Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

We have to Save the FlyFF Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Okay over the last few months the flyff community has had a massive decrease in popularity, i think it is time to change this.

To do so i think we need to do the following:
Make more interesting things for FlyFF and SHARE them for everyone to use.
Actually HELP in the HELP section without making people feel dump/stupid for not seeing something that is obvious (IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE).
If a guide is badly done, badly worded DON'T FLAME THE POSTER suggest ways for them to improve.
Make more releases of useful things even if they are small like a simple php edit to make a website more efficient and faster loading.
More stability help for people who don't know where to look to do it.
More Tutorials in standard English with images to add new systems.
Not being flamed for re-doing a post that may have been long forgotten or badly worded/done.
Willing to help anyone who needs it without being mean/hurtful.
Willing to improve things/suggest improvements without being demeaning.

Overall the FlyFF community has become a some what FAME session where everyone wants to point out all of the worst parts of the new exclusive things people have created, or even thought of, where as we should be encouraging improvements for those bad parts, or the help with the broken parts, badly coded areas and such, even simple web development now has been seen as FLAMEABLE by top web developers - YES IT MAY NOT BE TO YOUR LIKING BUT IT IS TO SOMEONE ELSE'S, and it will be just the stepping stone for a young developer.

I started development of FlyFF in Year 7 (UK Grading system i was 12/13) and now 5 years down the line i have exclusive knowledge of FlyFF, php(somewhat), html, css, a basic knowledge of C++ and can now use these in my day to day things to improve my servers website, know what people want/need in-game and so on. I chose FlyFF as a stepping stone as i saw great potential in the game (although it has faulted since its best time back in version 7 but recovered slightly) but without the help of how this FlyFF section use to be i wouldn't have the somewhat successful server i do today, whether it being how to edit the .txt files correctly in excel, how to add monsters/items/worlds to the game, all through to editing the source over the past year giving me the stepping stone i needed for my university course in the coming years, but in the past year i have seen the popularity of FlyFF server development diminish not because it has become uninteresting/harder to develop but mostly due to the FLAMING people have done making people not want to ask for help, or people not bothering to release half decent systems to add to the game, or even things as simple as how to add something to the game that might for one person seem easy to do, but to others who are LEARNING, it could be harder for them to understand first time round.

Even people who are thinking of new ideas for server, new emulators, editing old emulators or older released applications that are usable in FlyFF, like command tools, they're even getting hate for thinking of ideas that can better things, make it easier for newer people to FlyFF staff life - My server deals with taking people who have no experience on FlyFF as staff and make it so they have a chance to prove themselves as staff material, with training of course, but not many other server would even think of doing this as they see them as "NEWBS", but with this they can get more experience and get better with communities and make it onto the bigger servers with a chance, instead of no chance as if they had said they have no experience.

I am not asking for this to change over night, i am just asking who agrees with me, that this community has gotten to the point to where it is time to say enough! If something isn't done, you will see a average post of one per week soon, where people just won't bother to get help from this forum, or even any other forums for that matter as it won't be worth using if you are just going to receive hates from everyone.

If you think i am right then post, but if you are just going to HATE AND FLAME don't bother cause you know what you will just be proving my topic right, if you think i am wrong then say so, but say it in a way that isn't demeaning or hurtful/disrespectful as that is all the FlyFF section is all about now, a place for people who are trying to better themselves to only be let down by their peers and hurt in the process.

I am in no way aiming this at everyone in this section, BUT I KNOW FOR A FACT EVERYONE HERE HAS DONE AT LEAST ONE OF THE ABOVE ONCE - and yes i have FLAMED and got infractions for it, but no one is perfect but i don't flame at people for thinking up decent ideas or even bad ideas, i flame at people who are flaming and being disrespectful (mostly :laugh: ).

If we do at least 1 of the list i suggested we will improve the section, not a lot mind you, but at least it is progress.

Thanks for taking the time to read my extensive overview of the FlyFF server/community, i hope something will change and soon, otherwise FlyFF development will just DIE, and i am one who doesn't want this to happen as this game has great potential with all the great minds out there working with the source/websites/resouce/maps/2d/3d/anything to help improve the game in any way possible!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I know what you mean. A have a friend who has a Shaiya server (for years now) and he wants to add another game so he told to look into "Flyff". I came here trying to learn the basics of the game (never played it yet) and make a local server to see how it works, what can I do and what can't I. But I'm almost afraid to ask something 'cause the usual reply is "use google"...

Most tutorials here are from 2009 or so, many links are down already, most ppl put tutorials about setting up a server but they don't tell you what client they use.

After reading your post I ask you to:

-Make a new (2012) tutorial on how to set up a basic server.
-Release all files needed for that tutorial.
-Release the english client for that server (or at least a link to a client that you're sure it will work)
-Explain how and IF can we use another client for that server (or explain why we can NOT)
-If possible, explain how to use the current client (players wants new content).
-If someone ask you i.e: "how do I set up the database?" DOn't tell him "use google", answer him in the same post on who to do it.
-Keep your post clean, remove repetitive questions, keep it small.

I think that's what we (ppl who never made a Flyff server before) really need, to start learning.

Of course, all of this if and when you have the time to do it. You have a lot of experience with this game, ppl will be thankfull (are least most of us).

Editing the client, adding new content, etc. That's stuff we can learn later with the time. But the server (the basics), that's what we need a tutorial for.

