Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

IMPORTANY MySQL BUG

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
When i downloaded and install the MySQL express editon it made my computer constantly restart!

now i got 80GB on my pc and all my stuff is up to day so this should not happen

it took me 2hours to fking fix this cause i had to do "safe mode"

now chumpy please explain to me why this would happen cause i am very unhappy

Last edited:
The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
To be honest i'm not sure. I can find a few similar things googling the problem but nothing that really tells me why it happened.

My best guess is that it installed something like .net or the MS XML 6 which needed a reboot to finish the install because some files were in use and after the reboot they were still in use so it kept rebooting to try again. Have a look in the folder below and see if it left it's log behind as it might give a clue.
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt

If you have a 64-bit OS it will be in the "Program Files (x86)" path instead.

The express installer does a few thing the other editions don't do and i have never really like it to be honest. I have seen it completely destroy .net more than once and i have even seen it fail to install because XML 6 was already installed and it couldn't handle skipping that part for some reason. Why they made the express installer so bad i don't know but it is the exact reason i never shared my silent install+configure method as if it went wrong it would look like my fault when it is actually the installer's.

The only other thing i can suggest without knowing what caused it is to try a non-express edition as the installer is far better and doesn't trip over simple problems like the express one does. You should be able to get a free 180 day trial from the microsoft site or maybe a naughty copy from somewhere. The MSSQL 2000 installer doesn't require .net or any of the other stuff bundled with express and is even less likely to do odd things. There is no free version of 2000 so evaluation or naughty copies are the only choice there.

EDIT: I just saw the screenshot ont he other topic. Try installing the latest Windows Installer 4.5 You want one of the downloads shown below depending in whether you have an x86 or x64 system (use x86 if not sure).

WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x86.exe
WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64.exe

Also make sure that the windows installer service (cntrol panel->admin tools->services) is actually started too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
To be honest i'm not sure. I can find a few similar things googling the problem but nothing that really tells me why it happened.

My best guess is that it installed something like .net or the MS XML 6 which needed a reboot to finish the install because some files were in use and after the reboot they were still in use so it kept rebooting to try again. Have a look in the folder below and see if it left it's log behind as it might give a clue.
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt

If you have a 64-bit OS it will be in the "Program Files (x86)" path instead.

The express installer does a few thing the other editions don't do and i have never really like it to be honest. I have seen it completely destroy .net more than once and i have even seen it fail to install because XML 6 was already installed and it couldn't handle skipping that part for some reason. Why they made the express installer so bad i don't know but it is the exact reason i never shared my silent install+configure method as if it went wrong it would look like my fault when it is actually the installer's.

The only other thing i can suggest without knowing what caused it is to try a non-express edition as the installer is far better and doesn't trip over simple problems like the express one does. You should be able to get a free 180 day trial from the microsoft site or maybe a naughty copy from somewhere. The MSSQL 2000 installer doesn't require .net or any of the other stuff bundled with express and is even less likely to do odd things. There is no free version of 2000 so evaluation or naughty copies are the only choice there.

EDIT: I just saw the screenshot ont he other topic. Try installing the latest Windows Installer 4.5 You want one of the downloads shown below depending in whether you have an x86 or x64 system (use x86 if not sure).

Also make sure that the windows installer service (cntrol panel->admin tools->services) is actually started too.

Oh just incase MSSQL 2000 does not work could i use navicat-mysql.
And could you please post the link for the MySQL 2000 cause i dont know which link it is on the microsoft site cause they have like 10 of them o_O

When i tryed to run WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64.exe it came up with an error

Errors i got:
--------------------------------------
"Update.exe is not a valid win32 application"

======================================

The Version of windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install.

Also how do i convert the .002 and .003 files they don't get detected from the hjsplit program. and i tryed 7zip and its confusing

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back