Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tut] Basic Java (with MapleStory-based examples)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, my advice is to take your time and experiment a bit with what you've learned already. practically ececuting what you're learning improves the amount of information that you save.

Read it again ofcourse, take your time, and it will be alright.
BTW, sorry for not yet adding the last 2 chapters... I think I won't succeed when i'm drunk. Too much of a party person... I should stop it.

enjoy life, you only live it once.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank you so frikcin much! I've been learning java from reading code on RZ and in the sources I download. I've read a few online tutorials, but the Maplestory examples is what I've been looking for forever!!! This is the best tutorial byfar on RZ. Can't WAIT till u update it!!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'd like to say thank you, this guide has been very helpful, since i am new to Java. It's very detailed, in my opinion.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Didn't read it completely, just skipped and read a little bit.

Just going to say that in the guide you implied that switch statement only operates with numbers. Which is not.

Switch operator also operates with characters.

PHP:
char deagan = 'd';
switch (deagan) {
    case 'o':
    case '+':
    case 'd':
        System.out.println("Lovah");
        break;
    default:
        System.out.println("Misery");
}

I'm sexy and I know it :)
Reaction score
Didn't read it completely, just skipped and read a little bit.

Just going to say that in the guide you implied that switch statement only operates with numbers. Which is not.

Switch operator also operates with characters.

PHP:
char deagan = 'd';
switch (deagan) {
    case 'o':
    case '+':
    case 'd':
        System.out.println("Lovah");
        break;
    default:
        System.out.println("Misery");
}

Oh really? Never knew, just for one char variables, or for strings aswell?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, my advice is to take your time and experiment a bit with what you've learned already. practically ececuting what you're learning improves the amount of information that you save.

Read it again ofcourse, take your time, and it will be alright.
BTW, sorry for not yet adding the last 2 chapters... I think I won't succeed when i'm drunk. Too much of a party person... I should stop it.

Thank you for your advice. However, I don't think I'll be able to learn this way. I'm being completely honest when I say this. This is just one of those things that requires a teacher to teach me for me to get this into my head.
Learning something like this will have to be hands on, in a classroom environment, with an instructor. I'm sure there are other out there are just like me in this situation. And there will be others who read this, and can understand it right away or after a few reads.

I appreciate your time and effort to help me.(And others)
:D

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. However, I don't think I'll be able to learn this way. I'm being completely honest when I say this. This is just one of those things that requires a teacher to teach me for me to get this into my head.
Learning something like this will have to be hands on, in a classroom environment, with an instructor. I'm sure there are other out there are just like me in this situation. And there will be others who read this, and can understand it right away or after a few reads.

I appreciate your time and effort to help me.(And others)
:D

Well this form of tutorial is basically the best way to be able to virtually teach something with words. I did whatever I could and there's still one more thing I can offer you and that is just talking with you on msn to try to teach you all the things you need to know AS you read this tut. As in you can ask me questions per chapter subchapter whatever. But I won't be 24/7 available lol.

A question to everybody; does anybody, after I finish the last chapters, want me to make a 20 question, or something like that, quiz? You would send your awnsers to me by email or PM (prefer not PM stupid inbox gets full too easily) and I would reply to you with a score, feedback per questions and what you should take a look at again in this tutorial?
I just view this as another thing I could do to enhance the virtual learning experience next to the MS based examples and live support and discussing on RaGEZONE itself.

@Osiris, well if it's just chars it honestly isn't even worth mentioning in the tut but will still do it. :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well this form of tutorial is basically the best way to be able to virtually teach something with words. I did whatever I could and there's still one more thing I can offer you and that is just talking with you on msn to try to teach you all the things you need to know AS you read this tut. As in you can ask me questions per chapter subchapter whatever. But I won't be 24/7 available lol.

A question to everybody; does anybody, after I finish the last chapters, want me to make a 20 question, or something like that, quiz? You would send your awnsers to me by email or PM (prefer not PM stupid inbox gets full too easily) and I would reply to you with a score, feedback per questions and what you should take a look at again in this tutorial?
I just view this as another thing I could do to enhance the virtual learning experience next to the MS based examples and live support and discussing on RaGEZONE itself.

@Osiris, well if it's just chars it honestly isn't even worth mentioning in the tut but will still do it. :)

I would love a quiz. :D

Reaction score
only if you get a value of the enum.

How else would you "use" an enum for a switch case?

Anyways since I have not yet added interfaces and enums to the tutorial better not start about it yet so may I request to keep it out of this thread for now?
Thanks for the addition to the inputs with which switch can work with though both of you :).

High Society
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thing but It was very hard to follow. I would say this would help people with a little backround knowledge of Java.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Great tutorial. My friend learned off of this, and he became super good with Java, probably better then me at it ( since my main focus is commands and NPC's ;P ), thanks for the tutorial, I hope a lot of people use it in the future.

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thing but It was very hard to follow. I would say this would help people with a little backround knowledge of Java.

I happen to disagree with you, the tutorial is one continious story which isn't hard to follow at all. Next to that this tutorial explains this "background knowledge of java" you talk about.

The reason you say that is because the tutorial contains alot of definitions which you really need to remember to be able to understand what the next chapters are explaining. Repeating and practicing provides a result.

Great tutorial. My friend learned off of this, and he became super good with Java, probably better then me at it ( since my main focus is commands and NPC's ;P ), thanks for the tutorial, I hope a lot of people use it in the future.

Ask your friend how he learned off of this. I am curious to what kind of approach he took.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The approach he took was he started off with basic Javascripts, you know, like NPC's. He used that experience and input it with this tutorial, thus getting a great coder in some sort of way. I didn't really watch him, he just found this thread himself. He doesn't have a user since he's mostly a leecher at tutorials ( Yes, I just made that up ).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
PHP:
} finally {
            System.out.print("Nullpointer erection??\r\n");
        }

LMFAOO, wow. Nice guide. I thought I understood a bit about java till I read this. Now when I'm stuck using netbeans, I know where to find the answer -winkwink

Back