Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Discussion] GW2 Ripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has fiddled around with model ripping from Guild Wars 2? It's a great game, and they have so many awesome world objects and monsters that could be used in map creation for Flyff. All of their files are located in a single .dat file, and it appears someone already made a converter and . You can also obviously just use 3dRipper, but that's just a pain.

Banana
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Guild Wars 2 models do not fit in Flyff. They are vastly aesthetically different. Just because a game can be ripped or converted into Flyff formats, doesn't mean it should.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Guild Wars 2 models do not fit in Flyff. They are vastly aesthetically different. Just because a game can be ripped or converted into Flyff formats, doesn't mean it should.

The same could be said for WoW models... None of those weapons fit in the game but people still do it so they can fill up their cash shops haha. Plus you can't tell me that none of the models from GW2 would look good in Flyff. Half of the game looks like it's out of an anime.

Banana
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The same could be said for WoW models... None of those weapons fit in the game but people still do it so they can fill up their cash shops haha. Plus you can't tell me that none of the models from GW2 would look good in Flyff. Half of the game looks like it's out of an anime.

The models look good in GW2 already. They won't look half as good in Flyff, nor would they come close to matching the game's style. WoW doesn't really match Flyff either, but they come a lot closer than GW2 does.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The models look good in GW2 already. They won't look half as good in Flyff, nor would they come close to matching the game's style. WoW doesn't really match Flyff either, but they come a lot closer than GW2 does.
I still don't see your point. They're still models and they're still free weapons anyone can add to their server soooo easily. Isn't the whole point of this private server scene to milk the money out of all the people who want high statted items? They could care less what they look like...

Banana
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I still don't see your point. They're still models and they're still free weapons anyone can add to their server soooo easily. Isn't the whole point of this private server scene to milk the money out of all the people who want high statted items? They could care less what they look like...

The last two sentences I wrote in my previous post were my points. Additionally, if players couldn't care less about the appearance of a server's models and weapons, then there's no necessity to utilize any graphical content from other games in the first place. By that logic, players on Flyff servers will be content with recycled eFlyff graphical content.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The last two sentences I wrote in my previous post were my points. Additionally, if players couldn't care less about the appearance of a server's models and weapons, then there's no necessity to utilize any graphical content from other games in the first place. By that logic, players on Flyff servers will be content with recycled eFlyff graphical content.

Whatever. I was trying to have a nice discussion and try to get people interested in this baron community. No wonder nobody posts in this section anymore.

Banana
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Whatever. I was trying to have a nice discussion and try to get people interested in this baron community. No wonder nobody posts in this section anymore.

People don't post in this section as often as the past for multiple reasons, one being that most developers have quit or dedicated themselves to a server, another being that eFlyff has not released any official updates in a long time. There are other reasons that I can continue listing if you'd like, but I doubt one of them is a moderator disliking one development idea.

If you want people to get interested in this community, do something unique or worthwhile that hasn't been done before or improves development. Here's an example of something that's been done recently that deserves attention and respect:

https://forum.ragezone.com/f457/atools-v1-0-world-sfx-1057967/

As a full remake of eFlyffs buggy and badly written tools, they assist developers greatly in fields such as 3D development, map development, programmers and more. Projects and releases like this help the community, not more ripped content from other games.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
People don't post in this section as often as the past for multiple reasons, one being that most developers have quit or dedicated themselves to a server, another being that eFlyff has not released any official updates in a long time. There are other reasons that I can continue listing if you'd like, but I doubt one of them is a moderator disliking one development idea.

If you want people to get interested in this community, do something unique or worthwhile that hasn't been done before or improves development. Here's an example of something that's been done recently that deserves attention and respect:

https://forum.ragezone.com/f457/atools-v1-0-world-sfx-1057967/

As a full remake of eFlyffs buggy and badly written tools, they assist developers greatly in fields such as 3D development, map development, programmers and more. Projects and releases like this help the community, not more ripped content from other games.

