Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Question: Legality of hosting Cabal Server

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Hi all.. i have a question..how much legal is to use this server?We have rights to sell premium accounts and items,or we must use donation policy for get money..So is legal or not cause i want invest something like 2000 euro for start a cabal server.thanx in advance

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Its illegal to even run the server, collection of money from players is no different, the owners of Cabal will still take the same action on you :)

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
ok so what i must do to run a cabal server..as i told i want invest some money..i want buy a dedicated server with Intel Quad core and 8 GB of ram...i want make a contract with a internet provider for a bandwidth larger than 10 MBs..and if EStSoft getting mad on me they can destroy my server in 1 minute...is this thrue?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
no they don't destroy it but you CAN go to Jail for Stealing they work...

4ever Alone = my religion
Reaction score
They can do anything what they want with you (For example sue you for a compensation 1 million $) that is if you're living in the country's where they are hosting their servers, but for the other country's I think they have none or some minimal power to do something...atleast I'm living in the country where no one has even made a game larger than 100mb. ^^

Edit: Oh by the way: Who needs a Cabal Online Launcher with auto update function (Made in VB.Net)?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
They may take notice and nudge it off, but unless you make significant change in their income an/or player count they shouldn't do much considering it would cost them alot to actually do anything, don't get me wrong they will warn some people but on a whole most server owners will be fine.

Reaction score
There arent many private servers, so they can easiliy take down all the private servers that currently are and charge the owners. But as I said if the server owner is not in the country which they are hosting their servers, they cant do nothing about it. Cause in the country's they are hosting the servers, everything is copyrighted and is defended by the goverment of the country where they host the servers. But in other country's the copyrights have no power, well not in case if the Cabal is copyrighted worldwide, then they can also do something with you, but not that much.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
ok i live in Roumania..The mother of Corruption and illegality..so i can stay relax right?:busted_co

EDIT: I think they wont move a finger to do something exactly like k2n with mu online...the original servers are full and day by day more people start playing cabal..and if they start close private servers..their servers will be full and im sure is not good for them...cause lag and other bad things..

Reaction score
ok i live in Roumania..The mother of Corruption and illegality..so i can stay relax right?:busted_co

EDIT: I think they wont move a finger to do something exactly like k2n with mu online...the original servers are full and day by day more people start playing cabal..and if they start close private servers..their servers will be full and im sure is not good for them...cause lag and other bad things..

Well you can stay relaxed for about 99%! :busted_co
K2 Network, can't do anything cause they have no resources nor that much money to pay for all the sueing, cause have you counted all the MuOnline private servers? Well you wont count them, cause they are more than 5000 for sure. But Cabal servers are about 20 max that are available for public.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yep, and they do have enough money, they make millions a year, fact is they wont waste it on private servers.

And they will still have all the players who pay etc, and what nano said is completely right with the no resources in romania, i looked it up ^^

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
There may not be a law against it in your country but that means nothing. The law that applies in the law in the country the server is located in is the one that counts.

I doubt est will go after people the legal way as it costs too much nd it isn't necessary. All they need to do is lodge a complaint with the company hosting the server and most companies will simply kill your account and take the server away regardless of the law rather than risk further action. Admittedly some won't but don't assume that you will be safe because stolen software is not against the law in your country or est have to resources there. Far too many private servers have been killed because of that assumption.

The Aegis team (the stolen Ragnarok online server) got chased around the world by Gravity and has so many servers taken down it wasn't funny. They ended up hosted in Russia after a lot of drama.

The eAthena team (the open source emulator for ragnarok which isn't illegal as they wrote it themselves) also got a lot of crap from gravity but their law suits were thrown out of court and they couldn't do anything simply because the code was not illegal.

The Dinosaur
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you host it on your own PC then hopefully your ISP won't react badly to threats as running an illegal server is probably worse than filesharing. In the UK i know i could get booted from my ISP completely and face large fines for nothing more than having a TV theme tune shared from my home PC (a Cabal server could probably land me in jail given how things work here these days), other countries are pobably not as bad though.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
You cant goto jail. Its a worse offence if your hosting it on your home pc.

They will only threaten to sue at first, and wont actually sue you if you take down your server.

If you dont want to get sued, then dont own a server, simple!

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
ok..i understand..however any ISP from here have no bussines what you do with you IP...they dont care...they care only to take money from you.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
if you only have less than 10 or can be counted on your fingers cabal private server in your country, then it will not be easy to host it, on shops, home or even dedicated. wait till you get about a hundreds or more private servers in your country or all around the world and it will be a pain in the butt for the official ones to take charge due to high cost and extradition. if not then your private server will be a gonner in days after you deployed it. not to mention those players that will not be satisfied on your game rules and will post your private server as illegal on official servers forum (dumb kids). to be safe, make it really 'private'....making it online can be two things .. private and public.. which one is your plan?

Back