Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Can you get sued for running a Private Server?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I was thinking that if you do not make a profit and use a client redirector you couldn't be sued.

Please tell me how I could run a Private Server without being sued.

Reaction score
As long as you don't distribute any of Nexon's stuff such as a localhost or their wz files, and any donations are purely for paying the cost of the server, then there is nothing really that Nexon can do.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
As long as you don't distribute any of Nexon's stuff such as a localhost or their wz files, and any donations are purely for paying the cost of the server, then there is nothing really that Nexon can do.

so your saying that I could use a redirector and get away with it?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think that as long as you don't get too big then they won't even bother going after you.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Use hamachi, and register-2-view forum, to never get sued?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well of course you can get sued for illegal actions.
And abusing someone's copyrighted file and manipulating is illegal,
and here you are taking their game client (localhost) and content (wz files)
to run a new instance of their game.

Delta
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@OP ....... Reaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy I mean .. just .. REAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLYYYYY ???????

asked 200 times minimum ...

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I'm botting 6 characters in their official servers, and emulating their own up to date server as well. I haven't been sued yet so...

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
ArcaneMS used a redirector and looked what happened to them so..If you pretty much are hosting a server in anyway..There is a chance you will get sued by Nexon.
Yeah, for forcing a breach of contract.

I'm botting 6 characters in their official servers, and emulating their own up to date server as well. I haven't been sued yet so...

I'm black, and I stole some guys bike as well. I haven't been arrested yet so...
(Assuming by ``emulating'' you are also distributing a modified, DRM-Breaking client

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Yeah, for forcing a breach of contract.

I'm black, and I stole some guys bike as well. I haven't been arrested yet so...
(Assuming by ``emulating'' you are also distributing a modified, DRM-Breaking client

I see what you did there.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
@OP ....... Reaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy I mean .. just .. REAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLYYYYY ???????

asked 200 times minimum ...

Keep in mind, every time someone asks this question, it's filled with piles of misinformation but uninformed people who have no understanding of the law. Unfortunately, however, that's never going to change, so there will continue to be threads like this asking, and receiving ill-informed information.

Long story short, there are practices here that are legal, and there are practices that are not. It's highly dependent on regional law, and as such, you're best of researching it yourself if you're concerned about it. The law isn't perfect anywhere though, and so, you never really know how it would work out until well... it works out. Also, outside the realm of regional law, if you're using a source based on OdinMS and you do not make the source available to everyone who has access to the server (i.e. can connect to it), then you are breaking the license, and your rights to the software are revoked. As such, you're committing a civil offense as per the Affero GPL license. However, as Odin has never even tried to sue someone, I think the biggest concern for everyone is the aspects that depend more on regional laws.

As for the US, there are two aspects of most servers that fall into the realms of "illegal activity." One of them is a white-collared crime, and the other is a civil offense. The white-collared crime is a simple one, it's fraud. This is the result of servers misrepresenting themselves and asking for so-called donations which never actually end up benefiting the server. It is not legal to ask for donations to support a server, and to use them as profit. That is actually a very serious offense, and could potentially cause you a lot of legal trouble. As for the civil offense, it's the one everyone knows and loves. You're using Nexon's copyrighted content. Though, in all actuality, as long as you don't distribute it, you're pretty much okay under US law. This means no distributing modified clients, and no distributing modified wz files. Redirectors are a grey area, because it's actually dependent on how they operate, and as such, you should have an intimate understanding of how your redirector functions. So, now you all know. Don't be an idiot, and you won't break any [US] laws. This information may very well be misrepresentative of other countries, but it should hold true pretty well in the US. There's been supreme court cases, and the like that represent various aspects of this.

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Releasing Phantom before GMS =/= redirector talk

no lol, that's not the problem because Extalia released cannoneers long before they were out. I think a few servers had jobs before they were out too. There is also some talk about it on that other thread. They just shut down because Nexon identified who they were (something like that). Also you guys must have missed the ToS update for nexon. Redirectors are not allowed.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
no lol, that's not the problem because Extalia released cannoneers long before they were out. I think a few servers had jobs before they were out too. There is also some talk about it on that other thread. They just shut down because Nexon identified who they were (something like that). Also you guys must have missed the ToS update for nexon. Redirectors are not allowed.

EULAs have never been tested in court, and are greatly contested for the power they hold, and the manner in which they abuse end users. As such, I wouldn't say that's the best defense. Not to mention, you don't have to agree to the EULA to download or install MapleStory.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Also you guys must have missed the ToS update for nexon. Redirectors are not allowed.
doesn't matter, anyone can disagree to the ToS, a contract that isn't even legally backed. problem solved.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
EULAs have never been tested in court, and are greatly contested for the power they hold, and the manner in which they abuse end users. As such, I wouldn't say that's the best defense. Not to mention, you don't have to agree to the EULA to download or install MapleStory.

Also TOS when making an account and another one when logging on to a new account.

Back