Anyone done a docker image yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MemberRank
    Dec 2014 Join Date
    101Posts

Hello, I did do a search but I was surprised that no one has released a docker image yet. I'm planning to work on one this upcoming weekend. Has anyone attempted it yet? Any issues you ran into or would expect? I'm still a docker noob but I've built a few smaller containers for work, so I figure if no one else has done it, I will. Docker is so much easier than messing with VMs.

True MemberRank
    May 2011 Join Date
    412Posts

Re: Anyone done a docker image yet?

certainly docker is easier and also lighter than messing with Vm's. However I believe that no one had the will to test this, I myself use my applications and websites in a docker container and even the SQL server I use in the docker

MemberRank
    Oct 2019 Join Date
    142Posts

I've been using docker for a year and a half now and it works great.
    Unfortunately, now there is no time to prepare a release, but I was planning to release here a completely finished repack based on docker with additional functionality after the New Year - I hope that I will have time to do this during the holidays.
    By the way, Centos 8 seems to have a similar functionality (without a docker). If someone decides to do this earlier, it seems to me that this option would be preferable.

True MemberRank
    Feb 2010 Join Date
    1,437Posts

True MemberRank
    Jul 2011 Join Date
    /var/log/cabalLocation
    726Posts

I'm finished a "running" one but for me was totally instable.. (I'm totally beginner with Docker so 100% sure it's my fault was.)
    Maybe in next months i give another shot with centos 8, but the most of packages need some replacement..
    RED

True MemberRank
    Jun 2009 Join Date
    127.0.0.1Location
    695Posts

Good idea for a weekend project. I will give it a try!
    ** Web developer **

True MemberRank
    Feb 2010 Join Date
    1,437Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PwrDex View Post
    I'm finished a "running" one but for me was totally instable.. (I'm totally beginner with Docker so 100% sure it's my fault was.)
    Maybe in next months i give another shot with centos 8, but the most of packages need some replacement..
    The point is to not use centos, docker images should be slim, which centos isn't.

MemberRank
    Apr 2012 Join Date
    BrazilLocation
    61Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PunkS7yle View Post
    The point is to not use centos, docker images should be slim, which centos isn't.
    afaik every docker image has an OS behind it.. it can be centos, debian, ubuntu. etc..

True MemberRank
    Feb 2010 Join Date
    1,437Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niicke View Post
    afaik every docker image has an OS behind it.. it can be centos, debian, ubuntu. etc..
    Riveting take.

MemberRank
    Jun 2012 Join Date
    Taboão da SerrLocation
    14Posts

I trying change vm to docker, but docker image have a problem with centos 7 version, need a workaround to work systemctl into docker.

MemberRank
    Dec 2016 Join Date
    127.0.0.1Location
    48Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Davidsonhr1 View Post
    I trying change vm to docker, but docker image have a problem with centos 7 version, need a workaround to work systemctl into docker.
    Would suggest you read into what Docker is and what it's actually for. There's a reason systemctl and similar things don't work out-of-the-box and are not suggested to be used. (It goes against the point of docker.)
    Discord: atom0s#0001 - If someone claims to be me and attempts to sell you something, it's not me. Always check the user id!

MemberRank
    Jun 2012 Join Date
    Taboão da SerrLocation
    14Posts

Yes, yes i not saying that docker is bad, but not work good for this scenario,
    was designed for other purposes.

True MemberRank
    Feb 2010 Join Date
    1,437Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Davidsonhr1 View Post
    Yes, yes i not saying that docker is bad, but not work good for this scenario,
    was designed for other purposes.
    Docker is fine, just don't use Centos.

MemberRank
    Dec 2016 Join Date
    127.0.0.1Location
    48Posts

Using CentOS is fine; the whole mindset that its huge/bloated/bad is just people not understanding how to use Linux and not understanding how Docker works.

For those interested in using Docker, I would suggest you read up on what it is, how it works, what its for and then look at your setup and see if it actually falls into its purpose. In probably 99.9% of cases on the people running the public/leaked CABALs files, it wont. If you are just hosting a single server, running all the files on the same machine is already more than enough. Adding docker containers to the mix is just adding bloat to your setup for no benefit or reason.

If you cluster your servers (ie. running channels on different servers/VMs) or wish to isolate the servers for any real reason, then Docker can be useful. Along with being able to on-the-fly spin up additional channels via a load balancer or similar.

If your goal is simply to run each of the servers in their own container, you are just wasting resources for no reason and with no benefit at all.
    Discord: atom0s#0001 - If someone claims to be me and attempts to sell you something, it's not me. Always check the user id!

True MemberRank
    Feb 2010 Join Date
    1,437Posts

The point of Docker is to easily port an environment(prevent IWOMM) and quickly deploy it (the reasons are left up to you), huge images(I consider anything over 1 gig huge) go against that point.

EDIT: I have just checked and it looks like centos offers slimmed down docker images as well, they're still way bigger than alpine but its still only adding ~100 mb, so it's fine to use.
    Last edited by PunkS7yle; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advertisement