Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Setting up a server [+Client & Website][Any version] [Very Detailed][Dummies Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Setting up a server [+Client & Website][Any version] [Very Detailed][Dummies Edition]

The Complete Guide to Setting Up A MapleStory server!

There's a lot of guides out there, but a lot of them don't have screenshots, and most of them don't even know where the JCE files should be. It's only two folders, not 7 folders. Also, most of them aren't detailed.

First off, you need to know whether your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit.
Try either one of these two links :

Let's start! The things you need :
Java
Link :
Steps :
  1. Click the above link
  2. Choose your platform ( Operating System )
  3. Click continue ( You don't need to login / register, click the button below it )
    What they show there may be different if you selected a different OS ( Operating System. )
  4. After finishing your download, open the file, and install it. Just keep clicking next since there's nothing you should change.
  5. You installed Java! Congratulations. You're now 20% done.

Since you have installed java, let's move on to MySQL!

MySQL
Link :
Steps :
  1. Click the link above
  2. Download the correct MySQL for your computer.
  3. After the download is finished, run it and start installing!
  4. Choose Complete for the Setup type.
  5. When configuring your MySQL server, choose detailed configuration.
  6. Make sure Configure The MySQL Server now is ticked!
  7. Select Developer Machine or Server Machine if your computer is quite good. Screenshot :
  8. Select Multifunctional Database. Screenshot :
  9. Leave InnoDB Tablespace Settings as default
  10. Select Online Transaction Processing (OLTP)
  11. If you're hosting it on a dedicated server, leave Enable TCP/IP Networking and tick Add firewall exception. If you're not, untick Enable TCP/IP Networking and do not tick Add firewall exception for this port
  12. Leave Enable Strict Mode as it is.
  13. Select Standard Character Set
  14. Make sure Install As Windows Serivce is tick and make sure Launch the MySQL Server automatically is ticked as well. Screen shot :
  15. Do not tick Include Bin Directory in Windows PATH unless you know what you're doing.
  16. Set your root pasword. Screenshot:
  17. Then click finish / execute / done.
  18. You have finished installing MySQL! You are now 40% done!

NOTE : Screenshot may not be the same as your installer. It's just some pictures I found on the internet.

Since you have installed MySQL, let's move on to MySQL Query Browser or MySQL Workbench!

Which one should you install? MySQL Query Browser or MySQL Workbench? MySQL Query Browser is much more user friendly but it isn't as detailed MySQL Workbench. If you're a beginner, I would recommend you using MySQL Query Browser. In this guide, I will show how to set up MySQL Query Browser.

MySQL Query Browser
Link :
Steps :
  1. Scroll down and choose the correct installer for your computer.
  2. Download and open the file!
  3. I forgot the installation steps, but it should be simple and easy, just keep clicking next :).
  4. You're now done with installing MySQL Query Browser! You're now 50% done!

After getting those done, all you're left with is the source and the JCE files and of course, the client!

Let's first start off with the JCE files.

JCE Files ( Java Cryptography Extension )
Link :
Steps :
  1. Click the link above and start downloading.
  2. After the download is finished, extract the files. ( Press extract here )
  3. Copy the four files ( Select the files, and right click copy OR Ctrl + C )
  4. Paste them into these two folders. Overwrite all existing files.
    C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\jre\lib\security\
    AND
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\security\
  5. Now you're 60% done! Congratulations!

Hurray! Now you only have to set up the source!

Server Files
Firstly, you would need to decide which version you would want to use, the commonly used versions are v62, v75, v83. Please note, the sources / repacks below are not mine. I found them on the release library. I have not used them before. Use them at your own risk.

Links :

v83 :
  • Source : Click me
  • XML WZ Files :
v75 :
  • XML WZ Files :
v62 :
  • XML WZ Files :