Okay sure, a lot of the people have either left because they need to get on with their lives or they are dedicated to something else, I will give you that, but that doesn't mean new people like me don't come to the community each and every day. I feel that as a section moderator, someone who should be looked up to and respected, should cherish and influence the new people, like me, to try different development ideas, even if they don't suit your extremely particular interests.

The fact that you of all people shut down an idea that could have potential in this section, whether it be worthless aesthetic world objects or some new items for leechers to add to their server for free cash shop items, is stupid. You're not influencing any type of new development that way... and then you come around and say "here's a worth while release... something that improves development" as if creating tools like that is the only way to improve the community. Who are you to deem any type of development worthy or unworthy as if this is your kingdom?

All it takes is a "That sounds interesting... You should try it and post some screenshots" .. or .. "Hey, I like this idea, someone should look into this." I'm sure you've lied through your teeth plenty of times on this message board, why not do it again and avoid the flame wars?

Banana
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Let me just make this clear. I shared my opinion regarding the mass conversion of models and assets from Guild Wars 2 into Flyff because both games are aesthetically different. I did not speak for the conversion of all games, just Guild Wars 2.

I feel that as a section moderator, someone who should be looked up to and respected, should cherish and influence the new people, like me, to try different development ideas, even if they don't suit your extremely particular interests.

I can share my opinion regarding model conversion from a game I don't believe matches Flyff aesthetically. My post in one topic does not speak for my opinions on other aspects or fields of development, nor does it mean I oppose development as a whole, which I don't.

This doesn't mean I oppose model conversion from other games, I just don't see Guild Wars 2 as a candidate. There are many other games out there that fit Flyff's cartoon style.

The fact that you of all people shut down an idea that could have potential in this section, whether it be worthless aesthetic world objects or some new items for leechers to add to their server for free cash shop items, is stupid.

I can oppose those things. They're usually low quality releases. However, I don't think a Guild Wars 2 conversion project would equate to those types of releases though. It would be a major project and multiple developers would utilize the release, although poorly as the graphical differences are vast.

You're not influencing any type of new development that way... and then you come around and say "here's a worth while release... something that improves development" as if creating tools like that is the only way to improve the community.

ATools is a worthwhile release because it provides extremely useful tools for multiple development fields. The conversion of a game similar to Flyff that provides multiple models and assets would be a useful project as well. Again, I only opposed conversion of Guild Wars 2 models into Flyff, not other games.

Who are you to deem any type of development worthy or unworthy as if this is your kingdom?

Okay.

All it takes is a "That sounds interesting... You should try it and post some screenshots" .. or .. "Hey, I like this idea, someone should look into this."

It doesn't sound interesting to me because it's a very easy project and would flood the community with Guild Wars 2 themed maps that don't match Flyff at all and affect map quality drastically. I'd like to see decent to high quality maps that fit Flyff and don't utilize new models just because they exist. The map community already has an issue with that regarding World of Warcraft models. Converting another game might be interesting though.

I'm sure you've lied through your teeth plenty of times on this message board, why not do it again and avoid the flame wars?

There's no need to attack me personally. I'd like for this topic and conversation to stay civil. If you have an unrelated problem with me, feel free to message me and I'll gladly discuss anything with you in private.

Ace of Hearts
Reaction score
A little bit of clarity, ripping models is not

that aside if you are just looking for model assets, whatever the game, chances are trying to get into their resource files unless you are after animations is more trouble than it is worth, a lot more work, and more importantly knowledge is required to just get in much less make use of their possibly custom formats.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i'd have to agree with Adler GW2 is too graphically different to fit flyff there are a lot of games out there that would work better but taking the time to rip and rig the models is a drag [speaking from experience.] if you want to rip ,convert and release them go for it i'm sure people will use them whether or not they are aesthetically compatible. but don't expect anyone here to just do it because we can, especially if you start insulting peoples character for expressing their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back