Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MySQL or MSSQL - more inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
~FlyFF DeV~
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought a bit about it and I'm not sure but is there possibility that flyff server would be faster with mysql than with mssql or not.

Please reply and say why you think that database is better.

Thanks to everyone who post and help me to make it in my mind.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Performance wise MsSQL and MySQL are almost exactly the same. You should never have so many connections pr seconds to any SQL server to slow it down, it should be managed in the code to cache and only save to SQL every few minutes. I know one of the reason allot of people prefer MsSQL is because the management tools where better but I personally like the new MySQL developer tools better. So really its personal preference.

~FlyFF DeV~
Reaction score
well also mssql slows computer like hell ....

[R8]ℓσℓ32
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You can't compare mysql with mssql.
Mysql gets really overloaded with 700+ connections at once, that's why you wont be able to host a flyff server with a lot people using mysql.

I think you only can compare SQL Server with Oracle.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I always say; MySQL for web development. MsSQL for game development. Seems to have worked fine for me since I've done that.\

~FlyFF DeV~
Reaction score
Mysql gets really overloaded with 700+ connections at once, that's why you wont be able to host a flyff server with a lot people using mysql.

hmmm nice advice but aren't all the things done by server programs as 1 user - i mean database server connects and does 700 things as 1 user not 1 thing as every user connected am I not right hmm?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Not working on UnitedFlyf
Loyal Member
Reaction score

MySQL can support a lot of players in a game server(look at WoW emulators), but the costs are high as it doesn't do as well with such huge databases as MSSQL does.

Anything made by M$ is a resource hog...

Yeah, because open source software isn't... Cough...APACHE...FIREFOX...(most poop made for Apple crap in general as well).

@topic:

The main reason you don't want to switch to MySQL is because it's already done in MSSQL... And done pretty well I might add aside from some unbinded/sanitized queries. If you want to switch to MySQL, you'll need to put at least 100hours into it if you include converting the database structures and stored procedures. Is that really worth it to reduce the memory usage slightly?(this is arguable as I believe MSSQL generally would use less memory in a production environment)

MSSQL isn't that much diff from MySQL, why not try improving the graphics engine rather than working on the database engine?

0xC0FFEE
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Only thing that sets MSSQL one step above MySQL is the better constructed procedure engine.
Speaking for server use that is.
MySQL has a "procedure" engine but it doesn't work nearly as well or as effeciently.

[R8]ℓσℓ32
Loyal Member
Reaction score
MySQL can support a lot of players in a game server(look at WoW emulators), but the costs are high as it doesn't do as well with such huge databases as MSSQL does.

Well, I didn't know about WoW, but the only server with high player count is Molten, and I doubt they are using a MySQL database.

I'm just telling my own experience with an old Gunz server, that with 700 players online server was lagged as hell and mysql was kinda fucked. I had to quickly edit to MsSQL to hold 2k players without any problem, but of course, not using the express version.

Not working on UnitedFlyf
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't know about WoW, but the only server with high player count is Molten, and I doubt they are using a MySQL database.

I'm just telling my own experience with an old Gunz server, that with 700 players online server was lagged as hell and mysql was kinda fucked. I had to quickly edit to MsSQL to hold 2k players without any problem, but of course, not using the express version.

They are using a MySQL database with MaNGOS core files modded for better performance. Each realm supports up to 3.5k concurrent users and they've totaled to over 20k without significant server lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back