Steps :
  1. Download the source you like along with the XML WZ files.
  2. Extract the Source if it's compressed ( .zip / .rar files )
  3. Extract the XML WZ files to the source folder ( Where your src folder is located. Not in it, but the same folder as it. )
  4. It should be SOURCE FOLDER\wz. An example of correct placement would be : Server Files\wz\Character.wz. Inside Server Files, there should be folders named : dist, src, scripts
  5. Copy the files mysql-connector-java-bin.jar, mina-core.jar, slf4j-jdk14.jar, slf4j-api.jar and place them into the server files folder. ( This is to prevent it from deleting when you compile ). These four files will now be referred as JAR FILES.
  6. Now, you need to change the configurations of the files!
  7. Firstly, try looking in the folder if there is world.properties or channel.properties or login.properties
  8. If there is, right click and open world.properties and change the settings as you like. The IP should be your WAN IP. A.k.a, your external IP.
  9. In login / channel.properties, make sure the IP is set to localhost or 127.0.0.1.
  10. If you do not have those 3 files, ignore step 7 and 8. Navigate to the folder : Server Files\src\constants\ServerConstants.java. Open that up with a text editor or use NetBeans ( It's a MUST to have NetBeans or Eclipse to compile the file. It needs to be compiled. ) Set the things inside here to anything you like, but for the HOST, or the IP, it needs to be your WAN IP.
  11. After this, you would need to compile the server files. For a complete guide on how to compile, visit this link : Click me
  12. After compiling, copy the JAR FILES to the dist folder.
  13. After all of the above is done, you can now launch your server!
  14. You are now 80% done! You're almost there!

IMPORTANT NOTES :
What should the project name ( When you create a project in NetBeans / Eclipse ) be?
Right click launch_channel.bat and click edit. Search for this
set CLASSPATH=.;dist\XXXXX.jar;. The XXXXX should be your project name.

Where is Server Files?!
Your Server Files folder is where you extracted your source to! It should look like this!
Xerixe - Setting up a server [+Client & Website][Any version] [Very Detailed][Dummies Edition] - RaGEZONE Forums

Ignore the ticks or !. It's my server's SVN.

You're at the final step! Aren't you just excited? I sure am not.

Database
Links : You don't need one.
Steps :
  1. Firstly, open up MySQL Query Browser
  2. Host : localhost
  3. User : root
  4. Password : The password you set up during the installation of MySQL
  5. Default Schema : Just leave it blank
  6. You should have something like this :
  7. Press file > open script
  8. Navigate to your server files folder. There should be a .sql file there, or inside a .sql folder. Open it and click execute.
  9. If there is more than one .sql files, repeat step 8 until all are executed.
  10. Now your database has been fully set up! You're 95% done!

You're so close! Don't you just feel like having an orgasm?If you do, you're effing gay.

Final Step!
  1. Firstly, make an account. You must first set up a website. The guide to setting up a website can be found below.
  2. If you're smart enough, you can ignore step one and insert it manually via MySQL Query Browser.
  3. Change your db.properties or config.properties or there's a chance that the database settings might be in ServerConstants.java. Edit the part where it says password so it can connect properly.
  4. Also, please make sure that the database name matches the URL. If the database name in MySQL is called "odinms" then make sure the url writes jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/odinms
  5. If the file is in ServerConstants.java, please remember to compile.
  6. You're now all set to run the server!
  7. First, open launch_world.bat, wait for 5 seconds, then open launch_login.bat, wait another 5 seconds, then open launch_channel.bat.
  8. Your server should be up and running! All you need now is a client to connect to your server. You can search up guides on how to hex edit your client.
  9. If there's any error in the batch files, feel free to post them here and I'll try my best to help you with it. Please note, I will not fix in game bugs for you, I'll only help you make sure that your server is running.

Congratulations, your server is now up and running!

Now let's set up our website and client shall we?

Website
Links :
WampServer :
FlareCMS :

Steps :
  1. Firstly, download a web server and also a CMS. In this guide, I'll be using wampserver and also FlareCMS.
  2. After you finish downloading WampServer, run it and install it.
  3. Make sure WampServer running. The icon will look like this
    Xerixe - Setting up a server [+Client & Website][Any version] [Very Detailed][Dummies Edition] - RaGEZONE Forums
  4. Click on it, select MySQL and press Remove service. Screenshot :
  5. Then, click on WampServer again, click www directory.
  6. Extract FlareCMS, and copy everything inside the folder to the www directory.
  7. Your www directory should look like this.
  8. Now, open config.php with notepad / wordpad / whatever you feel comfortable with. Edit the things to your liking, it's already explained there, so you should have no problems.
  9. Once you're done editing config.php, click on WampServer, and press Put Online. Wait for a while, and wamp server should look like this :
  10. Open up your MySQL Query Browser, and connect, press file > open script > go to your www directory, then open sql folder, and select FlareCMS.sql. Then press execute, if there's any errors, ignore it. ( Make sure you selected your database )
  11. You can then try going to your website by clicking here :
  12. If you can visit the site successfully, your site is now fully set up and is now online! If you can't you did something wrong.
  13. Congratulations! You have successfully added your website!

