Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

New Section Format

Which format do you like best?

• Current Format

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Fraysa's Format

Votes: 39 92.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
A nice rusty brown for Rust?
Glaring black and yellow caution tape for C++?
Hot pink for Java?
If this is the case, there should be multiple tags allowed for languages for projects that use multiple languages, like NoLifeStory that uses C++ and Rust.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I do support a reconfiguration of the current format. I do like how web development would get it's own section in your proposition. Maybe it would bring some more life into it. I'm also in support of completely removing the general discussion section because of it's lack of activity.

A nice rusty brown for Rust?
Glaring black and yellow caution tape for C++?
Hot pink for Java?

Or a nice shade of burgundy for Rust! :p: In all seriousness I do like the idea of color coded language tags for organizational sake. Beats having 10+ sub-sections, in my opinion.

Reaction score
I don't see the problem with adding all releases into one category.

It will only clutter if you want it to. If we are all clear in our threads and use a prefix, there isn't an issue:

Fraysa - New Section Format - RaGEZONE Forums

Just add a couple more prefixes, or change the current ones to a format as: [language][post_type] and it should be fine.

I could deal with that, but hopefully everyone uses prefix's

Yeah, yeah, whatever you wish.

orange for java

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I'd be pretty happy if we just had a good system of prefixes and the rules required that people use them and people actually did use them correctly.

It wouldn't be hard (if there isn't already a setting in admincp) to create a quick plugin requiring a prefix for the thread to actually get posted.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
I do support another format. However I won't just accept this format. I want some research about what is possibly the best format. I will think about several formats after this weekend. I don't have much time this weekend.

Also, if another formats gets accepted, then we will need to arrange some time to move a lot of threads.

tl;dr
Some research and brainstorming together to get the best format is something I support.

Reaction score
I do support another format. However I won't just accept this format. I want some research about what is possibly the best format. I will think about several formats after this weekend. I don't have much time this weekend.

Also, if another formats gets accepted, then we will need to arrange some time to move a lot of threads.

tl;dr
Some research and brainstorming together to get the best format is something I support.

Can we set a timeline? The last time(s) a new plan just sorta died out.

Reaction score
Can we set a timeline? The last time(s) a new plan just sorta died out.

I agree. When-ever we talk about changes to this section they never happen eventually because people take their time. I'm fine with your decision, kevintjuh93, it's totally understandable, but it needs to happen soon or it'll die out like greenelfx said.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
I'll make sure it does NOT die out.
Let's say we have it sorted before seventh of August. I will be on a vacation to Spain then. With not much time to spend on the internet (ofcourse)

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the entire point of splitting the section originally between "java" and "everything else" was to promote "everything else", seeing as Java has a near monopoly on this section, and that anything written in any other language that wasn't immediately ready for general use would simply be pushed all the way down by everything written in java.

Personally, I think simply the addition of a Web Development section is good enough. You get to keep the original benefits of not drowning out non-Java stuff by dumping it all into one section in addition to avoiding the organizational troubles to reorganize the threads, and then also enforce new rules that most won't even bother following unless it is absolutely mandatory in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the entire point of splitting the section originally between "java" and "everything else" was to promote "everything else", seeing as Java has a near monopoly on this section, and that anything written in any other language that wasn't immediately ready for general use would simply be pushed all the way down by everything written in java.

Personally, I think simply the addition of a Web Development section is good enough. You get to keep the original benefits of not drowning out non-Java stuff by dumping it all into one section in addition to avoiding the organizational troubles to reorganize the threads, and then also enforce new rules that most won't even bother following unless it is absolutely mandatory in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

The major problem with the Alternative Languages section (not talking about the mess with the web related threads) is that people rarely visit it, and threads that have to do with MapleStory server development (which are sometimes not even a language-related release) are thrown into there. So for example a IP Address list for Neckson's servers will be posted there - but it's not a language-related release!

However, with the new format you can put it into the Server Development section and tag it as whatever you want.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
I am supportive with this idea, I like that Web Dev is getting it's own dedicated section and that the Discussion forums are moved back to it's original spot (I've always thought that having fragmented discussion sections was a stupid move).

I don't really care for the Alternative Languages section since the threads that are actually non web-dev related are so few and far in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back