/sorry for my english.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I would be happy to help in any way possible, as to all tutorials being from 2009, that is mostly because everyone now uses the flyff source ( the database will be the same from 2009 but if you really want to start a flyff server, now you will need to use the flyff source, there are a few good releases of sources, with a client and full server side info, like this one http://forum.ragezone.com/f724/tutorial-blessed-release-set-guide-838051/ full guide with great detail if you however still need help just give me a message and i will be willing to help with anything ( if i know how to that is :) )

The one thing i hate about big headed people who say SPOON FEEDING everything is bad, is that they probably learn the same way, unless you are SPOON FED knowledge you will never learn what everything does, it like at school, when you first learn to add number or write, they did it step by step telling you what to do any why, it is how the HUMAN race learns things

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
As i know, what ever you did is true, but LEARNING?
i learned how to make and mod my server when i was 12 y.o O.O ...
Pepols just never use they're mind to learn...
and the 'use google' idea is very bad? because google wiill tell you 'use mind' ...
About flamming, that's true, what ever you relase, you got a flame.
anyway, i hope that the FlyFF Community will be saved :D!!

i sell platypus
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If users cannot even comprehend the usage of a simple forum, then they will get pointed out for it some way or another.

There is going to be a clean up very soon once all moderators have agreed on everything. The section is getting a huge clean-up and what follows is an easier overview when it comes to moderation.

Not working on UnitedFlyf
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Excess pservers kill the game as a whole. I disagree with this topic, while it may help developers, it will not help players. The developer's goal should be to create a better gameplay environment. Learning by itself is good, but when you involve players in your learning, it ends up hurting them.

If you want to make the Flyff development community decent, then maybe you should stop releasing things and start discussing things more.

The one thing i hate about big headed people who say SPOON FEEDING everything is bad, is that they probably learn the same way, unless you are SPOON FED knowledge you will never learn what everything does, it like at school, when you first learn to add number or write, they did it step by step telling you what to do any why, it is how the HUMAN race learns things

This is completely wrong. If that is how humans learn, then I'm definitely not a human lol. Everyone learns differently, but if you cannot learn without being walked through a subject, then you will not get very far in life.

Learning things the hard way is better in the long run. For example:
You have two 13 year olds(X and Y), each wants to make a flyff private server.
X:
- You teach X how to do it step-by-step with a picture guide(some methods aren't very good).
- X learns how to make a flyff private server in a few hours.
- X makes a guide on RaGEZONE about how to make a private server with pictures as he was taught.
- People follow the guide, but do not learn beyond what is taught.

Y:
- You give Y a download link to some files and tell Y to do it without using any guides.
- Y takes a week to figure out how to make a private server because Y makes a lot of mistakes.
- Y learns from the mistakes and possibly figures out some better methods to use.
- Y discusses some of the methods he used with RaGEZONE.
- The community discusses the methods, which allows others to read and better themselves.
- Y will then have experience he needs to learn to do things by himself without others teaching him(spoon feeding).

The main issue with spoonfeeding is that it'll only go so far. It also halts development and regresses the community as a whole. While you may learn how to make a private server from a spoon fed guide, you will get farther if you make one yourself without any easy tutorials.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Spoon feeding things will make it worst instead of having a steady development community. Look what happened to Ragnarok, it has a lot of private servers out there and most of them are managed by Kids who only knows how to setup stuffs and not actually develop it for betterment.

Banana
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Okay over the last few months the flyff community has had a massive decrease in popularity, i think it is time to change this.

A small amount of inexperienced Flyff developers aren't going to save anything. The problem lies in the official server.

Even people who are thinking of new ideas for server, new emulators, editing old emulators or older released applications that are usable in FlyFF, like command tools, they're even getting hate for thinking of ideas that can better things, make it easier for newer people to FlyFF staff life - My server deals with taking people who have no experience on FlyFF as staff and make it so they have a chance to prove themselves as staff material, with training of course, but not many other server would even think of doing this as they see them as "NEWBS", but with this they can get more experience and get better with communities and make it onto the bigger servers with a chance, instead of no chance as if they had said they have no experience.

That's not true. The server I administrate, the #1 server in top listings, has brought in several staff members that show more motivation and trust than actual talent and knowledge, and they ended up being some of the highest ranking and most professional staff members of our team, with more knowledge and talent than most people on the scene. I'd know, I was one of them. Thinking of anybody as a "noob" is childish mentality and should be frowned upon as a whole.

I am not asking for this to change over night, i am just asking who agrees with me, that this community has gotten to the point to where it is time to say enough! If something isn't done, you will see a average post of one per week soon, where people just won't bother to get help from this forum, or even any other forums for that matter as it won't be worth using if you are just going to receive hates from everyone.

Something people don't realize is that there are two entirely separate communities in the private server scene. Those who share and care, and those who succeed. It's a sad truth people will have to face. Do you see Coca Cola handing out their secret recipe to Pepsi and Dr. Pepper? No. Why? Think about it. The same ideals go for private servers.

Thanks for taking the time to read my extensive overview of the FlyFF server/community, i hope something will change and soon, otherwise FlyFF development will just DIE, and i am one who doesn't want this to happen as this game has great potential with all the great minds out there working with the source/websites/resouce/maps/2d/3d/anything to help improve the game in any way possible!

Public Flyff development may die, but private development will continue onwards. Flyff itself is dying as a game, and most private servers bring absolutely nothing to the table. Almost every server steals from the top private server and officials, and leeches off of Ragezone instead of making anything original. If you want Flyff private servers to flourish, don't depend on public releases and sharing and caring. I know you own a server and which server it is, and if you want your server to be big, stop relying on public help and the community. Be 100% self sufficient. Make as many tools as possible. Hire the best developers you can find. The sad truth is that if eFlyff dies, so does this section. Only the most self sufficient private servers will continue to thrive and exist.

i sell platypus
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Conclusion of discussion: We can't have a reasonable discussion despite moderators allowing everyone voice their opinion regarding an issue that actually is in the section. Instead we chose to get childish and attack others and turn the discussion into an "x" server sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back