Client
Links :
Hex Editor :

v62 client :

v75 client :

v83 client :

Steps :
  1. Firstly, you would need to download a client for your version and also a hex editor. ( You do not need to download a hex editor if you already have one ). You may find other clients which suits your needs in the Release Section
  2. Next, extract your client and hex editor ( You do not need to put them in the same folder ) If you already have a hex editor, just extract the localhost NOTE : Not all clients are compressed! Only extract them when they are .rar or .zip.
  3. Open up your hex editor ( Where you extracted it ). Name : XVI32.exe
  4. Once opened, press CTRL + O to open the file, you can also press File > Open on the top left of the application. Screenshot :
  5. Once you press open, there will be a lot of symbols / letters which you dont understand, dont worry, it's real easy! Now, press CTRL + F or alternatively, you can press Search > Find which is also located on the top left.
  6. Now, press Text String and search for 127.0.0.1. Screenshot :
  7. It will now show you different codes, look on the right side o the application. Do you see the 127.0.0.1? It should look like this

NOTE : The text / symbols before and after may be different for different versions. Ignore them.
  8. Next, type in your IP address over the 127.0.0.1 ( If you're only going to play yourself, you do not need to change the IP. This IP is your WAN IP or your Hamachi IP ). Let's say your IP is 217.23.11.121, it should look like this
  9. Now, you just need to save the client, like so :
  10. You can now run your client!

Congratulations, your server is now fully functional with everything it needs!

Have a question? Post it here, or you can send me a PM.

Alternatively, you can always add me up on MSN and i'll help you with your errors almost instantly, provided I'm not busy or afk.

MSN : Xerixe<the thing above 2 here>xerixe.com

Thanks for reading, comments and critics appreciated as well as the thanks button :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Subscriber and Mod!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Re: Setting up a MapleStory server from scratch. [ Any version ] [Very Detailed]

Nice guide man, I've read it through and I don't think you left anything out (yet). Good guide with colour and bold fonts, fairly detailed
Also you might want to add a small FAQ just incase the simples errors like what does it mean when 'java is not recognized.....'

Reaction score
Re: Setting up a MapleStory server from scratch. [ Any version ] [Very Detailed]

Decided to use this tutorial. If I find any mistakes, i'll be sure to notify you. Looks good so far though!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Firstly, try looking in the folder if there is world.properties or channel.properties or login.properties
If there is, right click and open world.properties and change the settings as you like. The IP should be your WAN IP. A.k.a, your external IP.
In login / channel.properties, make sure the IP is set to localhost or 127.0.0.1.
If you do not have those 3 files, ignore step 7 and 8. Navigate to the folder : Server Files\src\constants\ServerConstants.java. Open that up with a text editor or use NetBeans ( It's a MUST to have NetBeans or Eclipse to compile the file. It needs to be compiled. ) Set the things inside here to anything you like, but for the HOST, or the IP, it needs to be your WAN IP.

I dun have those 3 files, and that serverconstants is a text file.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Are you sure it's a text file? If it's in the src folder, it is almost definitely a .java file.

Oh, try changing it to a .java file.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

ok now i redownloaded it, its java.
But still i cant compile.
it gives 6 errors.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

You can post the error here and I'll help you with it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

init:
Deleting: C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Mooplex\build\built-jar.properties
deps-jar:
Updating property file: C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Mooplex\build\built-jar.properties
Compiling 434 source files to C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Mooplex\build\classes
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\constants\Serv erConstants.java:27: possible loss of precision
found : int
required: byte
public static byte EXP_RATE = 500;
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\constants\Serv erConstants.java:28: possible loss of precision
found : int
required: byte
public static byte MESO_RATE = 350;
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\net\channel\ha ndler\BuyCSItemHandler.java:222: cannot find symbol
symbol : method enableCSUse0()
c.getSession().write(MaplePacketCreator.enableCSUs e0());
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\net\channel\ha ndler\BuyCSItemHandler.java:223: cannot find symbol
symbol : method enableCSUse1()
c.getSession().write(MaplePacketCreator.enableCSUs e1());
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\net\channel\ha ndler\BuyCSItemHandler.java:224: cannot find symbol
symbol : method enableCSUse2()
c.getSession().write(MaplePacketCreator.enableCSUs e2());
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\net\channel\ha ndler\BuyCSItemHandler.java:225: cannot find symbol
symbol : method enableCSUse3()
c.getSession().write(MaplePacketCreator.enableCSUs e3());
6 errors
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Mooplex\nbproject\build-impl.xml:521: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Mooplex\nbproject\build-impl.xml:258: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
BUILD FAILED (total time: 3 seconds)

here =D

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Lol. Your CS has problems.

