Halo. Thank god we're back on Twitch because we just watch VODs if we miss something.

Designing - Am I still designing? Yes, I am. It's still mostly been CoD stuff, but I tend to jump towards other games like CSGO, Maplestory/Maplestory 2, and just random things. I try and work most of the time during the week to just make random graphics and hope to improve my skills.

College - College isn't as bad as I thought it would be. One class was a resource type of class that lasted 4 weeks and you meet once a week. You just sat there for 35,45,60min and just listen to a lecture on how to use their website, navigate through the online classes, and how to get help. Was it a good class? Not really, just felt like a waste of time. If I could've dropped it w/o getting a bad grade I probably would've. Anyways, I'm now taking 4 classes online(Developmental Writing/Reading, Intermediate Algebra, and Computer Applications) which I have mostly A's and B's in which is something I'd never thought I would have. Over the summer, I plan on taking Liberal Arts 1 and Comp 1 since the Math and English/Writing class I'm currently taking is an elective class because of State Tests(in Florida).

Maplestory - Do I still play? A little bit, but not as much as I used to. After Ellinia shit the bed as i sat in their IRC everyday talking to people, I just left. There was a rumor going around about another server called 'Dawnveil'. After hopping in their Discord/Forums when they finally opened their closed beta, I decided to give it a try. Hard to tell how good it'll be since it's in beta, but looks promising and I'll probably play it.

Other - I'm not really sure what else I could talk about. Honestly, if you have any questions, just reply to this. If not, I'll give another update in 6 months or so if I remember with my shit memory..
    CoD <3. Do you play 360/PS3/PS4, or just design/video edit? ;P

True MemberRank
    Sep 2010 Join Date
    970Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    CoD <3. Do you play 360/PS3/PS4, or just design/video edit? ;P
    I mainly play BO3 on the X1. Haven't played much since the recent CSGO operation that dropped yesterday. I used to edit event videos but then stopped since I got bored of it.

Working on getting into electrical engineering at University of Toronto, McMaster, or Western University up in here Ontario

MemberRank
    Jan 2014 Join Date
    1Posts

I was never "active" on ragezone. I first came here at 13-14 looking to create my own MS server. I made numerous trips back over the years. I would quit the server, only to restart again months/years later over nostalgia. While I was never in the community, this forum and maplestory/Maple private servers have and always will hold a special place in my heart.

Now, at 21, I'm going towards a degree in Nursing. Computer science, for me, would be a waste. Unlike some of the amazing developers here, I am not skilled enough to enter the field. While I am by no means computer illiterate (and I learned much during the years I spent with private servers), spending my current free time working on setting up a home Elastix server to make free calls and hopefully spoof caller ID all so I may ruin the days of a bunch of tech support/IRS/419 Scammers, I really am nothing special in terms of computer science. Sure I would be good at it, but I wouldn't be anything that stands out. Plus, in 30 years, I will be unable to keep up and, as such, out of a job.

Still, I thank everyone here for the foundational knowledge you have all provided. I am sorry I didn't speak up then, but I wish you all the best on your endeavors.

True MemberRank
    Jul 2008 Join Date
    Sweden ♡Location
    797Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Okami817 View Post
    I was never "active" on ragezone. I first came here at 13-14 looking to create my own MS server. I made numerous trips back over the years. I would quit the server, only to restart again months/years later over nostalgia. While I was never in the community, this forum and maplestory/Maple private servers have and always will hold a special place in my heart.

Now, at 21, I'm going towards a degree in Nursing. Computer science, for me, would be a waste. Unlike some of the amazing developers here, I am not skilled enough to enter the field. While I am by no means computer illiterate (and I learned much during the years I spent with private servers), spending my current free time working on setting up a home Elastix server to make free calls and hopefully spoof caller ID all so I may ruin the days of a bunch of tech support/IRS/419 Scammers, I really am nothing special in terms of computer science. Sure I would be good at it, but I wouldn't be anything that stands out. Plus, in 30 years, I will be unable to keep up and, as such, out of a job.

Still, I thank everyone here for the foundational knowledge you have all provided. I am sorry I didn't speak up then, but I wish you all the best on your endeavors.
    Your nickname looks oddly familiar.

Adding my small update to stay on-topic; Working on a website/forum and managing a community for a Sudden Attack private server (another Neckson game).

Just waiting for that DMCA to drop. Thank god for no more l'korn.

Alpha MaleRank
    Oct 2010 Join Date
    Down undah mateLocation
    1,637Posts

I come back every now and then to check on you guys, i always get sad though. I miss this place and it feels very nostalgic browsing through threads and seeing familiar names
    Quote Originally Posted by Dang View Post
    Ho chi minh ! Vietnam vietnam walao walao la la ho chi minhhhhhh! i drink nuoc mam like its water!

True MemberRank
    Jun 2006 Join Date
    Calgary, ABLocation
    691Posts

Have I seriously been around Ragezone for 11 years? Geez...

Uh, just... living I guess.
    Yes, I am THAT Diabllo from LocalMS. Stop asking.

Alpha MaleRank
    Apr 2008 Join Date
    1,999Posts

Guess I might as well update things too, since I last posted I moved over to working in Business Intelligence now doing sales/marketing analytics for the same company I've been working for the last few years which has been fucking fantastic. Been working with extremely talented folks. I'll also be traveling the world this year. Tokyo, Hong Kong and Greece in the next 6 months.

Hope all is doing well, sad to see MapleStory dying out but there's only so much nostalgia can do it seems these days.
    WHO UP CLICC LIEK

True MemberRank
    Sep 2008 Join Date
    1,435Posts

It's been a while. Surprisingly, things seemed to have slowed down by a lot compared to 2012. Looking back at old posts, I feel that I was so immature back then. After releasing Lithium, I went back to focus on my middle/high school for a couple of years. Then I took a gap year to do my own stuff (competitive programming, startups, node.js, etc.). I just started my undergraduate studies in CS at Waterloo last Fall. I've moved into DevOps/Infrastructure engineering since then.

It's good to hear from everyone!
    Last edited by AuroX; 04-04-17 at 09:15 AM.

True MemberRank
    Apr 2015 Join Date
    212Posts

Just finished my graduation and currently working as a dev in finantial services area.

MemberRank
    Jan 2008 Join Date
    159Posts

This is Superraz777 AKA "Snow" as most people knew it.
    Just randomly decided to see if this place was still a thing and saw this thread.

Finished up 2 degrees from uni and moved to LA to work as a Software Engineer at SpaceX
    Last edited by superraz777; 30-07-17 at 09:14 AM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Advertisement