Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

And people said it wasn't possible...

Would you choose MySQL over MSSQL for your CABAL databases?

• Total voters
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, the other day I decided to actually do something with the CABAL server for a change (I haven't touched the official server files for quite a while). I was really bored, so I thought I'd take a look at the DB, in particular. I've always had this feeling that I could get MySQL working if I used the ODBC drivers, but I never tried. Everyone kept saying it wasn't possible, but I never quite believed this... So, I tried, and I succeeded :) It was simply a matter of installing mysql-server and mysql-connector-odbc on the CentOS machine, setting up a mysql account for the server, and manually changing a few configuration files. I set the CabalAccount SQL setup to use my newly-installed MySQL server, added an empty database, called it "ACCOUNT", then started up the CABAL server. Sure enough, I started getting errors about non-existant stored procedures in the GlobalDBAgent logs :) I then added some hardcoded versions of these stored procedures in the ACCOUNT DB that merely returned the required information (account number, login status, etc). Once this was done, I managed to log in and get to the character screen :D From this point on, CABAL was only using the GameDB database, so connecting to the world and everything else was working as it should be. Since then, I've been manually converting/rewriting and documenting the necessary stored procedures and tables from the MSSQL ACCOUNT DB. I've learned quite a bit, so far, and I've been making sure to comment all the code to make it easier for others to edit :p

Anyways, getting to the point, now. What do you guys think about using MySQL with CABAL instead of MSSQL? Would you switch your existing databases to MySQL? MySQL offers the benefit of being able to run on Linux, so MySQL DB's would completely rid the need of VMWare/Windows. However, MSSQL is a great piece of software. I'm waiting to here what you think :)

P.S. If you vote, please be so kind as to leave a comment. Thanks.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Congrats... But, I rather prefer MSSQL. Dunno, just an inception in my mind. MSSQL is that piece of awsome software, which you mentioned. And I think nothing can compare to it, it's Microsoft's work.

But, your succes, can prove that nothing is impossible. And for running for low resources, it's the best option.

What i've wrote here, it's just my opinion.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
wel i normaly have both mysql and mssql on the same machine but i lake the idea of geting rid om ms (prefer linux) to run a cabal server
great work tho Yamachi

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
I do consider MSSQL more powerful but MySQL is good enough for what we need. It's better make our software work with open source database solutions.

/agree, unique OS for Cabal pserver is powerful.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Totally agree with LostSpirit and cypher. And congratz for ur amazing idea/job.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
on my server i use mssql and i wld advise u(yama) focus on fixing the broken procs there, rather than transcoding it all to mysql for ease of use ... seems pointless to me, i use mysql for website only, but procs work faster in mssql from what i know :p but i may be wrong and some users wld maybe like a tdp release that doesn't imply using 2 hosts :D but that's only my opinion :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
on my server i use mssql and i wld advise u(yama) focus on fixing the broken procs there, rather than transcoding it all to mysql for ease of use ... seems pointless to me, i use mysql for website only, but procs work faster in mssql from what i know :p but i may be wrong and some users wld maybe like a tdp release that doesn't imply using 2 hosts :D but that's only my opinion :)

Don't worry, x. Once I've converted these DB's, I'll pretty much know the SQL DB inside and out. Ofcourse, this means I'll be fixing anything I think is broken. I'll also trim down the DB's by removing anything that's not needed. I'll probably add a lot of comments, too. We'll see.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Don't worry, x. Once I've converted these DB's, I'll pretty much know the SQL DB inside and out. Ofcourse, this means I'll be fixing anything I think is broken. I'll also trim down the DB's by removing anything that's not needed. I'll probably add a lot of comments, too. We'll see.

would be nice and a reason to switch my server to mysql only :thumbup:

Reaction score
I think,moving to MYSQL the whole procedures would be a tough work.
I don't think that the advantages that MYSQL provides are worthing this effort.
And ofcourse most of people are afriad of "something *NEW* " which can lead to a lot of new bugs.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The stored procedures actually aren't that hard to convert. I've been manually converting them over the past few days, and currently have login, character creation, world entry, etc all fully working (with lots of comments in the SP's, might I add). I have noticed that the server responds much quicker than it does with MSSQL, but that's obviously going to be the case seeing as the MySQL server is local to the CABAL server. TBH, I think it's mostly going to come down to personal preference.

Reactions: emi
Reaction score
However,there is still a lot of work to do.
I agree it's much faster,but i think the environment it's more complicated than the mssql one.
Most of people are not used with mysql and the bugs may appear...
So I guess it's a personal choice

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's really not that much difference between the 2 :p Also, MySQL is used a LOT with most server emulators, so people will be familiar with it.

Graveyard Networks
Reaction score
Id go for mysql too i guess. But to complete the information on this new journey would take like 1-2 months of continues running server for the owner to realize if its stable or not. This sure to help alot of new cabal admins when the development is fully finished

Back