Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

A message to future server owners

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
We don't want to download a 1gb Cabal client, for every server we play. Even a 200mb patch is a pain in the butt.

Really, keep the downloads under 100mb, the rest isnt necessary unless your server has alot of custom stuff (which none of them do)

Reaction score
hard to be avoided at the moment. episode differences make patches a pain. were in the process of mastering the server side, and we want to avoid more pain by isolating exact client files to make a small patch.

my advice: use a download accelerator and download from a site that supports auto resume. rather than request server owners to make tiny patches in which a tiny missing file for some, or large file for those who have episode differences could result in an unnecessary hassle.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Speed of download dont matter, its just that it goes towards my quota.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
why other should claw concern another problems?

4ever Alone = my religion
Reaction score
Why would anyone make 100mb patches if you can easily make a simple max 20mb patch if you want it also to be english...

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have been around private server comminuties for a long while now (i used to be very well known as a client modder and hexer in the eAthena community) and all i can say is good luck trying to get the idea to work.

If you can safely assume that every person who will use your patch has a fully updated and clean client (i.e. not tainted by 50 other private server patches, most that were badly made) then you will be ok but this doesn't happen. What you are usually dealing with is a complete muppet who has no idea what client version they have, whether it is updated or not and what garbage they have in it from other private server patches. This always leads to major headaches for the server operator as they try getting the big pile of mess to work.

On top of this players don't really like the whole idea of patches as the instructions usually say you have to have a specific client installed (link usually given), then the patch on top and people think "well, i have Cabal installed already so why?". It is simply too much messing around for people who are usually too lazy to click more than one link or use their brain when installing the client.

One standalone client with everything in it solves all of those problems in one hit and the only real problem is with people who have slower connections or low transfer quotas on their internet. Patches really only cater for those people and those people are generally the monority. Ever server i haev ever operated i have been asked for 1-click clients that don't involve any messing around and i have no intention of ever messing around with "server patches" because they are more trouble than they are worth.

Back