Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

More Official-Like server?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
As the title suggests. What would people think of a World of Kung Fu server that is much closer to the official version when it was in it's prime.

Think level 60 or 80 cap(to start with) all stats, skill, items etc.. like they were on official(with slight modifications made over time in updates to fix issues if they arise).

I have had many discussions with players in recent years about how much fun they had on official, and how much of that fun was lost on the later private servers due to private devs(including myself) modifying so much of the game making it totally different to the original game.

So I have come into consideration of returning the game to it's roots, back when it was at it's peak and best(level 60 cap and 80 cap seems to be the general consensus on when wokf was at it's best) to both perhaps bring new players and return old players who lost interest due to the huge changes alike.

Low to mid rate server, designed so you can't just pop to max level and gear in a week without effort, one things recent servers(once again including my own) suffered from is a large count of "gankers" and immature/nasty players making things hard for those who just want to have fun, one of my theories as to why these kinds of players are so prevalent on private servers when they were much less so on official is the high rates and amazing ease of gaining gold and top gears. Players like this tend to be young(meaning they can't spend any real money) and lazy, on official to get strong enough to bully people took a lot of work or a lot of money, which such players simply cannot or do not often put in.

As such a server with lower rates and less easy means to amass large riches would abate such bad behaviour due to the higher difficulty of gaining the power to bully.

So I would like to start this discussion, how many of you think an official-like server would be a good way to try to bring back some popularity to this game?

What kind of rates(exp, drop, rep) do you think would work well as a balance between speed and difficulty?(lower rates also gives devs more time between major updates due to people maxing more slowly, making it easier to release updates that are not buggy, rushed or poorly balanced)

I look forward to hearing people ideas, thoughts and opinions about this.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'd say go for it! I have fond memories of the lv 80 cap days, and I would have to agree that it was way more fun. The only main problem the official had was unprofessional and very greedy attitude of the GM's, not to mention the player favoritism that was running rampant.For rates it didn't matter to me since I just liked talking mostly in chat and doing events :D:, I'd keep it normal. Though it's an aging MMO it definately has excellent potential given enough love :love:.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The idea of making an official like server isnt bad. Level cap of lvl 80 would be a great start, so that it will raise slowly to a higher level (by this i dont mean like every month to raise the cap , more like 6+ months when there are enough players to actually raise the cap and add new contents for higher levels).
Low to mid rate server, designed so you can't just pop to max level and gear in a week without effort - well this is a nice idea (at least for me since i dont have that much time to actually play since im not in school anymore and i have to work) and i would suggest to add some shelter charms to prevent the ones that get to cap lvl from killing low levels ( i dont mind pvp but hell if a lvl 80 comes to fight me when im lvl 30 what can i do lol )
Less easy means to amass large riches would abate such bad behaviour due to the higher difficulty of gaining the power to bully : it would be nice if you could offer some more info about this , like does it means we wont be able to collect to get coins and gold?
What kind of rates(exp, drop, rep) : hmm i would say around 10x exp , 10x drop and 1x rep ( since we should work hard to get king , right? )

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

Less easy means to amass large riches would abate such bad behaviour due to the higher difficulty of gaining the power to bully : it would be nice if you could offer some more info about this , like does it means we wont be able to collect to get coins and gold?
What kind of rates(exp, drop, rep) : hmm i would say around 10x exp , 10x drop and 1x rep ( since we should work hard to get king , right? )

To the first point, not removing the ability entirely no, but gaining such things would require more effort. As it is on current servers a player can run an instance or two for an hour and have over 1000 gold and possibly 100 million coins or more. So alongside the lower rates also adjusting the rates of gaining such things to fit alongside would mean that these lazier bully types could not only not level up to max in a week, but also not farm enough to make max gear in a week either. The point would not be to remove the ability to gain such things entirely, but to make it take more time and effort in a similar way to the exp, rep and drops.

To the second about the rates, I was thinking something similar. Maybe 10x exp solo, 15x teamed, about 8x loot and 1x or 2x rep. The exp I'm unsure about, possibly slightly higher such as 12x or 15x solo and 18x or 20x teamed. Levelling slower is good but people don't want to spend forever levelling, I'd have to do some tests to see just how long such rates would take to find a good balance.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
A Beta test will be coming soon based on the idea of this post, if anyone is interested head on over to my website linked in my sig to find out more on the forums.

Back