Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Updating a Server from One Version to Another [Updated]

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Re: Updating a Server from One Version to Another [Wall of Text/Unfinished]

If that doesn't match the amount of mesos you dropped, keep going. Keep going until the end and if none of the ints match the amount of mesos you dropped, you have the wrong packet

I found mine were the last 4 bytes, not the first. The words made it sound like you need to start at the first, so maybe state it could be any order?

Reaction score

I found mine were the last 4 bytes, not the first. The words made it sound like you need to start at the first, so maybe state it could be any order?

Yeah well try starting in the middle for a random packet that's like 9k long. That's what I'm going at.

Anyways, part 2 added and guide part II is complete.

Part 3 will be for packet editing and I'll see if I can do something about room if I run out. Pictures to come soon too.

Last edited:
may web.very maple.pls.
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Yeah well try starting in the middle for a random packet that's like 9k long. That's what I'm going at.

Anyways, part 2 added and guide part II is complete.

Part 3 will be for packet editing and I'll see if I can do something about room if I run out. Pictures to come soon too.
Lmao never saw the difference in the writeAsciiString and the other one lmao anyways thanks for the second guide, I also do ask a few packet help to one very individual person (Expedia) he told me there was a lot of packet changes from v.97 to v.99. Also it took awhile for me to get the warptomap thingy(little help on delphims) I have a question though, I remember before that other ppl beside the first person login couldn't login to the server, in other words if one players one and another logins they dc, which send packet would that be I've only updated the warp_to_map and the spawn_player methods, would appreciate it.

Reaction score

Lmao never saw the difference in the writeAsciiString and the other one lmao anyways thanks for the second guide, I also do ask a few packet help to one very individual person (Expedia) he told me there was a lot of packet changes from v.97 to v.99. Also it took awhile for me to get the warptomap thingy(little help on delphims) I have a question though, I remember before that other ppl beside the first person login couldn't login to the server, in other words if one players one and another logins they dc, which send packet would that be I've only updated the warp_to_map and the spawn_player methods, would appreciate it.

Error38Handler is the answer.

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Woah, Nice guide, I'm going to read all of it tomorrow.
Nice work putting it all together. Really helps everyone who can't update versions.

Edit: Is there a way to sniff proper packets for v83, or do I have to take a educated guess? Cause I rather work on my v83 and make it stable, then update if needed.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Error38Handler is the answer.
I love you so much <3
Is this one send on startup? Or when you get the error?

And got more info about the skill addition (timeless and reverse items).

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

@Above,
Like what? I got most packets already ><

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
My eye hurtss loooool but i shall have learned something today :)
Can't w8 for part 3 and picture guide (step closer to java haha)

Reaction score
I'm going to start adding pictures tomorrow. Currently 2 pictures are up for testing (good that tinypic works!). I think I"m limited to around 10 pictures per section so I'll try to make them useful pictures.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I think I'm missing something (probably my brain), but how did you got 0x37 for GENERAL_CHAT? I always get 0x3F :eek:. And I see you got that too in the screenshot.
Can you tell me please because I don't really understand.

FutureLegend's Owner
Reaction score
TOO MUCH INFORMATION!
OMGZOMGHAX BRAINFREEZE!
Ontopic:
Thank you for this.

Reaction score
I think I'm missing something (probably my brain), but how did you got 0x37 for GENERAL_CHAT? I always get 0x3F :eek:. And I see you got that too in the screenshot.
Can you tell me please because I don't really understand.

That's probably my mistake and was actually v98. Either that or I remembered wrong. I update a number of opcodes per version and get them mixed up sometimes. You're right though, the stuff needs major editing. The first version of the guide posted is still in progress.

Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lol, I read this guide twice already (yes, all of it to make sure I didn't miss anything).

Moogra, if it isn't too much trouble, could you make a downloadable version?
Also, could you elaborate on SeekableLittleEndianAccessor's skip method a bit more?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
That's probably my mistake and was actually v98. Either that or I remembered wrong. I update a number of opcodes per version and get them mixed up sometimes. You're right though, the stuff needs major editing. The first version of the guide posted is still in progress.

Oh okay, take your time. And just a suggestion: Can you please categorize some important packets? Like which ones are really important to be updated and which ones not. And a question: If I update one packet lets say: action1 to 0x01 and another (not updated) action uses the same packet may it cause any problem?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Why would my MapleShark not log getHello packet?

Reaction score
Oh okay, take your time. And just a suggestion: Can you please categorize some important packets? Like which ones are really important to be updated and which ones not. And a question: If I update one packet lets say: action1 to 0x01 and another (not updated) action uses the same packet may it cause any problem?

It might. Sometimes you can get lucky though. Packets can get tricky sometimes because of that.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
to test if the packets work would you need to test it on the previous wz and localhost files or would you need to do it on the updated packets version? sorry i'm kind of new to this

Back