public static byte EXP_RATE = 500;
change it to
public static int EXP_RATE = 500;

public static byte MESO_RATE = 350;
change it to
public static int MESO_RATE = 350;

Not sure if it would work, or you could try doing (byte) 350 or (byte) 500

For the other 4 errors, go to tools\MaplePacketCreator.java

Add this

Code:
public static MaplePacket enableCSUse0() {
        MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter mplew = new MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter(7);
        mplew.write(0x12);
        mplew.write0(6);
        return mplew.getPacket();
    }

public static MaplePacket enableCSUse1() {
        MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter mplew = new MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter(9);
        mplew.writeShort(SendPacketOpcode.CS_OPERATION.getValue());
        mplew.write(0x4B);
        mplew.writeShort(0);
        mplew.writeShort(4);
        mplew.writeShort(5);
    }

public static MaplePacket enableCSUse2() {
        MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter mplew = new MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter(6);
        mplew.writeShort(0x4D);
        mplew.write0(2);
    }

public static MaplePacket enableCSUse3() {
        MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter mplew = new MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter(43);
        mplew.write(0x4F);
        mplew.write0(40);
    }

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

hm shall i addd it to the bottom?

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

i added second one to bottom adn replaced with int the first one.
i got 17 errors =P
itws probably bec i did second one wrong.
but int doesnt work, i guees

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

i dunno what i did but now i got only 3 errrors.
init:
Deleting: C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Mooplex\build\built-jar.properties
deps-jar:
Updating property file: C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Mooplex\build\built-jar.properties
Compiling 434 source files to C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Mooplex\build\classes
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\constants\ServerConstants.java:28: ';' expected
public static int MESO_RATE = 350
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\tools\MaplePacketCreator.java:6630: reached end of file while parsing
MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter mp
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\tools\MaplePacketCreator.java:6631: reached end of file while parsing

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

First error, add a ; behind the 350

Other error, because you didn't add it properly.
Add it before the last } in the bottom of the file.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

so will it be

/*
This file is part of the OdinMS Maple Story Server
Copyright (C) 2008 Patrick Huy <patrick.huy@frz.cc>
Matthias Butz <matze@odinms.de>
Jan Christian Meyer <vimes@odinms.de>

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as
published by the Free Software Foundation version 3 as published by
the Free Software Foundation. You may not use, modify or distribute
this program under any other version of the GNU Affero General Public
License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU Affero General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
*/
package constants;

public class ServerConstants {
public static short VERSION = 83;
// Rate Configuration
public static int EXP_RATE = 500;
public static int MESO_RATE = ;350
public static final byte DROP_RATE = 10;
public static final byte BOSS_DROP_RATE = 2;
public static final byte QUEST_EXP_RATE = 4;
public static final byte QUEST_MESO_RATE = 3;
// Login Configuration
public static final byte FLAG = 3;
public static final int CHANNEL_NUMBER = 2;
public static final int CHANNEL_LOAD = 50;
public static final String EVENT_MESSAGE = "SmileMS";
public static final long RANKING_INTERVAL = 3600000;
public static final boolean ENABLE_PIN = true;
public static final boolean ENABLE_PIC = true;
// Channel Configuration
public static String SERVER_MESSAGE = "SmileMS";
public static final String EVENTS = "";
// IP Configuration
public static final String HOST = "localhost";
;}
cuz when , do it makes 5 error =^

when i delete one behind the 350, it makes 3 again.

can you show the exact place please =3
itr my first time and its kinda confusing =D

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

wait i put the ; in whorn place.
its 350; sure.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

but still 2 errors.
init:
deps-jar:
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\tools\MaplePacketCreator.java:6630: reached end of file while parsing
MaplePacketLittleEndianWriter mp
C:\Documents and Settings\Dranxus\Desktop\Moople\src\tools\MaplePacketCreator.java:6631: reached end of file while parsing

Mother effin' clouds
Loyal Member
Reaction score

So proooo. Must thank.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

is there something to download at the v75 link cauuse nothing shows up.
This is my first server in the making and I'm kinda noobish so Please Help!
Thanks

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Yes, notice the SVN Link: RoboSrc v.75 SVN
You would need to use a SVN client such as tortoise svn to download it.
There'a a guide on it in the guide section.

return null;
Loyal Member
Reaction score

v88 stuff please.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Oh, I've added a tutorial on how to set up a website since there were people asking me for it.

I'll make a tutorial for setting up the client when I have time :).

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Lol how long did it take ya to write all that? Anyways, Good Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back