Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Tut] Basic Java (with MapleStory-based examples)

I'm sexy and I know it :)
Reaction score
The approach he took was he started off with basic Javascripts, you know, like NPC's. He used that experience and input it with this tutorial, thus getting a great coder in some sort of way. I didn't really watch him, he just found this thread himself. He doesn't have a user since he's mostly a leecher at tutorials ( Yes, I just made that up ).

So basically all he knew was how to open brackets and close them, copy paste the beginning part of the npc and apply npcconversationmanager commands he knew by head?
That shouldn't really have helped him to be able to follow this tutorial at all since I explain the java structure and rules early in the tut.
Btw, I don't believe in such things as leeching at tutorials.
Tutorials teach people stuff, not spoonfeed them.

LMFAOO, wow. Nice guide. I thought I understood a bit about java till I read this. Now when I'm stuck using netbeans, I know where to find the answer -winkwink

Oh you are the first one to mention that lol, there's another funny thing in the examples. One which clarifies my true love for a person. :love:

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So basically all he knew was how to open brackets and close them, copy paste the beginning part of the npc and apply npcconversationmanager commands he knew by head?
That shouldn't really have helped him to be able to follow this tutorial at all since I explain the java structure and rules early in the tut.
Btw, I don't believe in such things as leeching at tutorials.
Tutorials teach people stuff, not spoonfeed them.

Oh you are the first one to mention that lol, there's another funny thing in the examples. One which clarifies my true love for a person. :love:

Lolwhat? I said he used his brain, if you can't read. He didn't leech it off if your blind. He used his previous experience and used it with this. How the hell does that conclude to Copy and pasting?

Reaction score
In JDK7, you can do multi-catching with exceptions as well.
Code:
try {
} catch (NoSuchAlgorithmException | NoSuchPaddingException | InvalidKeyException e) {
}

Nice guide Deagy. <3

may web.very maple.pls.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Bump deagan's thread :]

for Zygon: I never knew this, nice tip, but is there any performance difference from multi-catching or catching single, or any efficient improvement?
In JDK7, you can do multi-catching with exceptions as well.
Code:
try {
} catch (NoSuchAlgorithmException | NoSuchPaddingException | InvalidKeyException e) {
}

Nice guide Deagy. <3

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You should also add a section for Debugging. It's the thing I can't figure out how to do, whether it be with netbeans or eclipse. :/

Reaction score
You should also add a section for Debugging. It's the thing I can't figure out how to do, whether it be with netbeans or eclipse. :/

Debugging is applying all this knowledge I provide in this tutorial to fix the bugs that are in existence in public sources.
The only thing I could elaborately describe is the way to track bugs; which is adding printstacktraces or personal dropmessages at alot of places in the java code to find out where the error came from.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Debugging is applying all this knowledge I provide in this tutorial to fix the bugs that are in existence in public sources.
The only thing I could elaborately describe is the way to track bugs; which is adding printstacktraces or personal dropmessages at alot of places in the java code to find out where the error came from.

I'm talking of running ChannelServer through de-bug mode so that you can make source adjustments without compiling.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
This is excellent. Everything I like to see in a tutorial. Informative and entertaining. Good job Deagan.

I actually have a beginner java book in pdf form, and if anyone would like it (Its actually pretty informative), then they can PM me.

Reaction score
I'm talking of running ChannelServer through de-bug mode so that you can make source adjustments without compiling.

Well you could check this out sometime, but I don't consider that to be part of basic java knowledge.

This is excellent. Everything I like to see in a tutorial. Informative and entertaining. Good job Deagan.

I actually have a beginner java book in pdf form, and if anyone would like it (Its actually pretty informative), then they can PM me.

Thanks.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Great tutorial. It'll really help the RaGEZONE community, that is, if they aren't lazy enough to read it.

Reaction score
Great tutorial. It'll really help the RaGEZONE community, that is, if they aren't lazy enough to read it.

Well, what I had planned for this tutorial didn't go up.
I really wished to see a custom system on RaGEZONE around this tutorial. For example, a simple test for the members of the community to know what they are talking about.

This all would be applied in the releases and help section; people could refer to chapters of this tutorial which you are ought to know before using it/replying.

Or just having this being stickied. Osiris, my honey <333, I take back what I said and I would actually very much appreciate this being stickied. :eek:tt:

8===D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Very good and well put guide Deagan! I hope to see more added to this wonderful guide! Keep it up.

Reaction score
Very good and well put guide Deagan! I hope to see more added to this wonderful guide! Keep it up.

I am busy with my final year of high school.
I really appreciate the things alot of people have said about this tutorial in many threads such as the iAkira rage about the section dying.
Hoping the tutorial will continue to be looked at or somewhere near the first page in the future so that as many people as possible can get knowledge out of it.

Oh and I still have a secret relationship with Osiris :).

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
This Is beautiful, I cried after reading it all, Because I wanted to re-learn how to code, and this was/is a great help. Thank you Sir. (is it cool if I downloaded this page? not to share or anything but just for me?)

Reaction score
This Is beautiful, I cried after reading it all, Because I wanted to re-learn how to code, and this was/is a great help. Thank you Sir. (is it cool if I downloaded this page? not to share or anything but just for me?)

You can do anything with it you'd like!
Just when you decide to release it somewhere else, please do provide credits.

But wait, you cried?

Back