Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How to use eclipse IDE instead of nerdbeans

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Since i quit maple development for game development, i switched to eclipse as it is more lightweight and used by professionals alot more than netbeans is and i thought i would share to the maple community how you can use eclipse too for maple development.

in this example, i am going to use moopledev has an example. You should be able to adapt it to any source though as the process is practically the same.

1 - Extract moople into a folder
2 - Assuming you have installed eclipse, make a new java project

oxysoft - How to use eclipse IDE instead of nerdbeans - RaGEZONE Forums

3 - Give your project a name and untick use "Use default location" and press the browse button

4 - Navigate to the folder where you extracted your source and press Ok

5 - Don't touch anything else other than JRE (switch it to java 7 if needed (lithium etc))

6 - Press finish to create the project

7 - Right click on your newly created project and go to Run as > Run configurations...

8 - In the first tab, specify the main class to run (In moople's case, server.java)

9 - In the arguments tab next to the first tab, specify your JVM arguments from your default bat.

For moople:

10 - In the classpath tab, click on User entries, click the Add jars button, navigate to where your libs are located (Dist folder) and add each one of them. Press OK to confirm the jars.

11 - When you want to debug the server, press the button that looks like a bug. (What debugging mean is it will run the server like normal except when you make edits in the source while it is running and you save it, it will apply automatically in game. However, java hot swapping does not allow you to add new variables, methods etc without restarting the server, so you may only edit existing methods and such.

12 - If you wish to start the server normally without debugging, simply press the button right next to the debug button.

13 - simply open your client to get in-game!

--------

If you have any question regarding eclipse, just drop a post here. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Delta
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sure, I got a question for ya pal. I haven't used Eclipse for hmm .. 3 or 4 years now. Can you run the source code within Eclipse for debugging purposes directly within Eclipse itself? IE. How you can run release / debug directly within VS, upon which you can pause for modifications and resume?

Or is it much like Netbeans where you build the .jar, then run it externally? I recently got into some mobile development on the Andriod Market, so if Eclipse can run it within the IDE itself, it would be a hek of a time saver.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sure, I got a question for ya pal. I haven't used Eclipse for hmm .. 3 or 4 years now. Can you run the source code within Eclipse for debugging purposes directly within Eclipse itself? IE. How you can run release / debug directly within VS, upon which you can pause for modifications and resume?

Or is it much like Netbeans where you build the .jar, then run it externally? I recently got into some mobile development on the Andriod Market, so if Eclipse can run it within the IDE itself, it would be a hek of a time saver.

Yes that is what is included in this guide if you read it. :ehh: I'm not sure about mobile apps but if you can run them on your computer then i assume you can run it inside of Eclipse too.

Delta
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yes that is what is included in this guide if you read it. :ehh: I'm not sure about mobile apps but if you can run them on your computer then i assume you can run it inside of Eclipse too.
I read through it, I was just a little bit confused on whether or not that is what it did and especially when I saw the VM arguments. Thank you for clarifying it for me! :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
From my experiences thus far I've generally preferred NetBeans over Eclipse. Though I don't really have much reason for that haha.

That said, to use various plugins (not the least of which the nifty auto formatting option) I've had to switch to eclipse. But I've come across a problem that reminds me of the various problems I've had before and one of the reasons I disliked Eclipse. Maybe you can shed some light on what I'm missing.

My problem is that none of my files seem to be referencing each other. So, in my BuddyList.java I get an error that it can't import tools.blahblah. Or I can't use custom types. Do you have any idea why it doesn't notice that the files I'm referencing are already in the project? It seems like random ones work and random ones don't.

To make my project I first made an empty java project, then copied and pasted the folders into my projects "src" folder. Then I hit refresh on my project inside of eclipse.

I also tried following your instructions exactly but am getting the same errors.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
From my experiences thus far I've generally preferred NetBeans over Eclipse. Though I don't really have much reason for that haha.

That said, to use various plugins (not the least of which the nifty auto formatting option) I've had to switch to eclipse. But I've come across a problem that reminds me of the various problems I've had before and one of the reasons I disliked Eclipse. Maybe you can shed some light on what I'm missing.

My problem is that none of my files seem to be referencing each other. So, in my BuddyList.java I get an error that it can't import tools.blahblah. Or I can't use custom types. Do you have any idea why it doesn't notice that the files I'm referencing are already in the project? It seems like random ones work and random ones don't.

To make my project I first made an empty java project, then copied and pasted the folders into my projects "src" folder. Then I hit refresh on my project inside of eclipse.

I also tried following your instructions exactly but am getting the same errors.

If you followed my steps and you are still getting those errors, then i'm afraid i can't help you :(

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well folowing your steps didn't seem to work, even after restarting my computer. But after leaving it shut off overnight, when I turned it on in the morning I found it was working as it should. I don't understand it...

At any rate, I wasn't totally pleased with that option. I wanted it to copy the files into my workspace and use it from there (I'm OCD about how files in my computer are organized). So I tried putting the project where it should be and following your guide again but ran across an error saying that "MyMaple" already existed in my workspace (which it did since I had put it there and was trying to use those files, I'm not sure why that was a problem).

So here's what I ended up doing that worked best for me: Open eclipse (but don't create a project). Go to File>Import... then select "Existing Projects into Workspace" under the "General" folder. Hit "Next". Then hit "Browse" beside "Select Root Directory" and browse to the folder you extracted your source to. Hit the "Select All" button. Ensure that the "Copy projects into workspace" is checked. And hit finish.

I doubt most people are as bothered by file structure as I am, but who knows maybe that'll help someone. :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
May i know what is the arguments? I cant seems to see the image you uploaded.

Back